“Very good spa”

Ranked #41 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Livingston, United Kingdom
“Very good spa”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Norton House Hotel is recommended to me by one of my friend. Found it very useful when visited its spa facilities.
Reasonably priced and location is good for me aswell. Service is brilliant and more important its good place for relax in peace and quite. A bit away from the city hustle and bustle.
Would return to this.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your Spa day. I am delighted that you enjoyed all the facilities in the Health Club and that you found the service from the team to be brilliant and the pricing reasonable. It is great to read that you found our Spa a good place to relax in and I agree with you regarding its location. Once again thank you for your lovely feedback.
Chris Monks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
scotland
Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

We were here for my friends wedding and we thought the venue and catering was first class! Staff were helpful and efficient and the meal was excellent! The buffer too was also great and in general it was a lovely wedding. We didn't stay the night but friends did and their room was lovely. Wish we'd stayed but we headed home as we actually live locally. Would return as I hear the afternoon tea is awrsome!

Stayed November 2013
Thank you for posting a review following your best friends wedding. I am delighted that you had such a great day and that you enjoyed all aspects of the special occasion. I do hope to welcome you back to Norton House Hotel & Spa in the very near future.

Argyll and Bute, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

My friend and I went here for an overnight stay and I wish we had been staying longer. The hotel is very clean and comfortable, the staff are amongst the best I have come across in a hotel and the food was very good (Bistro). We enjoyed using the Spa facilities and again, the staff there were friendly and very helpful. A real treat and I will be back (might take my husband next time!).

Room Tip: We were in a classic room and it was very good - not huge, but plenty of space for two of us. The ba...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your overnight stay at our hotel. It is great to read that you enjoyed the facilities in the Spa and that you found the food in the Brasserie to be very good. I am delighted at your comments regarding the team here at Norton House Hotel & Spa and I know they will all have taken great encouragement when reading your feedback. I do hope you return for another break very soon and you never know your husband may treat you!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We stayed here for one night as a treat and it's a lovely hotel. The food was delicious and couldn't fault the room or room service. Unfortunately a couple of little things meant the hotel wasn't excellent: we were only given 1 towel in the bedroom, the fish we had for dinner was not cooked (but was subsequently removed from the bill) and we had to wait an hour for our dinner to arrive despite quite an empty restaurant. All little things that didnt affect how much fun we had, but for a 4 star hotel we expected better.

• Stayed November 2013
I do appreciate you taking the time to post a review following your stay at Norton House Hotel & Spa. It is great to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the hotel to be lovely. I am also delighted that you found the food to be delicious and the room service faultless. Please accept my apologies for the issues you encountered. Let me assure you that your comments have been reviewed and the points addressed with the team. Thank you again for taking the time to let us know your feedback.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I have to say the food at Norton House Hotel is very good. The service however is not the best, i.e. had to ask for condiments etc.
Also would advise not to have lunch in the bar as the tables are way too low to be able to enjoy your meal. They also attempt to charge me £5 for a coke.." Opps I am sorry I have charged you for a pint of coke not a bottle", i.e. should have been £2.50.
Food is good but you are paying for it, I personally think the service and setting lets it down, if you do go make sure you go to the bistro and not the bar for lunch.
SPA is good and did notice that the prices for food were cheaper than that in the bar upstairs.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bpw12
Thank you for posting a review on Trip advisor following your visit in November. I am delighted that you found the food and the Spa at the hotel to be very good. Please accept my apologies for the issues you encountered during your lunch. I have discussed these with the Food and Beverage team and procedures have been put in place to prevent a re-occurrence. Our lounges in the hotel are very popular at all times of the day and the lower tables are very much a design feature. Guests can choose whether they would like to eat lunch and dinner in the brasserie or in the lounges all from the same menus. We offer this choice as some people prefer a restaurant setting whereas others prefer the less informal style of a lounge.
scotland
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

We checked in easily after 3pm and the receptionist was welcoming and gave us all the information we needed. We were allocated the queensferry room at the front of the hotel. On arrival we knew there was a wedding on as we met the bride. We enjoyed the health club; pool, small steam room, jacuzzi and small sauna. All was clean. The fancy shower was slightly strange in that you had to peer around it to see if it was actually free. The jacuzzi was a bit different in that it had 2 metal summer seats in it, just be careful when sitting down on the seats because of the angle.

We had reserved dinner in the ushers restaurant when I booked the room several weeks ago. Our meal was divine, all food was very colourful and presented beautifully, it was a very high standard. The service was excellent. Additionally we received 3 different breads, 2 appetisers and a sorbet after our main meal. The only thing was that the main meal could have been hotter as it soon lost its heat quickly. One could say that the waiter does not need to explain everything that was in each dish as we had after all chosen our meals in the first instance. This was the same with everyone in the restaurant as we heard the details from the 2 tables beside us.

Our room was lovely, quite spacious with a comfy bed and pillows, heaters adequate although under the single glazed high windows and it was necessary to leave the curtains open so the heat could actually heat up the room. The decor could have been better as it was a bit dated (floral border, floral curtains with frills and brass light fittings). The bathroom was very modern in grey and white. It was immaculately clean with complimentary toiletries. Most impressed with this and the rain shower too.
Negative point; our sleep was disrupted more than twice due to the noise from the front door of the hotel being opened and closed, noise of others (shouting and talking) outside at the front of the hotel from after 11pm to 2am, noise of car engines and car horns. The people were either waiting on taxis, waiting for others to come and collect them, waiting for car engines to heat up and defrost the ice on their windscreens or simply smoking outside.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay in November. I am delighted that you had a lovely stay and that you found the food delicious and the service in the restaurant excellent. It was great to read that your room was lovely and spacious and I take on board your comments about the décor. The room you stayed in was one of our traditional rooms and whilst it is fair to say that these are not in the style of our contemporary rooms, we do have new and regular guests who reserve them as a preference. The bathrooms in the traditional rooms have all been refurbished in the last twelve months and I am pleased that you were impressed with them. Please let me apologise that your sleep was disturbed during your stay. Wherever possible we do try to allocate guests rooms appropriately and try to monitor noise levels to avoid disruption to our guests. I am sorry that this was not the case during your stay. Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to Norton House Hotel and Spa in the future.

Uppsala, Sweden
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We had buisness at Edinburgh university and stayed for five nights. Lovely relaxing atmosphere and wonderful staff. One night we went out to number one, a restaurant in town with one star in the Micheline guide. The next evening we went to the three rosette restaurant at Norton house. Guess where we got the best food? The best wine? The best service? At Norton house!!! Absolutely fantastic dinner and the best waiter (from Hungary originally) giving us an experience of food and wine, especially the Tokajer that we will never forget. The food was top of world class with a young and really amazing chef! Great value for the money!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank ProfKitty
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
Thank you for posting feedback following your stay in July. I am pleased you found the hotel relaxing and that you found the staff wonderful. I am delighted that you enjoyed your meal in ushers and that you rated it so highly. We are very proud of the food and service in ushers and the team will take great satisfaction when reading your review. I have thanked Sandor and the kitchen team personally for your comments and I do hope we can welcome you back to Norton House and Ushers in the future.