“Pleasant stay”

Ranked #42 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
London, United Kingdom
“Pleasant stay”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Stayed here in May, nice location , with well kept garden, away from it all but so close to the airport and city centre. Very good service, well priced with very good and comfortable bedrooms. Business trip but would be a great place to stop over ore flight or for an away from it all weekend. Highly recommend a stay for the weekend.

Room Tip: Great for a weekend get away.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Richandcas
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
I appreciate you taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. It was very pleasing to read how comfortable you found our bedrooms. I do agree with you about our location - slightly out of the city centre, close to the airport but with a quiet, secluded feeling. Thank you for recommending us to prospective guests and I do hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the very near future.
Kind regards.
Chris Monks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
Dundee
Reviewed 8 June 2014

My wife and I stayed on an Itison Dinner, Bed and Breakfast Deal.
Initial impressions were good, due to the Concierge, who welcomed us and took us to our Junior Suite.
The Suite was well appointed, but there were worrying signs of wear and tear - notably the metal Balcony, which badly needs attention to a serous rust problem, and dark mould on the Shower sealant - we use Bleach Spray at home to control this, but perhaps Health and Safety prevents similar treatment in Hotels!
Our Dinner, served in the Brasserie was of a very high quality as was service from a young and friendly Spanish Waiter.
Breakfast, however, was a shambles, with no obvious Supervision. A shambling young Waitress eventually showed us to our Table, where the floor was covered with the remains of previous Breakfasts! Having taken our order for Tea/Coffee and Toast, and pointed out the Continental Breakfast Options, she had to reminded some 10 minutes later that she still required to take our Hot Breakfast Order!
On Checking Out, we were surprised that there was no information regarding access to Public Transport, in particular, the recently introduced Tram Service!
All in all, a pretty forgettable experience - sorry!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GrumpyDundee
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review following your recent stay. I was delighted to read you found the junior suite well appointed and that dinner in the Brasserie was of a high quality. I was sorry to read and I apologise that there were various aspects of your visit that you found disappointing. We do take all feedback extremely seriously as this helps us to understand where improvements can be made. I will discuss your comments with the relevant members of management and we will review them with their teams. Once again thank you for your honest constructive feedback.
Kind regards.
Surrey
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed one night for a wedding. The venue was beautiful, the 'garden suite' ideal to host the celebrations, the breakfast, the food, the service, bathrobes, rooms were all luxurious and top notch. However, or room (416) was far too warm... and on opening the window all we could hear all night was noise from some sort of air con unit. We didn't sleep hardly at all! Other guests in different locations had no problems with noise so I think we were unlucky. However something should be done about the heat and noise levels.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for posting a review following your recent stay to attend a wedding. I am delighted you enjoyed the celebrations and that you found the Garden Suite and the food and service during the day top notch.. Please accept my apology for your sleep being affected by noise. I will pass your comments regarding your room to our Maintenance team to investigate, as fans and air conditioning units should not be running during the night. Thank you again for your constructive feedback.
Oxenhope, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I was staying there on business and originally booked a classic double but due to the number of guests i got upgraded to the Kingdom Suite. It was stunning and it was a shame that I was there on my own. Beautiful views across the walled Garden to the Spa. Comfy Bed, Lovely bathroom with role top bath and TV. We had an evening meal in the Brasserie and the service was excellent and same again for breakfast in the morning. I only have on e complaint and that was the noise of the airport which was close by and this is why i have given this accommodation 4 stars

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Justine T
I appreciate you taking the time and trouble to write a review following your recent stay on business. It was great to read you were upgraded to the kingdom suite and that you found it stunning, and I am delighted that you enjoyed dinner and breakfast in the Brasserie. We are very close in proximity to the airport; however negative feedback regarding aircraft noise is very rare. I do hope we can welcome you back to Norton House Hotel & Spa in the very near future.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights in the Norton Hotel to attend a wedding.
It is a beautiful building about 25 min from the city centre. Perfect location for a spa weekend away.
Rooms are lovely and clean. Beds are very comfy. The balcony was missing a bit TLC.
Dinner was gorgeous. Absolutely tasty. The breakfast service wasn't the best. We waited a long time for our coffees to arrive and one morning my tea was cold. The variety of healthy breakfasts could be extended as well, but I guess British and Irish love it.
Overall, we probably wouldn't stay again as it was too far from the city and too expensive for what you get.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank TaMeJaBu
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review following your stay to attend a wedding. I am delighted you found your room lovely and clean and pleased that your bed was comfortable. I take on board your comment regarding the paintwork on the balcony and I am pleased to say that as part of our ongoing investment into the property, a contract has been approved to complete the redecoration of all external paintworks. As I write this response it is pleasing to say that this work has now begun. It is disappointing to read your feedback regarding service at breakfast and I apologise for your experiences. These comments will be discussed and reviewed by our Food and Beverage management team. Thank you again for your constructive feedback.
Paphos
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We spent 2 nights in Norton House, wish we could have stayed longer!
The rooms are very comfortable with views of the countryside all round.
The Spa is awesome.

We had a snack in the Brasserie on our arrival and it was delicious.
Also dinner in the Usher room was cosy, unrushed and delicious. Excellent service from the one sommelier/server......

Room Tip: It is a long walk via a circuitous route to rooms in the extension, and up one lift and down another...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us in May. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed yourself and I hope we will have the pleasure of inviting you back to Norton House Hotel and Spa in the future.
New York
Reviewed 2 June 2014

She was most helpful.
Breakfast time was busy and I wonder if pitchers of orange juice could be set out on the buffet instead of having to wait to place an order for that and toast and coffee with a very busy person.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
I appreciate you taking the time to post a review following your recent stay. I agree with you. Jennifer on reception is great and she will always do what she can to help with guest requests. I have spoken to her and thanked her for your kind words personally. I will pass your comments regarding Orange juice to our Food & Beverage Manager to review and discuss with his team. Thank you again for your feedback.