“My wifes 60th Birthday”

Ranked #43 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Scotland
“My wifes 60th Birthday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

Wanting something nice, casual and not stuffy & formal she chose The Brasserie Restaurant, at The Norton Hotel, Ingliston, Edinburgh.
WHAT A FABULOUS CHOICE!
Until my recent retirement, my wife and I have photographed hundreds of weddings at The Norton over many years. This was just our second visit as customers. Again I must say that the choice was just fantastic.
In my opinion, The Norton House Hotel just has to be one of the best run hotels in Scotland, if not THE best. Despite there being two simultaneous weddings at the Norton on Saturday, everything from initial welcome to leaving at night everything was just perfect. The management presence was noticed keeping an eye on this well co-ordinated, perfect operation.
Food? Well, the reputation of this place speaks for itself. Perfect, as was everything else by every single member of staff we encountered.
On my wife's behalf I have to sincerely thank the Management & Staff at the Norton for making this milestone event in our family perfect, JUST PERFECT.
Lastly, and I'm sure you're reading this and starting to fall asleep by now, I totally recommend the Ribeye steak as a main course, and try the onion rings, they are fresh and NOT frozen rubbish that I have been served in other 5 star hotels in the UK.
Being part Scottish, buy mainly New Yorker, I hate tipping for anything other than 100% perfect food and service. Well, THIS BLOODY PLACE COST ME PLENTY IN TIPS. AND, NOT ONE PENNY OF IT WAS NOT DESERVED AND NOT GRUDGED!
Well worth a try and a truly lovely hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Bronxglenn
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, 16 November 2012
Thank you so much for posting such a fantastic review following your recent visit to Norton House Hotel & Spa to celebrate your wife’s birthday. I do agree with you that the Brasserie is a fabulous choice to host a special occasion and I am pleased that we were able to make the celebrations perfect. All the team check trip advisor on a regular basis and I am sure they will enjoy reading your review, thank you again for your kind feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the not to distant future.

Chris Monks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012 via mobile

If you're looking for a cheap place to stay, this isn't it. However you get what you pay for. A great room, excellent staff, lovely food. I just read a review complaining about the bar prices, ok whist it's not cheap at about £4 a pint, sadly that's the going rate these days. One minor quibble..no Scottish beers! John smiths, San Miguel, generic lager. There are some fantastic beers in Scotland why not show them off? Just one would be good.
Other than that, can't fault it. The massage in the spa was great too! Would definately book again.

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
I am very grateful for you taking the time to post a review after your recent stay at Norton House Hotel & Spa. It was fantastic to hear that you had a great room and that you found the staff excellent and the food lovely. I take on board your comment regarding Scottish Beers; whilst we do not serve a draught Scottish beer we do stock three locally produced Scottish bottled beers and I am sorry if this was not highlighted to you during your stay.
I am delighted that you would definitely book with us again and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2012

I stayed at Norton House Hotel with my husband on our first anniversary weekend and we had the most relaxing and enjoyable weekend.
The room was spacious and surprisingly silent despite the 2 or 3 weddings happening just a few metres away.
The spa is lovely: the jacuzzi is particularly spacious, the steam room is the hottest I ever tried and their shower sensations are really nice! We also indulged with a couple of spa treatments and they were of high quality. Their relaxation room is the best I have ever been in. My husband ended up falling asleep and snoring! :-)
The restaurant The Ushers is unmissable. It is pricey but the best food was served. I cannot wait to go back and redo it all over again!
Top quality hotel and staff from start to finish! Well done!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for posting such a positive review following your first anniversary weekend at our hotel. I am delighted that you had such a relaxing time and I will pass on your kind words to the team. I have to agree that the relaxation room is fantastic and is the ideal place to go after having a treatment in the spa. It is great that you enjoyed our Award winning restaurant Ushers and that you found your room spacious and quiet.
Once again thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not to distant future.

Carlisle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2012

Everything was perfect :-))
Great spa break very impressed.
Food was gorgeous, all staff were very helpful and friendly.
Rooms very clean with lovely extra touches such as a bottle of water next to your bed and your bed turned down while your at dinner.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Ronnie_MacKay, General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, 9 November 2012
Wow, what a fantastic title for a review of our hotel. Thank you very much for taking the time to let everyone know what you thought of your stay at Norton House. I will ensure that the team are made aware of your review; they will be very encouraged by your lovely comments. I hope we will see you return to our hotel in the near future.

Nr Frome
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

Excellent hotel, very comfortable, staff friendly. Good venue to have a wedding and reception. Food excellent and easily accessible from the airport. Thoroughly enjoyable weekend. Rooms comfortable. Although staff always seemed to be busy remained friendly. Quite expensive.

Stayed July 2012
I am grateful to you for taking the time to post a brief review of your stay with us for a wedding earlier in the year. Thank you for you kind comments about our hotel and our team; I will ensure that the team are made aware. I note your comment about our pricing but would assure you that we conduct regular competitor analysis to ensure that our tariffs reflect the quality of service we offer and the investment that has provided the fantastic facilities that we have.

Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

We stayed for 2 nights with our 5 year old son. We all had a very enjoyable time. Service was very good and all the staff we meet were friendly and professional, nothing was too much trouble! Would recommend but if I ws to return I think I wouldn't take our son as it is not really for younger children.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent 2 night stay at Norton House Hotel. I was delighted that you found our hotel to be “excellent”. I will pass on your kind comments to my team; they will be very encouraged. I was glad to read that you would recommend us but I would be disappointed if you did not bring your son on your next visit as our younger clients are very important to us and we look forward to welcoming them.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2012

If you want to have a really nice traditional afternoon tea experience, Norton House is the place to go. You can choose to have this served in the lovely lounge overlooking the gardens. Service is exceptional and if your tipple is tea, you are offered a large selection of teas to choose from. The coffee is also excellent. Lots of lovely sandwiches, cakes and home-made scones served with jam and cream are served in abundance, and if you need more of anything, you just have to ask. You feel transported back in time to the 1920's when afternoon tea was a national institution!! Go and enjoy a pampered afternoon with friends.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jan1941
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your Afternoon Tea here at Norton House Hotel and Spa. We have spent a long time designing our offering for this part of our business and I am very proud of what the team has come up with from a product and a service point of view. We will shortly be putting a festive slant on our afternoon tea and we are preparing afternoon tea vouchers for sale which will make an excellent Christmas present for any of your family or friends. I hope we will see you back at our hotel very soon.