“Excellent”

Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh
Ranked #39 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel as we were attending an evening wedding reception there. Our room was a little small although perfectly formed and lacked nothing.
We had been in the room for a while when a terrible noise started. It sounded initially that it was coming from a room next door, but on further investigation there was no room next door! We contacted reception and within 5 minutes Pers (please forgive me if this is misspelt) came to the door to hear the noise. I'm guessing he was part of the management team.
Cutting a long story short, we were immediately moved to another room. To add to that we were given a complimentary bottle of wine with dinner.
We were very impressed by the way the problem was solved in such a no quibble, no fuss, professional manner. Would highly recommend this hotel.
Note: The wedding we attended was fantastic!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

I very much appreciate you taking the time to post a review following your stay to attend an evening wedding reception. I am delighted that the wedding you attended was fantastic and that you would recommend us to prospective guests. I have spoken to Piers Knowles our Front of House Manager and thanked him for your kind words. Please accept my apology for the noise issue you encountered. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

I and two friends spent two nights here as part of a CIE tour recently. This is one hotel that I would defiantly like to go back and stay at again.

Took advantage of the spa while I was there. It was just what was needed in the middle of a 14 day vacation.

As a cat lover, I was enchanted with their version of a DND notice. It was a stuffed kitten that you put outside your door when you do not wish to be disturbed.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

I very much appreciate you taking the time to post feedback following your recent stay. I am delighted you enjoyed your time in the Spa and that you loved Maisie our do not disturb cat. Maisie is very popular with our guests and I do hope you took the chance to take one of her brothers or sisters home with you. It is great that you would definitely stay with us again and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

We decided to visit the Spa at Norton House as a treat, and with the cost of treatments and access it was quite a 'big' treat for us in terms of expense, so our expectations were high!

On arrival we realised that areas of the spa were open to children for parts of the day, as this was the only pool at the hotel. It was not entirely relaxing to be sat at the side hearing screaming and getting splashed - and some parents were taking their young children into the hydrotherapy pool (where they were not supposed to). No member of staff sought to enforce the policy.

Our first treatments - the modern facial - were excellent. It was very relaxing, the therapist was responsive to questions and requests and my skin felt revitalised at the end. I'd definitely recommend this.

The relaxation room was also lovely. I fell asleep after my facial it was so peaceful and comfortable! Spot on. My only gripe is that there were no mugs for tea - but these were easy to find in the main waiting area.

The food (we had a one course lunch as part of our deal) was exceptional. I was thoroughly impressed and we both really enjoyed our meals (the parpadelle and gnocci).

After lunch we did the rasul treatment. Perhaps we hadn't read up on this but it was pretty disappointing. You self-apply some runny, thin mud to your body which remains slimy due to the steam in the room and then rinse it off following with some moisturiser. Not quite the 'mud bath' we have imagined! If that is what you're looking for it's probably fine, but this felt very disappointing, particularly with the price tag.

The final part of our day was a massage. My friend has a great time. However, when I was left to get on the table I found it to be soaking wet. The towels perhaps hadn't been changed, or the previous client had soaked through on to the table below. This was quite unpleasant. The room itself was also messy, with what felt like ex foliating granules underfoot on the floor and puddles. When the therapist returned about 5 minutes later (also excessive and eating into treatment time as it was never going to take that long to remove a robe and get under a towel) I asked for this to be addressed. She did apologise, and hurriedly changed the towels. I climbed onto the bed, and asked for the heat mat to be turned on as the room was also quite cold. She said that this room did not have one (not her usual room apparently - although the place wasn't busy so I don't know why a normal massage room wasn't used). I was quite disappointed as I was clearly shivering. She did turn up the heat (although I did not notice this) and gave me a duvet. This naturally does not help all that much given most of the time half of your body is uncovered for the treatment.

After the rather disappointing end to the day I was surprised that at no point when we were exiting did any member of staff ask how our experience had been. While aspects were good, as noted above, a lot left a bit to be desired and recognition of this and apology would have gone a long way. The cynic in my assumes that given they had my money they didn't care!

In summary, room for improvement:
- clearly advertising that the pool is not for exclusive use of adults, and before 11 and after 4 (or 5 - I can't remember) children may be present
- staff enforcing the no children policy in areas other than the pool!
- room preparation ahead of treatments
- checking in with customers on the conclusion of their day to see how it went

The highlights:
- The excellent food and staff in the dining area - also very reasonable prices given the quality on offer
- The relaxation room
- The facial experience

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank heather_goo

Thank you for posting a review on Trip advisor following your visit to our Spa. All your feedback is really important to us and whilst we naturally enjoy receiving positive reviews, we add just as much importance to comments letting us know where we did not do well. Please accept my apologies that certain aspects of your visit fell short of your expectations. Please be assured that your comments will be reviewed and the points addressed with the team. Thank you again for taking the time to let us know your feedback.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed overnight recently and had a very relaxing experience. The hotel and grounds are very peaceful. The room was in excellent condition and felt quite luxurious which pleased me as I presumed we were in the least expensive room type in the hotel. The food was delicious and the staff very pleasant. I would stay again without hesitation.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank memac-mountain

Thank you for posting such a positive review following your stay at our hotel. I am delighted you had such a relaxing time and that you found your room excellent and the food delicious. It is great to read that you would have no hesitation returning to stay and I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

We spent only one night at the hotel before our one week cruise on the Scottish Highlander. Since the Norton House is very close to the airport, I made a reservation primarily because of the location. We will definitely return and spend several nights next time. It was our good fortune that the Edinburgh Suite was available. For a special occasion, or just to feel like royalty, this suite is not to be missed. The room was enormous, with a tub & stall shower (TV over the tub), and a huge balcony going around the entire suite. The staff catered to our every desire. The hotel is an excellent value, offers a memorable experience, and is perfect property to start, or end, a trip to Scotland.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for posting such a wonderful review following your stay at Norton House Hotel & Spa, I am delighted that you enjoyed the Edinburgh Suite and that you found our hotel to be a great location to start your trip in Scotland. Your comments regarding the staff and food are very much appreciated; and I will ensure the team are made aware of your fantastic feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back to Norton House in the not too distant future, where hopefully next time you can stay longer and take advantage of using our Health Club & Spa.
Kind regards

Reviewed 24 June 2014

checked into this hotel and wow was fab room was excellent so clean big bathroom. had a few glasses of wine sitting in the beautiful grounds on a sunny afternoon. Went to the spa for a massage where my husband and I were treat very well and made to feel very comfortable. We ate dinner in the restaurant which was 5 star everything was delicious. After a great nights sleep we went for breakfast we had the full English which was again delicious the staff were very helpful and very courteous I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chezzypeterhead
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Thank you for such a positive review. I was pleased to read that you found all aspects of your stay to be excellent and that you will definitely return to the hotel. On behalf of all the team at Norton House may I thank you for your great feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Recently stayed here for two nights this hotel is amazing, much better then the online pictures. Hotel is situated down a long driveway feels like you are in the middle of nowhere instead of being just off the main road and minutes form the airport. We had booked a classic room but were amazed when we saw the room. It was on the lower level of the hotel but this was great for us as it was very quiet gorgeous view of the gardens Very spacious, great facilities, huge bed probably the comfiest bed I have slept in ever in a hotel. Food was very good, plenty of choice from sandwiches, bar snacks or restaurant meals. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. Spa facilities also very good. I would highly recommend this hotel and we will definitely return.

Room Tip: Classic rooms are very good for the money no need to spend extra to upgrade