Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh
US$250
  • Restaurant
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$271
  • Bar/Lounge
Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$281
Grassmarket Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$224
US$198
Agoda.com
Apex Grassmarket Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$151
US$202
  • Pool
US$145
1,541 results
All reviewsushers restaurantexperience showerkingdom suitehandpicked hotelsexecutive roomnew wingbrasserie restaurantgarden suitesteam roomclose to the airportpark and ridelovely hotelrelaxing breakwedding partyfresh milkleisure facilitieslarge tv
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Checked in on Friday 24th May for one night. Paid an additional £15 to upgrade room. Room was very nice, spacious with a balcony. Tv in bathroom. Used spa facilities, nice pool area, sauna & steam rooms also good. However what let the hotel down was the food. Nice starter but the main course was a total let down! A four star hotel should be able to produce a decent cheeseburger but both my partner found the burgers very dry! We did inform the waiter about our disappointment with the food & to be fair the manager did como our drinks bill but I would rather of had a nicer meal! Breakfast again was only average and due to a busy service we had to wait for additional items to be cooked which meant the rest of the breakfast got cold. Overall I Fi not think the one night was worthwhile the money we paid, it seems more of a wedding hotel destination and I would be reluctant to recommend for a one stay for over £200!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Halesy1967
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent overnight stay. I am pleased you chose to upgrade to one of our executive rooms and that you found it to be nice and spacious. It is great to see you utilised the spa facilities and that you enjoyed the pool, Sauna and Steam rooms. Please accept my apology that you and your partner were disappointed with our burgers. Following advice from the Food standards agency and the local Environmental Health, Our company policy is to serve only well done burgers and this should have been explained to you on the night. Norton burgers are a very popular choice with our guests and we do receive lots of compliments about them, however this does not excuse the fact that you did not enjoy yours. I will ensure the Chef and his team take on board your comments. Thank you again for your constructive feedback.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Got an amazing deal online for a spa day and was definitely value for money! Staff were very polite and the treatments were carried out in a professional and skilful manner. Lunch was delicious and the best part of the day was my little snooze in the relaxation room. I need one in my house! Would recommend to anyone looking for a relaxing and peaceful spa day. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review after your recent visit to our Spa. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your day and I will ensure that the team in the Spa are made aware of your kind comments. Thank you for recommending us to future guests and I do hope that we will be able to welcome back to Norton House Hotel in the near future.
Kind regards.
Chris Monks.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Me and the wife were invited to this hotel to attend a friends wedding,we were arriving to attend the wedding straight from travelling therefore were hoping to get somewhere to change when we arrived even though check in was at 3.00.The staff were fantastic and pulled out all the stops so we got a early check in and had time to freshen up and get ready for the wedding.This alone warrented the 5 stars on its own so unless something went bad we were already very happy.Fortunately after that the room was superb including the bed which was very comfy and the room decor was fantastic,the staff throughout the day including the staff serving in the garden bar area were great and I had very friendly chat with the bar staff even though it was 12.30am and they had probably been on shift for a long time but didnt show it one bit.The food for the wedding was outstanding and the breakfast was also very nice,all in all I have no complaints about my stay and would quite happily stay here again but only if I was at a wedding because when we returned to the room we could hear clearly the music from the other wedding but this stopped near 1.00am so wasnt a problem for us as we had just arrived back ,if you wanted a slightly earlier night I am sure it may of been an issue.I am also sure if you were not with either wedding party you wouldnt of been located in these rooms so the issue may not arise.well done to all at the Norton it was a fantastic experience top marks.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

I very much appreciate you writing a review following your recent stay to attend a wedding. I am delighted you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and that you found the whole experience fantastic. It is great that you were able to access your room before check in time on the day of the wedding. We cannot guarantee early access to bedrooms, but we endeavour to do our very best to accommodate all our guests wherever possible. Our Front of House team do allocate guests bedrooms dependant on functions they are attending, and these allocations play a big part in managing and controlling any noise that could affect our guests. Thank you again for your feedback and I do hope we can welcome you back to Norton House in the near future.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel for one night for business. I stayed in one of their standard rooms. It was very well furnished and equipped - even had a tv over the bath! I made a quick trip to the spa, which was nice and relaxing. My only disappointment was that I was here for work and couldn't stay longer!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Thank you for posting a review following your recent trip on business. I am delighted you liked your room and that you found it well furnished and equipped. The room you stayed in was one of our executive rooms as they are the rooms that have televisions over the bath. It is great that you had some time to visit the Spa and pleasing that you found the facilities nice and relaxing. I do hope to welcome you back to Norton House Hotel & Spa in the future.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at Norton House twice during April and would certainly come again. On both occasions we booked an Executive Room and weren't disappointed. As expected the accommodation was in the "new" part of the building and was of a high standard. However, the room we had during our second stay was on the ground floor and the bathroom not quite as well equipped as before, when we had a separate shower cubicle. A minor inconvenience however.
Breakfasts were plentiful and well prepared with a good range of cereals, fruit and yoghurts.
I used the spa and was delighted with the beauty treatments. However I was somewhat surprised and taken aback by the unhelpfulness and sullenness of the receptionist on my first visit. This is the first person you see when you get to the bottom of the stairs so first impressions are important. It was clear that the young woman was on a personal telephone call and I was a major inconvenience. As I had an appointment, I politely asked where I should go and was impatiently pointed in the right direction. I commented on this when I filled in the 'feedback and comments' on check out. Such a shame as I would like to emphasise that the other staff in the Spa were really lovely and helpful as were the staff we dealt with on the Hotel's Reception. We did find the porter a bit overbearing though!
I should also like to thank Chris Monks again for being so helpful and ensuring I was reunited with my prescription sunglasses which I had inadvertently left in the room.
Some tips:
If you have mobility issues, make sure you request a room close to reception, restaurant, etc. Some of the rooms require a lengthy walk and/or use of two different lifts;
If you are staying in one of the Executive Rooms, make sure you find the side door which makes it only a small walk across to the Spa and saves you going back down through reception and round the building. Easier too, if you are in your bathrobe!
Yes, I would definitely return.

Room Tip: An Executive Room is definitely worth paying extra for.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

I appreciate you taking the time to post a review following your two stays at our hotel in April. I am pleased that you found the Executive rooms to be of a high standard and that you and your husband enjoyed breakfast on both mornings. Whilst I am delighted that you found the team lovely and helpful, it was disappointing to read about your experience at the Spa reception during your first stay. This feedback was acted upon immediately when we received your completed online feedback form and action has been put in place to prevent a re-occurrence. Please accept my apologies for our shortcomings on this occasion. I am glad that I was able to return your sunglasses to you safely and it is fantastic that you will definitely return in the future. I look forward to welcoming you back to Norton House Hotel & Spa.
Kind regards.