“Bliss”

Ranked #46 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Bliss”
Reviewed 14 March 2012

From driving up the drive to checking out, everything was perfect. The hotel was very busy with two weddings on but unless somebody had told me I would have been none the wiser. We didnt get any noise and were seperated from all the revellers which made our stay even more enjoyable. We ate in the Brasserie and the food was excellent, service was quick and efficient. We had breakfast early to avoid the crowds and again everyhting was fresh and service was quick.

The Spa is very well appointed and an excellent space to unwind in.

Our room was an executive and was very comfortable and modern. Very nicely designed and we had a small balcony which was great for popping out for a smoke and a TV in the Bathroom, very nice touch.

I worked in the hotel business for many years and I am usually very critical but I couldnt fault the place at all.

i would recommend to anybody.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ewen Y
Ronnie_MacKay, General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
Dear Ewen

Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a lovely reveiw of your stay with us at Norton House Hotel and Spa. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your visit. We have worked long and hard to try to ensure that all of the different parts of our business can run in harmony and I appreciate the fact that you noticed this. Thank you for the kind cooments also about the food and the service you received. I will make sure that the team are aware of your comments.

We look forward to your next stay with us.

R MacKay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
EDINBURGH
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We cannot thank the staff at Norton House enough (in particular Sara and Gavin) who helped us and all our guests feel welcomed and well looked-after in the hotel before, throughout and the day after our wedding. Our day ran smoothly, the ballroom looked incredible and everyone praised the quality of the wedding breakfast/ wine and service.
The rooms were modern, exceptionally clean and all requests were catered for. Nothing seems to phase the staff who are professional yet down to earth.
We can't wait to celebrate future occasions at Norton House.
An excellent hotel.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank ASHLEYBEdinburgh
Dear Ashley

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a lovely review of your wedding with us at Norton House. Settling in to married life can be quite hectic so I really do appreciate you finding the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. I am absolutely delighted that you had such a good time. I have already seen Gavin to pass on your comments and I will tell Sara when she returns from a short break she is enjoying just now. Please accept my congratulations on your wedding and I look forward to seeing you back at Norton House for many more celebrations in the future.

Edinburgh
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I stayed at Norton House on Friday night with my wife and 2 children (aged 6 & 4) and we had a lovely relaxing stay. We arrived on Friday evening and were greeted by a lovely gent on reception who made us feel very welcome. He checked us in, explained where evereything was and showed us to our beautifully appointed rooms. We had booked adjoining rooms and we were delighted with both, the kids thought the big screen tv's were awesome and loved Maisie the cat - the very clever replacement for a 'Do Not Disturb' sign!

We went to the pool with the kids and again the staff were very welcoming. The pool was brilliant, and very big so there was plenty of room for our little family in amongst the people actually wanting to swim lengths of the pool.

We all headed to the restaurant for dinner at 7pm and again we were made to feel very welcome. The kids loved the fact that they got proper menu's and the waiter was fantastic allowing us to pick and choose what we wanted for them and he obliged us by bringing theirs out as soon as it was ready. I must admit the kids did us proud, and behaved as close to impeccably as possible, but this was no doubt aided by the family friendly atmosphere we encountered throughout the evening. And to top it all, the food was brilliant!

Our night was very restful with the room being very peaceful and the beds comfortable. Our breakfast was again a joy with the kids being allowed to choose what they wanted off the cooked menu and the speed of service was very impressive. I thought the choice was very good and the ability to make my own granola pot was intriguing!!

Check out, with the same receptionist who checked us in, was again a pleasure and we were asked all the right questions!

