“Almost perfect”

Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh
Ranked #42 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I met a friend here for a day in the spa and dinner, bed and breakfast. The setting is lovely, our room was lovely and spotlessly clean and the spa was welcoming and clean and I had a lovely facial. The food was pretty good, especially the desserts - what a treat!

However, what let this hotel down was very haphazard service. The waitress in the restaurant took our order for prosecco and waited 10 minutes before telling us there was no prosecco. She also took our order for the soup of the day and brought it to us before admitting it wasn't the one on the menu but a totally different one - it would have been nice to have known! [Also Norton stafff - you might want to turn down the Air con in the spa restaurant a tiny bit - in our robes - we were cold!]

At dinner the service was frankly laughable. Too many waiters and waitresses asking us the same questions. We were asked if we wanted to order dessert 6 times by 5 different members of staff in 5 minutes!

However, we have fed back about this directly to management and were impressed by their response. i am sure there will have been a bit of staff training as the gen manager seemed very switched on. No reason not to visit this hotel. Would definitely go again and would recommend.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank jae39
Ronnie_MacKay, General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

Thank you very much for posting a review of you recent stay with us and I am so glad that you found your stay to be almost perfect. I, obviously, would have preferred you visit to be totally perfect, but we are working on that. I am grateful to you for pointing out how much you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay and I was pleased to be able to discuss the "not perfect" parts with you. We do look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.

Reviewed 11 August 2013

I booked the hotel without knowing that it is close to the airport, but that didn't affect the beauty of it; the hotel was still nice and quiet.  There is a small sign on Glasgow road that says to Norton Hotel, but still, it took us a while to find the place.
If you do not have a car, this will be a very inconvenient hotel.  If you are driving, this is a great hotel.  You would have to go through a short drive into the hotel and the hotel is surrounded by greenery.  There are lots of area to walk around in. The hotel itself seemed like a big mansion in the old times, and I remember reading that it was built in 1840. The deco inside was mostly modern and old decorations are refurbished.  The rooms are big enough for me and so is the bed.  We booked a double bed and I would say u can fit three people on the bed and still feel comfortable.
The bar and restaurant serves food and drinks til 9:30pm, which is convenient for those who would want to feel relaxed and not hassle in and out to town.  The breakfast was buffet, and the selection is great. The weekend we went there, there was wedding banquets on both nights, but it wasn't noisy or anything.  It just gave the hotel a happy atmosphere.
Service at all areas of the hotel is great and staffs are friendly.  On both nights, we went to the reception to ask for traveling information.  Emma, who was at the desk was super helpful and gave great directions. One thing to note is to consider is that there are stairs towards most rooms, if you have big luggage, is quite a hassle.  So either pack small for the night or ask for help from the staff.
Overall, I am very satisfied and would recommend it to those who would want to visit Edinburgh and live in a relaxing hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank VeraNov

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your visit to Norton House Hotel and Spa. I was so pleased to read how much you enjoyed yourself whilst here. I will ensure that Emma is aware of your kind comments. She will be very encouraged by them. I note your point that you felt guests that do not have a car would find the hotel inconvenient, however, there is a bus service which stops at our drive and goes into town. I also note your comment regarding there being stairs to most rooms which is correct but we do offer a porterage service at all times to help guests with luggage. Again, please accept my thanks for posting a reveiw and I do hope we will see you return to Norton House Hotel and Spa in the future.

Reviewed 10 August 2013

We stayed at Norton House a year ago, but as we were attending a wedding, there was relatively little opportunity to appreciate the hotel's facilities. This year, we went for a night's R&R, spending 24 hours on-site, and the hotel very kindly upgraded us to one of their suites to acknowledge our recent engagement.

It has to be said that a suite is an expensive luxury at Norton House, but the suite we stayed in was absolutely stunning. Wraparound windows along two walls opened out onto a huge rooftop terrace, from where we could enjoy panoramic views across the hotel's grounds and woods. The room itself was sumptuously appointed and exceptionally spacious, with a corner sofa, a high-quality TV (not a Philips, which is the usual bargain-basement choice in hotel rooms) and a fridge among the specifications. We also have to mention the four-piece bathroom, with a waterproof remote-control TV set into the tiling at the foot of a very comfortable bath below ceiling speakers.

We also requested a room service breakfast, which was superb, although dinner was slightly less so - portion sizes were small and although everything was beautifully presented, it was not an especially substantial three-course meal. Such quibbles are outweighed by excellent staff service, though, and we would return to this hotel simply to visit the lovely spa. The pool is immaculate, with a large Jacuzzi incorporating a drench waterfall shower that is great for sore shoulder and neck muscles, and the changing rooms are clearly very well maintained.

