“Second visit and even better than last time!”

Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh
Ranked #39 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Finally got round to staying again thanks to a voucher for my birthday!

The lovely Natasha on reception upgraded us to a Suite!

The room was huge, with an upstairs sitting area, 3 tv's and 2 bathrooms, potentially bigger than my entire flat!

We started our stay off with a delicious afternoon tea in the Drawing Room, with champagne of course! Suitably stuffed we then retired back to our room for a nap before dinner.

We were greeted in the Restaurant by our waitress where we were offered our champagne and canapés in the bar area whilst we looked at the menu.

I had to check whether there was a supplement for the steak and was delighted to be told no- have previously found there are limitations at hotels where dinner is included!

Breakfast the next day we opted to have in our room as we had the space to enjoy it upstairs!

Yet again a faultless stay, all the staff we met were polite and friendly! Hopefully we will be back soon!

Thank you and keep up the good work!

• Stayed: April 2012
Ronnie_MacKay, General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a lovely account of your recent stay with us at Norton House Hotel and Spa. I am delighted that you enjoyed your birthday treat with us. It is really important to us that our guests enjoy their stays with us and I know that supplements on dishes in restaurants can be an irritation. This is why we have chosen not to charge any supplements in the Brasserie for our Dinner, Bed and Breakfast guests. There is also the option to upgrade to our 3 Rosette Restaurant, Ushers, where an allocation is put towards dinner. I will ensure that all departments are made aware of your kind comments, especially Natasha.

I do hope that we will see you back at Norton House very soon.

R MacKay

Write a ReviewReviews (1,493)

Reviewed 14 April 2012

We stayed on a short business/family trip this week and had a great room, good food in the brasserie but best of all some excellent service particularly from Callum in food and beverage and Jennifer (I think) on reception - they were excellent.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Ronnie_MacKay, General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a brief review of your stay with us last week. I will ensure that Callum and Jennifer are made aware of your kind comments and, hopefully, we will see you back at Norton House Hotel and Spa in the near future.

Reviewed 10 April 2012

Having stayed at the hotel previously for a wedding, this visit was to try and use the Spa and
full facilities.
We had a warm welcome, and the room was very clean , with great decor.
There was a wedding taking place on the Sat night, but even with guests milling around from the wedding. The hotel was big enough , and lots of rooms, to still allow you to relax.
We did not dine at the hotel, however we sampled the in room breakfast, which was of a high standard. It did arrive late , but we had a call to keep us updated.
The Spa , was a great place to start our Sunday morning, very clean and a very good facility.
Would have not hesitate to book again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building. make sure you use the SPA
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Ronnie_MacKay, General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of Norton House Hotel and Spa following your recent stay with us. I am very glad that you enjoyed yourself and had the opportunity to visit our Spa. Hopefully the next time you stay with us you will be able to have a meal in one of our restaurants; I am sure you would enjoy it also. I look forward to seeing you back at the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 9 April 2012

Went to Norton House for a break with a friend over Easter for no other reason than it was on offer in the magazine I was reading at the hairdressers (and I didn't have to fly on a bank holiday) but what a pleasant surprise. As I arrived I was a bit dubious as the satnav lead us through an industria estate, but once through the gates you would think you were in the middle of the country. The property is 15 mins form Edinburgh airport, but is surrounded by attractive gardens and trees and is bordered by farmland. The reception is housed in the older part of the building and is like walking into an old manor house. Some of the bedrooms are in this part along with some meeting and function rooms and the restaurant and bar are in a more modern extension. The spa is in a separate building next to a more modern function suite. our room was tastefully decorated and clean with exception of some marked net curtains. Although we reported these to reception, they wee not addressed during our stay. One of the cutest features, is the toy cat that is in each room and acts as the do not disturb signal.....you simply put the cat outside your room when you retire...very nice touch! The spa is modern clean and comfortable and I had one of the best hot stone massages I have had anywhere in the world. The spa has a nice bar area which serves food and a swimming pool with sauna, steam room and large jacuzzi. There a some beds for relaxing poolside and spacious well equipped changing rooms. It would have been nice to see a staff member occasionally in the pool area because there were some children jumping in the pool which made swimming a bit of a challenge on one of the days and a canoodling couple in the jacuzzi was a bit off putting for the rest of us !! The weakest part of our stay was undoubtedly the food. There are two restaurants; a fine dining one and a brasserie. As part of our package we had dinner in the brasserie in the evenings and as we were there for three nights, a changing menu or a least a chefs special of the day would have been better. There was also a bit of inconsistency with the food, in that I had the same dish one evening as my friend had ordered the previous evening and the presentation was different and there was s different sauce. The most outstanding thing by far though at Norton House is the employees. Everyone of them without exception that we had contact with was smiling friendly and helpful and in this day and age that is a pleasant and refreshing change. We felt welcome and cared for and we will definitely go back. If you are looking for a good value spa break where standards are not compromised and customer service still matters, Norton House is a very good choice.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Threestripe

