I have stayed at other Handpicked Hotels and have found them to be very good (Crathorne and Wood Hall Hotel and Spa).
I expected a Country House experience at Norton House - not to be. I feel disappointed and let down.
Beautiful drive and building - good so far. Entrance lovely and pleasant and helpful staff. I was advised that we had been upgraded - an unexpected suprise.
Then we went downhill. Room overlooked a car park (I had requested a nice view when I made my booking). Bathroom excellent, but the bed.... It was clearly past its best - hard, squeaky and sagged in the middle - not a typical handpicked bed. Bath robes tatty and one was stained.
I asked if there were any other rooms available and was shown to one in the same block on the ground floor next to the lift- on the way to the spa. I declined this - to be fair to the hotel there was a wedding on and a private function (much in evidence!) so there were very few rooms available. The receptionist was very pleasant, as were all the staff.
I did not enjoy the spa area - one lady using the pool in her underwear. Changing facilities poor.
We slept very poorly - the bed was very uncomfotable and the pillows tatty and I would have thrown them out years ago. Breakfast only just average No fresh juice at breakfast - why?
All in all a most disappointing stay and not typical of Handpicked Hotels. I felt I was staying in a motel or airport hotel. No country house experience at all. Public arears/bar tatty and lots of dirty glasses in evidence.
Ushers restaurant however superb - loved it.
This is not a hotel for couples looking for a country house experience - particularly when there are private functions on-going.
I would never stay at this hotel again. I would have left immediately, had it not been for the 6 hour drive ahead of me.
A good point however - I filled in the comment sheet and Pier the front of house manager rang before I arrived home (he was going on holiday). I spoke with him and he said he welcomed my comments - however Piers - please try sleeping in that bed.
I get no pleasure from writing this review and have tried to be balanced - there are much better hotels in the handpicked collection. wish we had stayed again at Crathorne
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Norton House Hotel & Spa, one of the finest country house hotels in Edinburgh and AA Hotel of the Year Scotland 2010. The perfect backdrop to any wedding in Scotland, this romantic venue will make your Scottish Wedding dream come true. Built in 1840, Norton House Hotel & Spa in Edinburgh, Scotland was always intended as a traditional country retreat, removed from the bustle of the city. This four star hotel in Scotland is just a 20-minute drive from Edinburgh city centre and a mere ten minutes away from Edinburgh Airport. Situated in 55 acres of grounds, Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh offers 83 bedrooms, including 36 luxury executive bedrooms, junior suites and the master suite. Norton House Hotel in Scotland offers the popular contemporary Brasserie. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Booking.com, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Norton House Hotel And Spa Edinburgh
- Norton Hotel Edinburgh
- Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh Scotland