“A Well Deserved Spa Day”

Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh
Ranked #41 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 20 September 2012

A girly spa day with 2 good chums was just what was needed having been very busy at work.
We had a package of 3 treatments throughout the day. Massage, then a facial and we opted for pedicures.
The Therapists are all very pleasant, chatty and very good BUT their timings are all very variable for example. We were all scheduled for a treatment at the same time and duly taken from the lounge area but our chum was collected 5minutes after us and was returned to relax lounge before us by 5minutes.....so resulting in a shorter treatment.
We had a 2 course lunch which was pre ordered when we arrived in the morning. When it came to lunch and we waited 40minutes for our main course and then only had 15 minutes to eat it very quickly before our next appointment. Not ideal for a relaxing day.
Despite the poor timings our experience was very good facilities are excellant and treatments are worth it.
We will be back.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your Spa day with us at Norton House Hotel and Spa. I was very happy to read how much you enjoyed your visit and that you found the facilities excellent and the therapists pleasant and chatty.
I have noted your feedback regarding treatment timings and will discuss this with the Spa Manager, Sarah, and her team.
I am delighted you intend to return to the Spa in the future and look forward to welcoming you back for another girly spa day.

Reviewed 18 September 2012

Oh dear where do I start!! we used to live outside Edinburgh so when I knew I needed to be there for a day, and we wqanted to see friends in th eevening for a meal near the airport, I thought immediately of Norton House. A lovely situation, nice building, recent spa - what more could I want?

Well, building, location and rooms all fine - it was when 'humans' got involved the trouble started. I have cancer in my spine so some mobilty difficulty, so I always ask for a room near reception so I don't have miles to walk. Never had a problem anywhere else - Norton House put me in the furthest room from reception they could, but you don't realise that til you've reached it, and the idea of trekking back to reception, an argument after a 4 hour drive, and then potentially another trek - we just stayed put. Not a good start.

The room itself was fine - except the bathroom was set for one, with 1 bath and 1 hand towel, and toiletries for one. After rummaging, we found extra towels in the wardrobe, but it was booked for double occupancy and should have been made up as such.

Dinner for 4. 3 main orders arrived - I ordered chicken and got salmon! They offered to take the other meals and keep them warm for 15 minutes or so til my order was cooked, but that's hardly fair to the others so they ate their mains and then watched me pick at mine. I'm normally a good eater, but the chicken was dry, having been halved to cook quickly I guess, the fondant potato hard, the broad beens raw, the cheese mousse tough - it was a disaster! And no-one apologised - not even the waitress who said she checked her pad and she'd written chicken but pressed the wrong button on the computer!! Insult to injury, we were charged for this meal - I didn't pay so cannot complain too much but the standard of "service" was appalling!

Sleep that night was impossible - the mattress had a bigger sag than you'd expect in a £20 a night B&B bed, and with my poor back I was not a happy bunny. Never mind, breakfast will make up for it. Err, no. We ordered one of the house specialities, ham and poached eggs. Waitress came back 10 minutes later - no ham, choose something else! House speciality but we don't have it!! The cooked breakfast I was finally served was cold and pretty unappetising - I've had better from a buffet in terms of quality.

On checking out I was askled how our stay had been. I said not very good and the front of house manager offered his card to email him with details and he would follow up. Tthat email was sent over a week ago and guess what? No response!

We do need to be in Edinburgh several times a year. Will I consider Norton House again? Not a chance in hell until I hear it has new management because that it was seems to be sadly lacking in almost every department I had dealings with.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank broomsticklady2
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post this review, following the email you sent to us regarding your recent stay last week. Receiving feedback whether positive or negative is crucial in assessing our service and standards delivery and allows us the opportunity to enact changes or ensure that we continue to carry on what we do well in the areas that you have highlighted.

I am sorry that our Front of House Manager did reply to you sooner, unfortunately he was on holiday when the email was sent. I have since spoken to Piers, who I know contacted you immediately on his return and has since sent you an email addressing the feedback you gave us.

The reason you were allocated the room in question was that it was the closest twin room to our reception and is on the same level as our main reception. I know Piers has spoken to the Front of House Team about the importance of pointing out where all the facilities are in the bedrooms, but apologise that this did not happen on this occasion.

I apologise for the mix up with your restaurant order and the fact that there was no hand carved ham in the morning. Our Food & Beverage Manager and our Head Chef have since been spoken to about these issues, so thank you for informing us about this, as now they can address these issues with their teams.

Once again, thank you for your feedback, I know Piers is waiting on your reply to him and will be in contact soon.

Reviewed 17 September 2012 via mobile

Second time staying here. Nice quiet location with very nice facilities. Great deal for dinner, bed and breakfast. Brasserie dinner choices very good as was breakfast - Arnold Bennett Omlette, pancakes and bacon and Poached haddock on offer as well as full breakfast. room was good but would upgrade next time. Well worth a visit to chill out.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank MilltownBrother

Thank you for posting a review of Norton House Hotel and Spa following your recent stay with us. I was so happy to read what a good time you had. I do hope we will see you back at our hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed 17 September 2012

We booked an executive room but were upgraded to a junior suite when we mentioned it was our wedding anniversary. Very pleasant and helpful staff made this an excellent experience. Also thanks for returning he birthday card I inadvertently left behind. excellent service! Many places would simply have binned it.

