“The Chef Must Have Been On Holiday”

Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh
Ranked #41 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 22 July 2008

We stayed at this rather over priced hotel as we were attending a wedding there. On arrival, the receptionist was extremely helpful, allowing us early access to our room to change clothes. The room was a standard type hotel room, albeit with rather strange controls on everything. For example, it was rather difficult to work out how you ran the bath! But the main reason for this review is the standard of food at this hotel. Some of the people at our table are making a long haul flight next week, and the overwhelming response to the meal was that it would get them prepared for 24 hours of airline food. Worst was to come at breakfast however. I always enjoy a kipper when I am having breakfast at a hotel, but, this rather over-priced establishment did not serve kippers, but kipper fillets (processed food). My alternative was a full breakfast which had to be sent back, the bacon was to overcooked and so tough that it could not be cut with a knive. The toast was soggy, the tea was dishwater. When the 'nippy-sweetie' who ran the place came and asked if everything was OK, she seemed surprised by my answer. On requesting a fresh breakfast, the bacon was replaced,(by a burnt offering, it had obviously been put into a deep-fat fryer), but the rest of the breakfast that had been sent back was still on the same plate when it was returned to me. The standard of food in this hotel is a very poor advert for Scotland. What is wrong with serving good Scottish food, ie real kippers from Loch Fyne, bacon from Carluke, etc?

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank dovtrams
Write a ReviewReviews (1,520)

Reviewed 21 July 2008

Visited the Hotel and Spa for my Girlfriends Birthday weekend. The hotel from the outside was not as impressive as the website suggested. The same was true for the inside. Our room was the Lothian Suite which was rather old fashioned and unspectacular for the price. Indeed much of the hotel had the same run down and unloved feel.

We had dinner in the Ushers restaurant on the first night and in the Brasserie on the second. Ushers restaurant was a very nice dining experience. Great food and wine. The atmosphere however was terrible with only 2 other tables taken and much whispering. You can eat as well in an atmospheric location in many places in Edinburgh so probably not worth the prices charged. Unfortunately, the Brasserie was terrible. The food very bland and all a bit poor for the hotels only other restaurant.

The reason we visited Norton House was for a spa day on the Saturday. This is where the hotel gains some points. We had two treatments, lunch with champagne and the use of facilities for the day. The treatments were very good and the facilities new. My only negative comment here would be regarding the sometimes large numbers of people in the spa area and the relatively small space. Only one hydrotherapy pool, sauna and steam room. Free juices, water and teas were a nice addition.

Our visit cost over £700 in total and really wasn't worth it. If you get a chance at a cheap deal and can book a spa package then i would recommend. Otherwise, there are far better Hotel and Spa accommodation in Scotland.

Please note the reviews on TripAdvisor - they reflect my thoughts in many areas.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2008

my partner had booked this as a surprise for my birthday but it was a huge letdown for us. when we arrived at the hotel just after 3pm we were given our room key and walked up several floors to the room to notice that the door was lying open with the light off and bedding and towels everywhere! we went back to reception and was told that our room wasnt ready and told us to come back in half an hour! when were arrived back they checked the room again and it still wasnt ready, so we had to wait another half an hour till we were finally allowed into our room! on arrival to our room, it was very clean and really nicely decorated but our bathroom had no bath in it and the handle on the cupboard door was broken off! it was also clear that they had also given us a disabled room as there were emergency cords everywhere and a telephone in the bathroom. however, we didnt make a fuss. there were also 2 small champagne bottles in our room but it cost £14 for one! we went down to the resteraunt for dinner which was very good but well overpriced!
we also ordered breakfast to be delivered to our room the following morning and it actually came early which was nice. though, the food wasnt very good as the egg was undercooked and were only given a small amount but they charge £12.50 for a cooked breakfast and even £10 for a small bowl of fruit! the prices are absolutely terrible, even in the spa where treatment ranges from £60 to £200!

however, the hotel is lovely and i would stay again but you would expect a lot more from it especially for the prices you pay for a room!

• Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank PhoenixScotland
Reviewed 12 July 2008

This is a great hotel in lovely surroundings. The rooms are large and modern and the bathrooms clean. The main issue i have with the hotel is the bar prices - £4.10 for one bottle of beer!! Absolutely no need to rip people off in that way.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2008

I stayed in this hotel whilst in Edinburgh on business. Like other reviews I would agree that the staff were really helpful and polite. We used the spa facilities on the day we arrived which were really good and not busy.

I can recommend eating in the Brasserie which we did on the first evening but on the second evening my husband and I ate in Ushers. I have to say this was really good. There are only about 8 tables with one main waitress who is really efficient. The food was outstanding and the ambience with lots of candles really special.

There was a really good choice for breakfast and the full English was cooked to order and not kept warm for hours buffet style like some hotels.

I do however have a couple of grumbles.

Firstly I ordered an early morning wakeup call for the Friday morning. I had an important meeting to attend and wanted to make sure that my hair and make-up etc were at their best!! The early morning call came on Saturday when I wanted a lie in! Fortunately I had woken up before the early morning call was due and so this wasn't an issue but it could have been.

The hotel very kindly supplied a free bottle of wine - however no cork screw which necessitated a trip to Reception. Also one of the glasses had a large lipstick smear.

There was only one towling robe hanging up on the bathroom - again not a problem for us but the room was being hired out for two people.

The shower gel in the bathroom was half full and it was clear that we had the left overs from the previous occupant.

The biscuits were not replenished on the second day with the team and coffee as you would expect and neither was the bottle of water which had been placed in the fridge.

The hotel is very near to Edinburgh airport which is a good plus however the taxi fare into Edinburgh is £20 each way.

I have to say overall this was a good hotel and I would not hesitate to recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 May 2008

I was looking for somewhere to take my Husband as a surprise for his birthday. I didn't know this hotel existed and it is very well hidden. The setting and grounds are just amazing!

We stayed in one of the new Executive Rooms which was very spacious with lovely decor. The bathroom is fantastic with a bath and seperate large shower. The TV in the wall is such a novelty.

If you are looking for a very different dining experience then I can't recommend the hotel's restauruant - Ushers highly enough. The restaurant only has 8 tables and is elegant and intimate. We were looked after by Sheena, who went out of her way to ensure everything was perfect and it was. The food is a taste sensation.

We made full use of the spa facilities which had only been open for 2 months. Again no complaints - there is a swimming pool, hydrotherapy pool, sauna, steam room, etc with a lovely bar adjoining.

There were only 2 minor negatives for us:

The health club has a 2 hour window where children are allowed. If we'd known we'd have gone later as the children were very noisy and we were looking for peace and quiet. We were probably just unlucky.

On the Sunday we ordered breakfast in our room and some things were missing from the tray along with a newspaper. We didn't ring to reception as our food would've been cold by the time they brought the missing items but we did mention it when we checked out. The hotel did have 2 very large weddings on over that weekend and did admit to being short staffed.

I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel for anyone looking to get away from it all in a lovely setting with fantastic facilities.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2008

I stayed here for a friend's wedding and was really impressed with the hotel overall. The staff were very friendly and super efficient, they were always on hand to help with anything, no matter how small. From a guest's point of view the wedding seemed to run smoothly and the food was of a decent standard for a wedding.

The hotel itself is set in a large area of parkland and is very beautiful and tranquil. I had booked a standard double room which seemed a little small but it was nicely decorated and clean. Bed was comfortable and there was no outside noise of course. Breakfast was excellent and hotel also provided a transfer to the airport.

All in all, definitely above average and would highly recommend (despite it being on the pricey side; it's worth it)

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple