“Totally luxurious stay”

Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh
Ranked #40 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We stayed the night for my partners birthday, and we were not disappointed. The grounds were lovely and the check in and out quick. Shown to our gorgeous room- we loved it and would've stayed a month!! It was spotless, comfortable, spacious and modern. Had a great massage each and free use of the spa facilities. Service all fantastic. Food great; we had dinner in Ushers, the fine dining restaurant- the waiter superb (can't remember his name but he spoke German and English), our only complaint though, whilst the food was tasty, there needs to be more choice for non fish and red meat eaters......

Great nights sleep after walking round the city the day before, and a hearty breakfast.

All staff friendly and helpful. Very highly recommended. Thanks!

Room Tip: Worth paying a bit more for a room upgrade.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 2012k_g
Ronnie_MacKay, General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of Norton House Hotel and Spa following your stay with us for your partner’s birthday. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed yourselves. We are very proud of what the team have achieved in Ushers over the years and I will pass on your comments regarding your dinner. I will also ensure that the team are aware of your lovely views of their levels of service and friendliness – they will take great encouragement from this.

Again, thank you for letting us know your thoughts and I trust that we will see you return at Norton House in the future, maybe for your birthday next time.

R MacKay

Write a ReviewReviews (1,520)

Reviewed 27 August 2012

A fine mixture of old and new with good food, pleasant efficient service; our new suite was excellent, split level. Would have been better to have a second proper bed rather than a sofa, but that was comfortable and more than adequate. Lovely bathrooms, annoyingly fiddly electronic lighting systems. Nice touches abound like the toy cat.

Good breakfast included, very good spa pool, sauna and steam room. Quite a long drag from the City centre and an informal shuttle bus only to the airport.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Ronnie_MacKay, General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2012

I am very grateful to you for taking the time to post a review of your stay at Norton House Hotel and Spa in August. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed our hotel. The Duplex Suite that you occupied has proved very popular with a lot of our guests. I take on board your comments regarding the “fiddly electronic lighting systems and in fact this week we are totally replacing the system in one of these suites. Once we see if a simplified version is better we will introduce this to the other suites also. The journey to the city is very straight forward and we do drop guests at the Park and Ride at the Airport when requested. We do this as the local bus service is able to use the bus lanes all the way into the town which makes the journey quicker as our transport is not allowed to use these lanes. Again, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and hopefully we will see you back at Norton House in the future.

Reviewed 26 August 2012

This is an excellent hotel, close to the airport but hidden away in extensive grounds. The rooms are first class although not huge and the staff could not be more helpful. It is however a bit of a maze as extension has been added to extension making it a memory test to find your way to your room. The bar area is quite small but the restaurant has a good menu and reasonable prices. We did not have time to check out the spa complex but having to go out of the hotel to reach it is a negative point.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Ronnie_MacKay, General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your family’s stay with us at Norton House Hotel and Spa. I was delighted to read that you think Norton House “is an excellent hotel”. I will ensure that the team are made aware of your kind comments about them; they will take great encouragement from this. I do confess that some of our guests do find the new wing of rooms a bit of a maze but we have put many signs up to guide our guests around this part of the hotel. I do hope that you will be able to visit our spa the next time you stay with us as I am sure you would have enjoyed it. Although it is a separate building, it is only a very short walk and is well worth the effort.

Thank you again.

Reviewed 25 August 2012 via mobile

As part of the "hand picked hotels" to be honest, I personally would have expected more, our first room was like a sauna no A/C and TV did not work called down TV buggred .... Reception offered a room change ( stay was to be close to airport) we took it and thank the gods room much better, larger with A/C and a balcony much better and enjoyed the rest of stay, we choose the half board evening meal included but dots not joined up we got a bill and for the 2nd time had to explain what we where expecting and pay for, joine the dots guys ........ Enjoyable stay apart from the stated would use again as opposite Edinbourgh Airport

• Stayed: August 2012

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor following your visit to Norton House Hotel and Spa. I was glad to read that you had an enjoyable stay and that you would use our hotel again. We have a variety of room types available. The first type of room that you were allocated is one of our classic rooms and the second was one of our Executive rooms. Our executive rooms come with a host of additional facilities including air conditioning, balcony and a tile-vision TV in the bathroom, to name but a few. I do apologise for the TV not working in your first room and the inaccuracies on your dinner bill. I do appreciate your constructive comments; it is only with points such as these that I can continue to improve the hotel’s standards.