Suite very nice, dinner and breakfast also.mgood location for airport and easy access to motorway network.

• Stayed: September 2012

First of all may I offer you my congratulations on your wedding anniversary. Secondly thank you for taking the time to post a review of your visit to Norton House Hotel and Spa after your stay with us for the aforementioned anniversary. I am delighted that we were able to upgrade you in order to make your stay even more special. I will ensure that the team are aware of your kind comments about their pleasantness and helpfulness; they will be very encouraged. I hope we will be given the opportunity to welcome you back to Norton House in the future.

Reviewed 15 September 2012

It was a dream of mine to visit the Edinburgh Fringe, I brought tickets and looked online for a hotel. Well I couldn't find anything, then I found this hotel on secret escapes and booked straight away as knew it was the deal of the century. The hotel is only a 15-20 mins from the centre of Edinburgh, it included breakfast and we got upgraded to an executive room.

The pros

The spa - we didn't book the hotel for the spa, but OMG are we glad we did. The spa pool is so relaxing, the jacuzzi is very big and could seat a whole rugby team (I wish). We have stayed at other hand picked hotels before and have always been more than impressed with their spa facilities. This is the best yet, with a relaxing room to chill out in once you have had your treatments (we had massages which were on offer whilst we were there), there you can help yourself to a selection of teas and fruit. A big selection of magazines to read in the reception area also. The staff were brilliant and made us feel very special indeed, which takes me on to my next pro...

The service from all staff during our stay was outstanding. From when we arrived, a nice lady took our bags up to our room and showed us how to use all the amenities, to us leaving with many tips on what to watch out for at the fringe..

The cocktails - this is no secret, I love a good cosmopolitan, but it has to be strong and sweet. Well Norton House did not disappoint, me and my partner had many cocktails before lunch, so much so that we didn't even realise we were eating the wrong order until our last bite lol. The waiter was very sorry, but we were not fussed and they dealt with it straight away so everyone was happy.

Food - We had lunch, breakfast and dinner in the hotel and the food was to a good standard in my opinion, the meat on my fork just fell away it was so tender.

Cons

Wedding noise that side of the hotel - we stayed in an executive room which was very spacious and after a long drive and spending all afternoon in the spa (enjoying good food and cocktails) me and my partner went to bed quite early so we were woken by some noise as a wedding party was leaving. If we hadn't have gone to bed so early it wouldn't have been a problem but thought I would mention it. We usually take earplugs if we o anywhere on a weekend as there is always a wedding or two anywhere you go nowadays.

Cold that side of the bed - the right side of the bed next to the windows was very cold, my partner thought I was exaggerating so he slept that side of the bed and said the same thing the next morning. Don't have a clue what was causing it lol.

Balcony - we loved having a balcony and wish that they had some seating and a table on it as we would have liked to have ordered room service and ate out on the balcony as it was a rare sunny evening in Scotland :-)

Long way to some rooms - it is a big hotel so some rooms are a little further away than others, we didn't care much (ours was about 3 min walk to reception) but I know some people can be picky about this.

Room Tip: The executive room has a tv in the bath which is good if you want to watch something and don't w...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such an in depth review on Tripadvisor following your visit to Norton House Hotel and Spa. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay and how many of our facilities you were able to make use of. We are very fortunate to be chosen as the venue for numerous weddings through the year but they do not normally impinge on the other guests in the hotel. I am sorry if you were a little disturbed on this occasion. I can offer no explanation as to why one side of the bed would be cold but, again, please accept my apologies that this was the case.

Reviewed 10 September 2012

Nice and quiet location in the green: 10 minutes from airport and 30 min. from city. Shuttle bus for airport isn't handy/free.
Hotel has an antique castle and a newly built section built in style. The new one is well built but with no charme.
Spa opening hours are very short.
Service is under expectations.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Viaggiatore_esigente

I am sorry that you didn’t feel that our hotel meets your expectations. I was happy to read that you felt that our location was nice and quiet and I do agree with you that this is the case. We did used to offer a free shuttle service to and from the airport but the added security over the last few years made this service too complicated and costly to carry on. We are very proud of the latest rooms that we added to the hotel but everyone has their own tastes and these rooms do not appear to be to yours. We do receive a huge amount of positive comments about them. Our departmental opening times are constantly reviewed and I do not agree that our spa opening times are very short. Again, please accept my apologies that we did not meet your expectations.

Reviewed 9 September 2012

We stayed in a double bedroom recently and from when you walk into reception to check in, the quality on offer is apparent to see. The management and staff were all friendly and made us feel welcome.
The room was spacious and well equiped with decent furniture and the bathroom was spacious and clean.
All in all, a quality hotel all round.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank your very much for posting a review of Norton House Hotel and Spa following your stay with us in August. I was delighted to read your lovely comments regarding, not just the staff, but also the room and furnishings. I do hope we will see you back at our hotel in the future.