“Very friendly”

Ranked #13 of 389 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
London
“Very friendly”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Clean, tidy, and very comfortable bed and breakfast in a great location. Food was lovely at breakfast, and there are nice restaurants in easy walking distance. The owners, Lizzie and Gary, were very friendly and delighted to help with anything. Really can't fault the Kingsway at all.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bess0101

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2013

From the moment you arrive you are made to feel very welcome, Lizzie and Gary are wonderful hosts. They are very approachable, helpful and make you feel at home. The guest house has private parking for guests (essential in Edinburgh city centre) and is ideally situated, close to all the tourist attractions, restaurants, shops and bars. The house itself is spotlessly clean, very spacious and the dining room with it's quirky little touches is delightful. Our bedroom was very well equipped, had plenty of room and a really comfortable bed. The decor in the bedroom (and in the whole house) is very tasteful and our ensuite was modern and very clean. Plenty of hot water, clean soft white towels and a good selection of complimentary toiletries etc.
Breakfast was superb! Excellent quality, big portions and plenty to choose from. The daily breakfast specials are great, something different every day, very imaginative (we had a toasted muffin with black pudding, bacon, poached egg and goats cheese) and wonderfully cooked.
Gary and Lizzie's guidance on where to eat in the city and what to do and see was invaluable. We love this place, would highly recommend and will definitely be back!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Susan_and_Richard
Troy, New York, United States
Reviewed 7 October 2013

My husband and I recently spent two nights here at the end of our Scotland trip and really enjoyed ourselves. We loved the neighborhood - it was convenient to all the touristy stuff and had some great restaurants nearby. The hosts were very accommodating (we spent a bit of time chatting with Lizzie) and she gave us the best recommendations for dining within walking distance. The B&B itself was clean, nicely decorated, updated and in a nice location. Our room wasn't the largest that we stayed in on our trip, but it was comfy and quite nice. As Americans who love our coffee, we were happy to see they had a coffee maker (and not just French Press which always made us very self-conscious about our coffee consumption). They have daily breakfast specials along with the standard fare that is all very yummy. We would highly recommend staying here when you're in Edinburgh!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michelle H
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 3 October 2013

This is a terrific bed and breakfast here in Edinburgh. It is about a mile from Eagerly Station (to the south). Nicely updated. I stayed in #6 and it was clean and well made-up. Price is reasonable since breakfast is included. Speaking of breakfast, everything I tried was great! The waffles and fresh fruit and cream are wonderful. I would stay here again if in Edinburgh.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank blackdog51
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Wonderful place to stay with hosts that made us feel at home and with lots of helpful suggestions on what to visit and where to have dinner nearby. Lots of choices for breakfast, all well prepared. A real plus is location, on a quiet street but near everything - so many Edinburgh B&Bs are on busy, noisy streets. We highly recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dean T
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Brilliant B&B situated handily close to where I was officiating a National League Hockey match on the Sunday.

The weather forecast was horrid for the weekend but this place certainly lightened my mood! A warm welcome and shown to a spacious double room (I'm 6ft 5!) and a nice en suite too!!

Enjoyed a coffee and some hockey chat with the owners and had a good nights sleep! Next day the breakfast was very tasty with good quality bacon, egg, sausage and of course Haggis!!

Free Wifi which allowed me to keep an eye on sports of course!!

I would definitely recommend this place to any of my friends and have no doubt I'll stay again IF AVAILABLE when I am down in Edinburgh!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Blair T
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I enjoyed a 4 night stay and would highly recommend this to anyone visiting Edinburgh. My room was very comfortable with a nice sized bathroom. Breakfast was delicious! And the boxed breakfast they provided on the day I took an early tour was a nice touch. The location was a little bit off the Royal Mile but I didn't mind that at all. Most of the time, I walked (took about 20 minutes, nice opportunity to work off the breakfasts). But I did take the bus a few times and only had to wait 5 minutes each time. They provide a hand drawn map of surrounding restaurants/pubs which was really helpful. And Holyrood Park was close which I loved. Since I was travelling alone, I was a little worried about staying in a less populated area. But the neighborhood felt very safe. You can tell that Lizzie and Gary really put a lot of heart into what they do and truly want their guests to get the most out of their visit. I hope I have the opportunity to return!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo