Having previously used the spa, I've wanted to stay here for ages so recently took up a deal through a voucher site and stayed on a Sunday. First impressions were great- it's a lovely looking hotel and the welcome was nice. We were offered an upgrade to a junior suit for £25 and took this. When we were shown to the room, which on face value was very impressive. I did notice a damp smell but thought is was maybe just the drain in the bathroom and disregarded this. We went straight to the spa and gym, which are really good. The spa is lovely and very relaxing. We then had dinner in the bistro which was standard fare. The breakfast the next day was lovely.
So, now for the snags...When we eventually went to the room after our meal (about 11pm), the smell in the room was a lot stronger. I have an allergy to some types of mould so wasn't prepared to sleep there so wanted to change rooms. I also noticed the room was actually a bit grubby- lots of scuff marks on the walls and the bedside table was water damaged. Also, the air con in the room was also not working (freezing downstairs and roasting upstairs) and we couldn't get the tv sound to come on so we were a bit annoyed and wondered if this was the 'cheap upgrade' room. We phoned reception about 10 times but there was no answer- we then called all the numbers (bar etc) but no answer. After about an hour, my husband went to the reception and the night porter just gave him a key to another room. So at midnight, we shifted all our stuff into the other room, which thankfully didn't smell at all. This new room was also a in a lot better condition. It really felt like all this spoiled our nice chilled out night so we went off to sleep a bit stressed and annoyed. When I spoke to the receptionist about this the next day, we didn't even get an apology. I brought up that we'd paid for an upgrade and then it was very unsatisfactory and she then agreed to remove the £25 upgrade fee. I just felt a bit let down about this lack of customer service and no acknowledgement about how annoying it is to change rooms at that time of night.
My second major gripe is with the hotel's heating system. The whole place uses aircon, which in Scotland, is just insane. There's a constant blow of air about the place which I just found really uncomfortable. I also found everywhere really cold. I'm sure it's lovely when, for the 6 days of the year, the temperature in Scotland goes above 18 degrees, but for the rest of the time, it's just cold and blowy- we get enough of that outside!
Another gripe was with some of the staff. Some were great but others were really off. At our evening meal, the restaurant was about half full and we were sat at the worst table- right next to a sink for the staff. We asked if we could move and the waiter acted as though we'd asked to eat our own packed lunch! We got a much nicer table but with a bit of fuss. The breakfast experience was much the same- loads of space in the nice cosy inside part and we almost got sat in the cold conservatory that was completely empty! Some of the staff were really just pretty awful.
If the room wasn't a disaster, my review may be a lot more positive but we went here for a total chill out and instead it was a stressy, irritating stay. The spa is gorgeous and I'd return to use it for a spa day but I wouldn't go out of my way to stay at the hotel again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Norton House Hotel & Spa, one of the finest country house hotels in Edinburgh and AA Hotel of the Year Scotland 2010. The perfect backdrop to any wedding in Scotland, this romantic venue will make your Scottish Wedding dream come true. Built in 1840, Norton House Hotel & Spa in Edinburgh, Scotland was always intended as a traditional country retreat, removed from the bustle of the city. This four star hotel in Scotland is just a 20-minute drive from Edinburgh city centre and a mere ten minutes away from Edinburgh Airport. Situated in 55 acres of grounds, Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh offers 83 bedrooms, including 36 luxury executive bedrooms, junior suites and the master suite. Norton House Hotel in Scotland offers the popular contemporary Brasserie. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, LateRooms, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Norton House Hotel And Spa Edinburgh
- Norton Hotel Edinburgh
- Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh Scotland