“cozy b&b”

Ranked #201 of 389 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Nashville
“cozy b&b”
Reviewed 19 April 2009

This is the second year in a row that I've stayed at the International Guest House. The owners are very nice and helpful. The rooms are clean and the breakfast is quite hearty. It was in a great location for me because I was attending a conference at Edinburgh University campus next to Arthur's Seat. The city is a mile or so off, but a good walk or quick bus ride. The bus system in Edinburgh is pretty good.

The guest house offers few amenities. Just a clean place to lay your head and stow your bags. You should be out and about anyway, not stuck in your hotel! Go see something!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
US
Reviewed 15 February 2009

We stayed during early February. Room was extremely cold the first evening - heat was only turned on during the evening and morning hours. Mattresses were hard; pillows were thin. Towels were even thinner - I would be ashamed to give them to my guests. No soap in bathroom. Phones had to be turned on by staff to be active and staff were unwilling to make reservation phone calls for us. Atmosphere was one of penny-pinching.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Europe
Reviewed 7 November 2008

The B&B was easy to find, I was greeted nicely by the landlady, yet when I got into my room - it was cold and had not been cleaned properly (there was still plastic rubbish under the bed and a used cotton bud was draped clearly visible on the main heater). It was bitterly cold at night in the room (they told me that apparently someone had turned the heater off and forgotten to heat up my room during the day) and it was the landlord who finally gave me an additional heater for my room but only after I had decided to cut my stay short.

Breakfast was nice, though not great.

I have been to B&Bs half the price with better service. You would also think that a four star guesthouse would not request their guests to pay a credit card surcharge.

• Stayed October 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tacoma, WA
Reviewed 28 August 2008

When I arrived at this hotel, I was promptly greeted and given my key. Unfortunately my room was up a couple of flights of stairs, I was limping (with a foot injury) and had a few pieces of luggage. There was no offer to carry my bags for me - it was my problem. Another customer offered to help me with them, but I refused as I didn't think it was appropriate to have him do that. He was a customer too.

I prompty left to see the sights, and didn't get back until evening. I found that they turn the bright "International Guest House" sign off at night - which made it difficult to see from the bus. They did this every night! When I arrived back at my room, I decided to take an evening shower - I found that there was no soap. Luckily I had taken an extra soap from a previous hotel - so I had a spare. Good thing! I guess they don't provide soap for their customers. I stayed for 3 nights - using one bar of soap (my own) between the shower and the sink, and they never provided any more.

After my shower, the room was very stuffy. I tried to open the window - and found that it was held shut by a bunch of pieces of paper they had wedged all the way around the window sill??? Strange, but there was nothing I could do about it - which made me feel like I was in a tomb. Next, I decided to make some hot chocolate. When I went to use the tea pot - I found that it still had old tea in it.

There was a sign in the room that requested that patrons settle their bill the evening before their departure. When I went to breakfast the morning before my departure, I let Karen know that I would be in late that evening - and asked when I should settle my bill. She told me to come back in about a half hour, when breakfast was done. I came back at that time - ready to settle my bill. The patrons in line before me were having difficulty. Apparently their credit cards would not work there. The gentleman worked with them for quite a while, and they finally ended up paying cash. They then requested a taxi. By this time, there was a line of people to check out or settle their bill - going all the way up the stairs. Karen was clearing dishes, so I thought he would ask her to call the taxi so that he could check the other patrons out. Nope, he went in back, and I could hear him calling the taxi - and giving them the details etc... and making us all wait. Finally I get to the front of the line. I let him know that I needed to settle my bill for tomorrow morning - because I would get in too late to do it that evening. He said, "just come back tomorrow then". I was not please, I had just stood in line for 20 minutes - as requested by Karen. I could not risk being delayed in the morning and missing my train. I refused to leave, and insisted he settle my bill - which he did, begrudgingy.

On my trip to England/Scotland, I stayed at 5 different budget hotels. This was the most expensive of all of them, and the worst service. I will never stay there again.

• Liked — The shower was nice
  • Disliked — The staff, lack of soap
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
ringwood hampshire uk
Reviewed 20 November 2007

Could not fault the cleanliness of the room etc. It was up 2 flights of stairs, no lift! Breakfast was pretty meagre, but acceptable. 5% charge for credit or debit card payment. Breakfast was8 - 9am even on Sunday and you felt as though you were a bit of a nuisance being there. Plates etc cleared immediately drinks gone if you were not careful before they were finished! We would not stay here again. The cost was £60pn and we think we would have been better in a budget lodge

• Liked — It was very clean
  • Disliked — Strange obsessive clearing around us when having breakfast
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
NW USA
Reviewed 12 June 2006

MOSTLY pleasant stay here for 6 nights in single ensuite room. About 20 minute walk to Royal Mile, but frequent easy bus service, stop very near to B&B. In general fairly clean, quiet and comfortable room in older building, bath fairly recently updated. Mid-stay one day their help apparently didn't come in to work so hosts did room cleaning and left door to my room unlocked; altho nothing was missing, I had left credit cards, etc. in room and was a bit disconcerted. When I relayed this information to the host when I returned that evening, he assured me that it was OK, it was only his wife who entered; I felt it was not OK, and told him my concern was only with other guests having access to valuables I had left in room. I needed to call the credit card companies and asked how to use the phone, at which point he couldn't really tell me how it worked and I never could make an operator assisted call from the room, had to walk to nearest pay phone. The incident of the unlocked room was less of a concern than the host's unhelpful attempt to just smooth it over. The whole exchange remained polite and non-confrontational, and I have to say that other than this they were friendly and helpful. Also have to say that the breakfast room was lovely and food very good. If I ever get to Edinburgh again I would probably stay here again, but only if I couldn't find lodgings closer to center for the same price.

• Stayed May 2006
1 Thank tumblingweed
Christchurch, Dorset
Reviewed 6 October 2005

I have just returned from a three night stay at the International Guest House. I found it spotlessly clean and well maintained. The owners were welcoming and friendly. The Guest House is only about 1.5 miles from the City Centre and there are numerous buses which go straight to the City Centre from almost outside the door of the guest house. There is a wide variety of items available for breakfast. Although my room was at the front of the house and there was therefore a small amount of traffic noise, the room boasted wooden shutters (as well as curtains) and I did not find the noise intrusive at all. For the quality of the establishment and it's quite central location, I thought it was also very reasonably priced. There are only three parking spaces so that might potentially be a problem but I believe that there is some parking available in a nearby side road although I did not check this myself.

• Stayed October 2005, travelled on business