Thank you so much for posting a review of your stay at Norton House Hotel and Spa. I am very happy that you enjoyed a "lovely spa break" with us. We have had several comments regarding Satnavs leading people through a local industrial estate to get to us. Unfortunately this is a matter totally outwith my control and I think it depends on which direction you are approaching the hotel from. We have two entrances to the hotel and,as you say, once you get here you think you are in the country. I will pass on your kind comments regarding the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. I was also delighted to read how much you enjoyed your hot stone massage. We are aware that kids can sometimes be quite lively in the pool and due to this we have various times during the day when the pool is reserved for adults only. I have taken on board your comments regarding the food. All of our menu items are prepared in-house and as we employ quality chefs they do retain a bit of poetic license with dish presentation. A different sauce on a dish on two consecutive days is not something that should happen and I will enquire as to why this was. As stated, we do have two restaurants. As part of our packages, the Brasserie menu is included with no supplements. Should you wish to dine in Ushers there is an allowance made. I do beleive that we have a great array of different menu items available however, should you feel restricted during your next stay with us please do mention this to our staff and I am sure they can offer alternatives.

Again, please accept my thanks for your constructive comments; it is only with points such as these that I can continue to improve the hotel's standards.

Reviewed 8 April 2012

Fabulous location, not too far from the airport if you want to cab it. Personally, this is a great place to stay if you have your own car and are on your way into or out if Scotland on a touring holiday. Love the remote feel of it. Hotel staff were helpful and polite. They took great effort in showing you to your room and explaining how the hotel worked. Food at the hotel was excellent and delicious. Remember to bring cozzies and book a spa treatment. Simply divine. Overall, an excellent experience. Only wished I lived in Edinburgh so I could do the spa thing over and over again.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank PostcardTraveller

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of Norton House Hotel and Spa on Tripadvisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us so much. Although you don't live in Edinburgh I do hope you will be able to come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed 8 April 2012

Just returned after 2 night Easter break. Have been going to Edinburgh for years, usually stay at Dalmahoy but was offered this hotel via Secret Escapes as a package deal. Overall, very good.

The hotel is almost straight across from the airport so isn't exactly close to the town centre. But there is the Ingliston park and ride straight over the A8 which has regular bus service to city centre.

At arrival we were met by Piers, front of house manager, who checked us in and then escorted us personally to the room. Room 601 is for disabled clients (I'll come back to this) and was simply huge! But it was cold, very cold. The air blown heating wasn't on and it took fully half an hour to heat up once it was put on. This was a recurring theme all weekend. But the bathroom has underfloor heating, which was awesome. And a TV in the bathroom as well!

I've noted some adverse comments about the beds. Well, no complaints from me. Bed was comfy, linen and towels were spotless clean.

Ate in the brasserie both nights (part of the deal) and the food is excellent. The handcut chips are unbelievable, possibly best I've ever tasted! And so is the crispy duck egg starter. Didn't try Ushers, seemed pointless when the brasserie was so good.

