“Beautiful hotel”

Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh
Ranked #39 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Recently stayed here for two nights this hotel is amazing, much better then the online pictures. Hotel is situated down a long driveway feels like you are in the middle of nowhere instead of being just off the main road and minutes form the airport. We had booked a classic room but were amazed when we saw the room. It was on the lower level of the hotel but this was great for us as it was very quiet gorgeous view of the gardens Very spacious, great facilities, huge bed probably the comfiest bed I have slept in ever in a hotel. Food was very good, plenty of choice from sandwiches, bar snacks or restaurant meals. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. Spa facilities also very good. I would highly recommend this hotel and we will definitely return.

Room Tip: Classic rooms are very good for the money no need to spend extra to upgrade
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Thank you for posting a fantastic review on Trip Advisor following your recent visit to Norton House. I am pleased you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and that you found all our staff to be friendly and helpful. I am delighted that you plan to return in the future and I appreciate you recommending us to prospective guests. I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

My new wife and I are decided that Norton House sounded like the perfect place to have our wedding ceremony following our engagement last June. After visiting the venue and being shown around by Natasha (who was excellent all the way up to the wedding day with arrangements and answering any questions we had), we were then convinced the venue had everything we could possibly need to have a brilliant wedding.

We had a humanist ceremony in the garden suite on Friday 13th of June (unlucky for some but not for us!) and Jen had everything organised down to every little detail. Her relaxed yet professional approach totally put our minds at ease as we went through the final arrangements the night before the big day. All of our guests commented how good she and the rest of the hospitality team were that day.

The amount of positive reviews we read from other people who had also chosen Norton as their wedding venue in the past meant that we were sure that everything would be highly organised, the food would be great and the accommodation would be spot on and delighted to say all of the reviews were 100% accurate. I've been to many weddings before but Norton just seem like experts at providing a fantastic experience, setting and atmosphere where the whole team would do anything for you at the drop of a hat.

The food throughout the whole time we were at Norton was of a very high standard and worth every penny. Many of our guests said that it was the best wedding food they've ever had and hardly a crumb was left from either the 3 course wedding breakfast or the buffet later!

The garden suite is an ideal space for a ceremony and reception. The adjacent bar and outdoor areas are perfect for people to gather, drink and have a laugh together.

We felt quite deflated once we had to leave Norton the day after the wedding as we had such a brilliant time and wanted to replay the day and night right away.

Thanks again to all the staff and in particular to Natasha and Jen.

Paul & Jill Berryman

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bezmeister

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a lovely review of your wedding with us at Norton House. Settling in to married life can be quite hectic so I really do appreciate you finding the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. I am absolutely delighted that you had such a good time. Jen and Natasha are both on holiday leave but I will pass on your comments personally to them when they return back to the hotel. Please accept my congratulations on your wedding and I look forward to seeing you back at Norton House for many more celebrations in the future.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

This hotel is well appointed and well maintained. The food is very high quality along with every other aspect of the hotel. The gardens are well maintained and add atmosphere that extends far beyond the room. I honestly cannot find a single thing I would change about our visit except, possibly, the location. It isn't in the city, but it's worth the trip.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

I am very grateful to you for taking the time to post a review of Norton House Hotel and Spa following your visit with us in June. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and I am pleased that you appreciated the grounds and gardens. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Stayed here in May, nice location , with well kept garden, away from it all but so close to the airport and city centre. Very good service, well priced with very good and comfortable bedrooms. Business trip but would be a great place to stop over ore flight or for an away from it all weekend. Highly recommend a stay for the weekend.

Room Tip: Great for a weekend get away.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Richandcas
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

I appreciate you taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. It was very pleasing to read how comfortable you found our bedrooms. I do agree with you about our location - slightly out of the city centre, close to the airport but with a quiet, secluded feeling. Thank you for recommending us to prospective guests and I do hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

My wife and I stayed on an Itison Dinner, Bed and Breakfast Deal.
Initial impressions were good, due to the Concierge, who welcomed us and took us to our Junior Suite.
The Suite was well appointed, but there were worrying signs of wear and tear - notably the metal Balcony, which badly needs attention to a serous rust problem, and dark mould on the Shower sealant - we use Bleach Spray at home to control this, but perhaps Health and Safety prevents similar treatment in Hotels!
Our Dinner, served in the Brasserie was of a very high quality as was service from a young and friendly Spanish Waiter.
Breakfast, however, was a shambles, with no obvious Supervision. A shambling young Waitress eventually showed us to our Table, where the floor was covered with the remains of previous Breakfasts! Having taken our order for Tea/Coffee and Toast, and pointed out the Continental Breakfast Options, she had to reminded some 10 minutes later that she still required to take our Hot Breakfast Order!
On Checking Out, we were surprised that there was no information regarding access to Public Transport, in particular, the recently introduced Tram Service!
All in all, a pretty forgettable experience - sorry!

2  Thank GrumpyDundee
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review following your recent stay. I was delighted to read you found the junior suite well appointed and that dinner in the Brasserie was of a high quality. I was sorry to read and I apologise that there were various aspects of your visit that you found disappointing. We do take all feedback extremely seriously as this helps us to understand where improvements can be made. I will discuss your comments with the relevant members of management and we will review them with their teams. Once again thank you for your honest constructive feedback.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed one night for a wedding. The venue was beautiful, the 'garden suite' ideal to host the celebrations, the breakfast, the food, the service, bathrobes, rooms were all luxurious and top notch. However, or room (416) was far too warm... and on opening the window all we could hear all night was noise from some sort of air con unit. We didn't sleep hardly at all! Other guests in different locations had no problems with noise so I think we were unlucky. However something should be done about the heat and noise levels.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for posting a review following your recent stay to attend a wedding. I am delighted you enjoyed the celebrations and that you found the Garden Suite and the food and service during the day top notch.. Please accept my apology for your sleep being affected by noise. I will pass your comments regarding your room to our Maintenance team to investigate, as fans and air conditioning units should not be running during the night. Thank you again for your constructive feedback.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I was staying there on business and originally booked a classic double but due to the number of guests i got upgraded to the Kingdom Suite. It was stunning and it was a shame that I was there on my own. Beautiful views across the walled Garden to the Spa. Comfy Bed, Lovely bathroom with role top bath and TV. We had an evening meal in the Brasserie and the service was excellent and same again for breakfast in the morning. I only have on e complaint and that was the noise of the airport which was close by and this is why i have given this accommodation 4 stars

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Justine T

I appreciate you taking the time and trouble to write a review following your recent stay on business. It was great to read you were upgraded to the kingdom suite and that you found it stunning, and I am delighted that you enjoyed dinner and breakfast in the Brasserie. We are very close in proximity to the airport; however negative feedback regarding aircraft noise is very rare. I do hope we can welcome you back to Norton House Hotel & Spa in the very near future.