“Running out of superlatives to describe this gem of a hotel!”

Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh
Ranked #41 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We came for two nights and ended up staying three. ! In fact we could have stayed here for even longer!
It's a lovely hotel in a very convenient quiet setting. Out of town but near enough to get to Edinburgh City Centre by bus or by taxi.
Couldn't fault any of the staff, but special mention has to go to Piers on reception and Sandor in
Ushers restaurant.
The restaurant was excellent. We had the 9 course taster menu with superb matched wines!
Faultless service and yes Sandor does describe every dish, as he should, and his enthusiasm for the food and wines was wonderful. It really is a beautiful, small, romantic little restaurant. The chef is top notch and we have eaten in Michelin starred restaurants before and thought this little gem was better!
There was a wedding on two of the nights we stayed and when you check in your heart sinks a little as sometimes they can be intrusive for couples who want a quiet break. But in all honesty we barely noticed and it didn't detract at all from our quiet enjoyment. We sat in the lounge area after our fabulous dinner and you only heard the music from the disco when the door was opened as people came and went. Other than that the room seems well sound proofed.
We had a room in the main building at the front of the hotel and never heard a sound of car engines or noise of any description, and we had the window open slightly!
The room was beautifully decorated, warm, clean and comfortable. What more can you ask for?
My husband used the spa and swimming pool and thoroughly enjoyed it. The pool is lovely.
Breakfast was varied and plentiful, the haggis was the best I've tasted!
But at the end of the day, what really makes a hotel that extra bit special is the staff.
Every single one was helpful, attentive, polite, friendly and made us feel really welcome!
So well done Norton House, we have stayed in nearly every Hand Picked Hotel there is now, and this is the Jewel in the Crown! Can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: We stayed in the main building which we loved, but have also stayed a few years ago in the Executive...
1  Thank janelizHampshire
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post such a super review following your three night visit. I am delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and that you found the staff to be friendly, attentive and that they all made you feel welcome. We are very proud of the team here at Norton House and it is very encouraging to read such positive feedback about your experience. It is great to see that you will stay again and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

What an amazing place and amazing staff! Everything we did from start to finish was fantastic... beautiful hotel and grounds, lovely rooms, champagne afternoon tea, swimming pool, sauna, steam room, hydrotherapy pool, cocktails, evening meal, breakfast, spa treatments and not to forget the very friendly and attentive staff... fabulous relaxing girls weekend away! Can't wait to do it all again!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank lcs8010

Thank you for posting such a fantastic review of our hotel following your relaxing girl’s weekend away. I am delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and that you found all the team to be attentive and friendly. I look forward to welcoming you back to Norton House Hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

Norton House Hotel is recommended to me by one of my friend. Found it very useful when visited its spa facilities.
Reasonably priced and location is good for me aswell. Service is brilliant and more important its good place for relax in peace and quite. A bit away from the city hustle and bustle.
Would return to this.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your Spa day. I am delighted that you enjoyed all the facilities in the Health Club and that you found the service from the team to be brilliant and the pricing reasonable. It is great to read that you found our Spa a good place to relax in and I agree with you regarding its location. Once again thank you for your lovely feedback.

Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

We were here for my friends wedding and we thought the venue and catering was first class! Staff were helpful and efficient and the meal was excellent! The buffer too was also great and in general it was a lovely wedding. We didn't stay the night but friends did and their room was lovely. Wish we'd stayed but we headed home as we actually live locally. Would return as I hear the afternoon tea is awrsome!

Stayed: November 2013

Thank you for posting a review following your best friends wedding. I am delighted that you had such a great day and that you enjoyed all aspects of the special occasion. I do hope to welcome you back to Norton House Hotel & Spa in the very near future.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

My friend and I went here for an overnight stay and I wish we had been staying longer. The hotel is very clean and comfortable, the staff are amongst the best I have come across in a hotel and the food was very good (Bistro). We enjoyed using the Spa facilities and again, the staff there were friendly and very helpful. A real treat and I will be back (might take my husband next time!).

Room Tip: We were in a classic room and it was very good - not huge, but plenty of space for two of us. The ba...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your overnight stay at our hotel. It is great to read that you enjoyed the facilities in the Spa and that you found the food in the Brasserie to be very good. I am delighted at your comments regarding the team here at Norton House Hotel & Spa and I know they will all have taken great encouragement when reading your feedback. I do hope you return for another break very soon and you never know your husband may treat you!

Reviewed 17 November 2013

We stayed here for one night as a treat and it's a lovely hotel. The food was delicious and couldn't fault the room or room service. Unfortunately a couple of little things meant the hotel wasn't excellent: we were only given 1 towel in the bedroom, the fish we had for dinner was not cooked (but was subsequently removed from the bill) and we had to wait an hour for our dinner to arrive despite quite an empty restaurant. All little things that didnt affect how much fun we had, but for a 4 star hotel we expected better.

• Stayed: November 2013

I do appreciate you taking the time to post a review following your stay at Norton House Hotel & Spa. It is great to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the hotel to be lovely. I am also delighted that you found the food to be delicious and the room service faultless. Please accept my apologies for the issues you encountered. Let me assure you that your comments have been reviewed and the points addressed with the team. Thank you again for taking the time to let us know your feedback.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

I have to say the food at Norton House Hotel is very good. The service however is not the best, i.e. had to ask for condiments etc.
Also would advise not to have lunch in the bar as the tables are way too low to be able to enjoy your meal. They also attempt to charge me £5 for a coke.." Opps I am sorry I have charged you for a pint of coke not a bottle", i.e. should have been £2.50.
Food is good but you are paying for it, I personally think the service and setting lets it down, if you do go make sure you go to the bistro and not the bar for lunch.
SPA is good and did notice that the prices for food were cheaper than that in the bar upstairs.

1  Thank bpw12

Thank you for posting a review on Trip advisor following your visit in November. I am delighted that you found the food and the Spa at the hotel to be very good. Please accept my apologies for the issues you encountered during your lunch. I have discussed these with the Food and Beverage team and procedures have been put in place to prevent a re-occurrence. Our lounges in the hotel are very popular at all times of the day and the lower tables are very much a design feature. Guests can choose whether they would like to eat lunch and dinner in the brasserie or in the lounges all from the same menus. We offer this choice as some people prefer a restaurant setting whereas others prefer the less informal style of a lounge.