“Excellent hotel, awful brasserie”

Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh
Ranked #41 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 25 March 2014

The hotel is excellently placed for a quiet holiday or business meeting.
But, it's isolation makes it a must to have a good, if not at least an above-average restaurant attached to it.
The Ushers may be one - but, not everyone who stays in the hotel will want to eat there.
The brasserie is massive let down.
In all respects.
From the disinterested person manning reservations, to the waiters who do not hesitate to push past you to serve others, who need to be asked time and time again for simple things like replacement cutlery...
All this makes the food taste less interesting than it probably is!
A complete change of attitude amongst the staff, or some retraining towards basic restaurant etiquette should do the trick.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank bnrnm
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Thank you for posting a review of Norton House Hotel & Spa following your stay on business. Your feedback is really important to us and whilst we naturally enjoy receiving positive reviews, we add just as much importance to comments letting us know where we did not do well. Please accept my apologies for the service issues you experienced in the Brasserie. Your observations will be reviewed and the points addressed with the team. I do hope that in the future you may give us a chance to redeem ourselves and I thank you again for your constructive feedback.
Chris Monks

Write a ReviewReviews (1,520)

Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

We booked our stay by searching on the Internet , but got to speak to a lovely , helpful lady at the central booking dept . The result was we had a perfectly tailored birthday celebration stay ( for my husbands 50th) . The hotel was lovely , staff friendly without being " over the top " we had an amazing executive room. Our stay include two cream teas one each day , three course evening meal , full breakfast and two spa treatments on our spa day ! The price was amazing ! Really , really good value . We will definitely do this again both at this hotel and at one of the other " Hand picked Hotels" we enjoyed every moment of our stay !

• Stayed: March 2014

Thank you for posting such a nice review following your recent visit to celebrate your husband’s birthday. I am delighted that you enjoyed the executive room and that you found the staff friendly and the food and spa excellent. It is great that you found your experience really good value for money and I look forward to welcoming you back to Norton House and Hand Picked Hotels in the very near future.

Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night on business & definitely one of the nicest places I've stayed in Edinburgh. Room was spacious and modern. Brasserie food very tasty. Staff very friendly & helpful. Only small point is the leisure centre is outside the main building. Will return.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

I am very grateful for you taking the time to post a review following your recent stay on business. I was pleased to read you enjoyed your time at the hotel and that you highlighted so many positive aspects of your experience. Thank you once again for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

I took our 2 daughters and our daughter- in-law to the Norton House Hotel for an overnight spa experience as a pampering treat for us all. It really was a fabulous experience, the facilities were first class in the spa and the lovely staff couldn't have done more to make our stay comfortable. In the hotel itself our twin rooms were quite large, very well equipped and the en-suites spacious with quality toiletries. The food served both in the spa and in the hotel was excellent with a good and varied wine list. I really can't praise the staff highly enough and wouldn't hesitate to repeat the experience. Highly recommended!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review. It was a pleasure for me to read it and I am delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your visit. I have shared your feedback with the team and I know they will take great encouragement from your comments. Thank you for recommending us to future guests and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Stayed overnight in a classic room which was well equipped and clean. Not much of a view-looked across to other bedroom block. Only issue was TV was out of action, which was not an problem for me personally, but may have been so for others.

Annoying noise heard from room- sounded like some sort of generator which kicked in on a timer. Mentioned this at checkout and receptionist seemed surprised. I'm sure I can't be the first guest to mention it.

Good selection and service in the conservatory bar. Enjoyable breakfast -chose continental, but cooked breakfast looked good too. Service was good, but not obtrusive.

Overall , staff were welcoming and I would consider a return visit.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

I appreciate you taking the time to post a review following your recent stay.
It is great to read that you enjoyed breakfast and found the selection and service in our conservatory bar good. Please let me apologise that you had an issue with your television, we did experience a fault on our television system and an emergency engineer was called out to rectify. I have asked Maintenance to look into your comments re noise as all fans do have timers attached to them. I am delighted that you would consider a return visit and I look forward to welcoming you back to Norton House in the future.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

We returned to Norton house after a superb visit last May. On this occasion we made full use of the excellent leisure facilities again and we had a lovely walk around the grounds (where my Fiancé got down on one knee and proposed to me!).

Later we had a cocktail in the bar and a meal in the restaurant. Although the food was lovely (again) we went for a set special menu in the brasserie. We were a little disappointed however by the portion sizes for the money we paid-compared to the normal menu portion sizes we received during our previous visit. We do understand however that the set menu was a speciality menu.

We were really pleased by the overall staff friendliness and we very much enjoyed breakfast the next morning.

Our room was well presented, if a little smaller than our last experience, with not such a nice view from the window (overlooking the ground floor roof), however we understand these rooms have got to be filled also. We did not spend a lot of time in our room so it did not bother us. The room was well equipped, clean and tidy - perfect!

Thank you to all who made our stay great. We look forward to meeting Natasha during your wedding open day this weekend.

• Stayed: February 2014
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2014

Thank you for posting a review following your most recent stay in February. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay made even more special by your engagement in our grounds. It was great to say hello to you personally during your wedding appointment with Natasha and Laura. They tell me that you loved the Kingdom and Garden suite. Please accept my congratulations to you on your engagement and I do hope you have lots of fun planning your special day. I look forward to seeing you both again very soon.

Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

Me and my husband spent a night in novembre and had an amazing time. The rooms are gorgeous. The food in the hotel is first class one of the best meals i have ever had. The staff in the hotel were lovely and could not do enough for us the service was amazing!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay in November. I was delighted that you found our hotel to be “your new favourite place”. I will pass on your kind comments to the team; they will be very encouraged by your great feedback. I do hope we will see you back at our hotel very soon.