In conclusion, Norton House is very expensive and rather isolated along a country lane outside Edinburgh, but if you're fortunate enough to be able to afford a suite, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Book a suite if your budget will allow - they're worth the extra expenditure over normal room ra...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for posting a review of your stay with us in July. I was very pleased to read how much you enjoyed your time with us and how much you liked so many aspects of our hotel. The Edinburgh Suite, that you stayed in, is indeed a lovely room and is very popular with regular guests. I was also glad to notice how great you thought our Spa is; we are very poud of this part of our business. You stayed with us in July which, obviously is one of our busiest times of the year and, thus our prices are higher than at some other times. I do believe that our pricing is very competitive in our market place but I am grateful to you for pointing out that future guests would not be disappointed. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Norton House Hotel and Spa in the future.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

Booked DB&B, upgraded to a room with air conditioning. Room was vg except for someone's old training shoes on the balcony. Dinner in the Brasserie was a mixed experience, starters minuscule, main courses extremely good, sweets average, drinks ordered did not arrive but appeared on the slip for signing. Post dinner drink ordered but did not arrive. In the morning was about to be charged twice for dinner (it had been pre-paid). All in all disappointing as the hotel is in beautiful grounds and it could be very good, maybe even great, but some of the staff need to get a grip and pay a bit more attention to what they are doing.

• Stayed: July 2013

I am grateful to you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us at Norton House Hotel and Spa. Whilst it is always enjoyable to get glowing reviews, I am also very aware that we do not always get things completely right and I thank you for letting me know about the lapses during your stay. Rest assured your points have been discussed with those responsible in order that our procedures are tightened up in those areas. I do hope that these points will not deter you from visiting us again in the future.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

This Hotel- close to the airport- encapsulates everything a tourist to Edinburgh could want (as long as you have a car) it's a beautiful old building with the most comfortable beds you could imagine. It's spotlessly clean and the carpet is brand new. Breakfast was also well done with great staff and a fresh booked hot meal if you want it- in addition to the buffet. We will be back for certain

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank alisondMelbourne

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read how fantastic you thought our hotel was. It was also pleasing that you noticed our new carpets. Over the past couple of months we have replaced the carpet in the Conservatory, Red Lounge, Reception and some of the corridors. We have also refurbished all of the lounge furniture. This has been part of our ongoing schedule of re-investment in order to maintain and improve our hotel. I note your point about needing a car should you be staying here and visiting Edinburgh and I would advise any future guests that there is a regular bus service which stops at our drive and goes into town. I do appreciate you letting everyone know how much you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 7 August 2013

My wife and I visited the hotel last week and, having paid several visits previously for excellent bar lunches, we elected to eat in the restaurant. We were directed to the Brasserie and had one of the most disappointing restaurant experiences in recent years. Poor service, indifferent food and a manager who, when we complained, didn't seem in the least bit interested in our concerns capped an extremely unpleasant experience. To cap it all we then discovered (as we were leaving) that there was a second, fine dining restaurant, which had never even been mentioned - question - why not? We shall certainly not be returning and wouldn't dream of recommending it to others.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Murray E
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

Thank you for posting a review of Norton House Hotel & Spa following your visit to the Brasserie. I was disappointed to read the issues you experienced with your meal. We do not profess to get it right all of the time but when we do get it wrong I would fully expect my team to react in a friendly and efficient way. Ushers restaurant is our award winning restaurant and opens Tuesday to Saturday evenings only. Please accept my apologies if you visited at a time when Ushers was open and you were not offered the opportunity to dine there. I do hope that in the future you may give us a chance to redeem ourselves. I will address this feedback with the Restaurant Management team and I thank you for your comments.
Chris Monks

Reviewed 4 August 2013

My wife and I stayed here in late July 2013, for 2 nights to celebrate a family wedding.

The hotel s in an excellent location and a fantastic venue for a wedding. The food served at the wedding was fantastic.

The staff were very attentive and the bedroom was 1st class.

Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bairnsman
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Thank you for posting a review following your two night stay whilst attending a wedding. I am delighted that you found the staff attentive and the bedroom first class. I agree with you that we are a fantastic venue for a wedding and it is pleasing to read that you found the food to be fantastic as well. It is great to see that you would return again in the future and I thank you again for your lovely feedback.
Chris Monks