We only had one quibble and that was that the carton of milk provided in the room was out of date and gone sour, but this was rectified within minutes by a call to room service. All in all a wonderful stay, and I would easily reccomend this for any couple or family looking for a peacefull break away.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Ronnie_MacKay, General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
Thank you for your fantastic review of Norton House Hotel and Spa. I am so delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay and it really seems that you made full use of our facilities. Family life can be so hectic nowadays that it is good to have a break from time to time. I am glad that you chose to spend your break with us. I will make sure that the members of our team that made you feel so welcome are made aware of your comments. Please accept my apologies for the sour milk in your fridge. I will ensure that I discuss this with my housekeeper in order that this does not happen again. I do hope that we will see you back at Norton House sometime in the not too distant future.

glasgow scotland
Reviewed 12 March 2012

the New Wing has made such a big difference. Rooms are modern and bright with great facilities.
The reception you get is always warm and the service at the bar is quick. Food at the bar is the best I've tasted and at very reasonable prices.

Didn't have time for Breakfast or to use the Pool/Spa but I'm definately going back.

Room Tip: Room 606/607 have their own balconies, ok they overlook the car park but squint left/right and you h...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a lovely review of Norton House Hotel and Spa on tripadvisor after your recent stay with us. I was happy to read how much you liked our new rooms. Thank you also for your comments regarding the reception you receive and how much you enjoyed your meal in the bar; I will ensure that the team are aware of your comments as they will be very encouraged by them. Hopefully the next time you come to stay with us you will have time to relax in our Leisure Club and Spa - I am sure you would enjoy it.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We stayed at the Hotel on Saturday 3rd March on the dinner, bed and breakfast rate. Hassle free check in and escorted to a nice clean and well presented room. Spent some time using the nice pool, sauna etc and went to relax at the main hotel bar. On arrival at the bar, there was no bar staff on behind the bar and the bar was full of dirty glasses, cups and plates. I waited at the bar for a few minutes before taking a seat thinking I would be served, after another few minutes with staff walking back and forward I approched the bar again and stood until eventually I placed my order. After my wife finished her tea she made her way to the spa for her treatment at 4,.30pm. From this time until 6.00pm, no member of staff cleared the table or offered me another drink, each time i had to jump upto the bar when someone went behind it. Under staffed or under trained?
I must say that the service at night during our meal was very good and food nice. Overall the stay was good but I think the service in some areas need to improve if they hotel want's to promote they are 4 stars.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 451Daggie
Ronnie_MacKay, General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a reveiw of your stay with us at Norton House Hotel and Spa. I am very grateful to you for all of the nice comments you made about our hotel and I will ensure that the team are made aware; they will be very encouraged. I am grateful to you for your constructive comments regarding the lounge service on Saturday and please be assured that this has been addressed with the staff on duty at that time. I thank you again for informing us of your experience with us and I hope we will be able to welcome you back to Norton House in the future.

Kind Regards

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Stayed here as rugby was on and hotels closer to the city centre were fully booked. Although out of town reception booked us a taxi in to the city for a night out.
It's close to the airport and the west of Edinburgh.
Rooms are large and bed really comfortable. All very Scottish which I love. Bathroom was good though a bit dated.
We ordered breakfast as room service and it was sparse for the price (ie pastries are tiny and only a small selection of fruit).
The staff were extremely welcoming and friendly.
There was no iron in the room (just a board) but one was delivered to the room shortly after we requested it.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for posting a review of Norton House Hotel and Spa after your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that you liked the room and that your bed was really comfortable, as a good night sleep is very important. I will ensure that the team are made aware of your kind comments about them being extremely welcoming and friendly. I have adressed the point regarding the missing iron with my housekeeper and this is being rectified. All of our rooms have irons and boards and I am unsure as to why this was missed on your stay. It was disappointing for me to read your comments around room service breakfast as we do pride ourselves on offering a great breakfast standard. However, I do take onboard your comments and we will revisit this area.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Kinross Scotland UK
Reviewed 3 March 2012

We stayed for one night Dinner Bed and Breakfast 24th February. Got a great deal, rooms are lovely, nice leisure facilities and food excellent. Have been several times before and will definatley be back.

Room Tip: Executive rooms on higher floors with balconies are great, flat scree TV's in the bathrooms, lov...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a brief review after your recent stay with us at Norton House Hotel and Spa. I am delighted that you took advantage of one of our "great deals", which we offer at various times through the year. It was lovely for me to read that you have beenn several times before and I look forward to seeing you return to the hotel in the future.