Reviewed 23 August 2012

My partner and I stayed here for the fringe festival the hotel is about a 15-20min drive from the centre so it was quite handy to get in and out. We stayed in one of the executive suites, had lunch dinner and breakfast, massage each and tried out all of the spa area. The room was spotlessly clean with all the goodies which come with 5 star, the tv and phone in the bath was a nice touch. All the food we tried was lovely, our order did get messed up at lunch but we didn't notice as we had indulged in a couple of the very well made, tastey and very strong cocktails, but the member of staff took lunch off the bill straight away which was a good sign of customer service in my view. Dinner was very good with a good selection on the menu, the cheese board was lacking in a bit of excitement for me with a bog standard selection you get in a tesco pack up, but still nicely laid out and tasty. The spa building is brand new everything works and looks great! This part of the stay guaranteed we would stay again. We had the whole place to our selves and really enjoyed every minute, and have a massage if you go.

All the staff were friendly and chatty and it feels very genuine unlike some places we have stayed, the staff came across professional and relaxed in the work areas. We will definitely be staying here again when we go back to Edinburgh.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Shug1984
Ronnie_MacKay, General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of Norton House Hotel and Spa after your recent visit to the fringe festival. I was delighted to read that you had a “great time away”. I will make sure that my team are made aware of your comments, they will be very encouraged by them. I am sorry that your lunch order was wrong but it was pleasing to read that my staff rectified the situation. I take on board your comments regarding the cheese selection and I will ask our Head Chef, Graeme, to look at this. The next time you stay with us it might be worthwhile dining in our 3 Rosette Restaurant, Ushers. I am sure you would enjoy it and I don’t think you will find the selection of cheeses in this restaurant to be available in a supermarket. I am glad that the staff came across as genuine. This is an area that we work on so its great that you appreciated it. Again, thank you for letting us know your thoughts and I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 21 August 2012

stayed a Sunday evening for a little treat, I'm pregnant with only a few weeks to go so was nice and close for us. the room was lovely and this was a basic classic! I did overlook a delivery area and there was a loud generator also, if we return with the baby will defo ask to move rooms but wasn't too much of an issue for us to sleep through. when we arrived there was no milk for tea or coffee, when we returned from spa a few hours later it was there, could have done with a cuppa on arrival though! spa was great, in hindsight wished I booked treatments but only booked the hotel the afternoon before so when we arrived there was only a couple of half hour spaces which weren't long enough for more than probably a polish etc, I fancied a massage and facial! lovely relaxing day spent by the poolside! food was amazing .... I had ox cheek ... was delicious!! breakfast was a bit sparse, there was very little fruit and no yogurt at a ll, asked for some and waited about 15mins, asked again to be told there was none! husband had full breaky and said it was lovely. can't wait to return with the wee one for another relaxing short break.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Ronnie_MacKay, General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us at Norton House Hotel and Spa. I was very happy to read what a great time you had and that you can’t wait to return. Next time you come to stay don’t forget to book your Spa treatments in advance as the Spa does get busy and I am sure you would really enjoy yourself. Please accept my apologies for the fact that the milk was not in your room on arrival. We do put fresh milk in every room as I feel this is a better standard than the small jiggers. I wish you had mentioned this at the time as my staff would have brought you some immediately. I am glad that it was in your room when you got back from the Spa. I will investigate the noise you mentioned as we do not have a generator at the hotel. I also apologise for the fact that we ran out of yoghurt. This should not have happened, however, I am glad that your husband enjoyed his breakfast.

May I send you my best wishes on the imminent arrival into your family and I do hope to see you back at Norton House soon.

Reviewed 20 August 2012

The welcome we got when checking in was fabulous and reception staff were delightfully helpful throughout our whole stay. The room was clean and very comfortable (lovely bed) and the gym facilities were great. Breakfast and dinner at the hotel was good but the drinks were a little overpriced (£7 for two black coffees- it doesn't even cost that much in well known branded high street coffee retail shops)

I would return for a relaxing stay.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank your very much for posting a review of Norton House Hotel and Spa following your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read your lovely comments regarding our reception staff – I will share your comments with them. I was also happy that you enjoyed the gym and dinner and breakfast. I take on board your views on the coffee and we will continue to monitor our pricing in this area. I do believe that when the surroundings and service levels are considered, we do offer great value for money. Thank you again for your review and I do hope we will see you back at our hotel in the future.