No complaints about breakfast, usual fare with hot and cold buffet with an extras menu. Did hear some people moan about speed of service but it was busy and what do you expect! If you want faster service, get out of bed a little earlier and don't go at peak times. Can thoroughly recommend the smoothies.

Had planned on making more use of the spa but I wasn't feeling well so ended out only using it for a facial for my wife. But from what I saw it looked really good, nicely laid out with good facilities such as gym, pool etc. Prices were a little on the high side I thought but I think this is the way the spa market is moving.

Now, my gripes. These are unique to our situation. My wife is disabled and has to use a wheelchair. There is no access ramp at reception other than one of those temporary 'foldable' one's which had to be lifted and laid every time we wanted to use the front door. The building is listed and I know the planning gurus in Edinburgh are very awkward with these things. But this was just an extra hassle we could have done without and I'm sure someone, somewhere can come up with a solution.

Also, the route to our room was, frankly, confusing and involved taking a lift from reception to 1st floor, then walking along a corridor to another lift to go back down again to the floor for the disabled room 601. What made this worse was that the lift kept breaking down and had to be reset by the staff. Not good, especially when this made you fearful of using the lift in case the next breakdown was when you were in it! We ended out simply walking through the carpark to our room where I had to push my wife through a small shrub border to the room's own patio, then going in that way. I think this whole aspect of the hotel needs a rethink as I'm convinced it could be made much better for guests with mobility problems.

It may sound as if we didn't enjoy ourselves, but we did. Mostly. I would recommend the hotel to anyone who isn't mobility challenged. But frankly, if you have mobility issues AND perhaps worse still are elderly (I'm fit enough to cope with these snags, others may not be so), then I'm afraid my recommendation would be Dalmahoy.

Stayed: April 2012

I am very grateful to you for taking the time to post a review of your break with us at Norton House Hotel and Spa over Easter. I was so glad to read how much you enjoyed your stay and I will ensure that the team are made aware of your lovely comments regarding the food and your room. I am sorry that your room was cold on arrival and I will discuss this matter with my Housekeeper to ensure this is rectified.

Over the years we have put together several plans regarding disabled access into the hotel but we have found it very difficult to arrive at a permanent solution that is complementary to a building constructed in 1840. We will continue to investigate this but meantime we do have a mobile ramp that is used for this purpose. We do have several fully accesible rooms in different parts of the building so I am sure that we could find one more convenient for you on your next stay.

I do hope we will see you back ay Norton House in the future.

Reviewed 8 April 2012

Myself and my daughters, a friend and her daughter fancied a last minute night away.
each had a Classic Room - which was lovely. The Hotel were kind enough to provide a sofa bed, and there was plenty of room for the 3 of us in our room, which was decorated to a high standard. The colours are nice and subdued with solidly built dark wood furniture, and a great big plasma TV much to the delight of the children!

We had a wonderful dinner in the Brasserie. The staff were very polite and accomodating. Nothing was too much trouble. The food was fantasic, and reasonably priced. Kids meals are around £5, and dishes such as Sea Bass and Sirloin Steak for adults was £15-20 with good portion sizes. We also really enjoyed our breakfast in the Brasserie, where again the staff were lovely and helpful.

Swimming times for Children are 9-11am and 3-7pm, so we had a couple of visits to the pool at the Spa. It's was lovely. Children under 16 must be accompanied, which is good, as I think it ensures that children don't run riot and disturb those there for a relaxing Spa Day! The kids were very impressed with the pool, and did manage a sneaky dip into the whirlpool!

We had a great time, and would go again in a shot! I have been here previously for a Spa Day which was also fantastic, and I would certainly have no hesitation in recommending Norton House.

A big thank you to all the staff who made our stay so enjoyable and relaxing :-))

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank PippyNic

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of you recent stay with us at Norton House Hotel and Spa. I am delighted that you had such a good time and I will ensure that the team are aware of your lovely comments. Our Brasserie food is part of our business that we think long and hard about as we do want to provide dishes that are appealing from both a quality and a cost point of view. I am very glad you enjoyed your meal.

I do hope that we will see you back at Norton House very soon.