“Loved it, cant wait to go back!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh

Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh
Ranked #39 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Paisley, United Kingdom
“Loved it, cant wait to go back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

My husband booked this as a surprise for our wedding anniversary, we stayed sun 6th july. He had booked a junior suite, but on arrival our room was not ready but they offered to take our bags to room. When we came back from the car they had got us a room ready which was great but we were then offered to pay extra for an upgrade to the kingdom suite which we decided to do.

The suite was lovely, bigger than some 1 bedroom flats! It was beautifully decorated and had everything you could possibly want. It was very clean and so were all the public areas/spa facilities.. The surroundings were lovely and a great location as you felt like you were in the middle of nowhere, not near a city centre.

We had room service for dinner to make use of the dining room in the suite and then sat on massive balcony watching the sun set. We also got breakfast to the room and thought the £3 tray charge was excellent value. The food was excellent. I also loved the tilevision in the bathroom. The facilities on offer in this suite were fabulous.

We used the swimming pool etc and had relaxing few hours there chilling and having cocktails in the spa's bar. Again everyone was friendly and we really enjoyed our time here.

Every member of staff we encountered was lovely and friendly and I honestly cannot find a single fault for our stay. (well except we should of booked 2 nights!) We love a bit of luxury and good service but also like somewhere down to earth and not 'stuck up' and this ticked those boxes. We often stay at sandals royal plantation, in Jamaica and we thought nowhere would ever compare to it but this certainly does and even better is closer to home so can enjoy more!

We are already looking at a return visit and would recommend to anyone!

Room Tip: The kingdom suite is beautiful!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you for posting such a lovely review of Norton House Hotel & Spa following your recent stay with us. I was delighted you found the Kingdom Suite beautiful and that you found the food and service to be excellent. It is great that you found all our staff helpful and that they could not do enough for you. I will ensure the team are all aware of your kind comments; they will be very encouraged by them. It is great that you are already looking at returning and I thank you for recommending us to future guests.
Chris Monks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Food was delicious and was very fast also hot. staff were very friendly and the gardens were really nice and well kept as well. only one thing I had to complain about was the price of drinks and the prices of the drinks changed two or three times.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your Prom night at Norton House Hotel. I am delighted you found the food delicious and that all the team were friendly and the gardens nice. I am confident that the bar prices we charge are comparable with similar local establishments but I apologise for the confusion over pricing. We have an Epos system in our bars so I am confused as to why the prices would vary. I have passed your feedback onto our Food & Beverage Manager so he can look into your comments. Once again thank you for your review.
Wishaw, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights DBB deal. The rooms are lovely and clean and the staff were very obliging and friendly. We had lovely weather so sat outside in the beautiful gardens all day. We were so chilled already we didn't even make it to the Spa but when we had a peek it did look nice. The food was delicious and plenty to choose from.

Stayed June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip advisor following your two night stay in June. I am delighted that you had a nice relaxing stay and that you were able to take advantage of the sun and utilise the beautiful gardens. It is great to read you found the staff friendly and obliging and that you found the food delicious with lots to choose from. I do hope to welcome you back to Norton House very soon.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

It's a beautiful old country house hotel with a plush new wing.
The surrounding countryside is very scenic but it's conveniently located just 10 mins from Edinburgh airport, although it's 20-30 mins from Edinburgh town centre if required.
The staff were friendly & helpful & the food in the restaurant was surprisingly excellent.
Only negative was a very poor mobile phone signal (which is not always a bad thing)!

Room Tip: I have not stayed in the old rooms in the old wing so can only say that the rooms in the new wing ar...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of Norton House Hotel and Spa on Trip advisor following your recent stay with us. I am delighted you found our staff friendly and helpful and that the food in the restaurant was excellent. I take on board your comments regarding mobile phone signal, this does vary dependant on what area of the hotel you are in and what provider you are registered with. I will pass your comments onto our asset team as I am aware they are looking at ways of improving mobile phone reception.
Kind regards
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel as we were attending an evening wedding reception there. Our room was a little small although perfectly formed and lacked nothing.
We had been in the room for a while when a terrible noise started. It sounded initially that it was coming from a room next door, but on further investigation there was no room next door! We contacted reception and within 5 minutes Pers (please forgive me if this is misspelt) came to the door to hear the noise. I'm guessing he was part of the management team.
Cutting a long story short, we were immediately moved to another room. To add to that we were given a complimentary bottle of wine with dinner.
We were very impressed by the way the problem was solved in such a no quibble, no fuss, professional manner. Would highly recommend this hotel.
Note: The wedding we attended was fantastic!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I very much appreciate you taking the time to post a review following your stay to attend an evening wedding reception. I am delighted that the wedding you attended was fantastic and that you would recommend us to prospective guests. I have spoken to Piers Knowles our Front of House Manager and thanked him for your kind words. Please accept my apology for the noise issue you encountered. Thank you again for your feedback.
Eden, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

I and two friends spent two nights here as part of a CIE tour recently. This is one hotel that I would defiantly like to go back and stay at again.

Took advantage of the spa while I was there. It was just what was needed in the middle of a 14 day vacation.

As a cat lover, I was enchanted with their version of a DND notice. It was a stuffed kitten that you put outside your door when you do not wish to be disturbed.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
      Location
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I very much appreciate you taking the time to post feedback following your recent stay. I am delighted you enjoyed your time in the Spa and that you loved Maisie our do not disturb cat. Maisie is very popular with our guests and I do hope you took the chance to take one of her brothers or sisters home with you. It is great that you would definitely stay with us again and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

We decided to visit the Spa at Norton House as a treat, and with the cost of treatments and access it was quite a 'big' treat for us in terms of expense, so our expectations were high!

On arrival we realised that areas of the spa were open to children for parts of the day, as this was the only pool at the hotel. It was not entirely relaxing to be sat at the side hearing screaming and getting splashed - and some parents were taking their young children into the hydrotherapy pool (where they were not supposed to). No member of staff sought to enforce the policy.

Our first treatments - the modern facial - were excellent. It was very relaxing, the therapist was responsive to questions and requests and my skin felt revitalised at the end. I'd definitely recommend this.

The relaxation room was also lovely. I fell asleep after my facial it was so peaceful and comfortable! Spot on. My only gripe is that there were no mugs for tea - but these were easy to find in the main waiting area.

The food (we had a one course lunch as part of our deal) was exceptional. I was thoroughly impressed and we both really enjoyed our meals (the parpadelle and gnocci).

After lunch we did the rasul treatment. Perhaps we hadn't read up on this but it was pretty disappointing. You self-apply some runny, thin mud to your body which remains slimy due to the steam in the room and then rinse it off following with some moisturiser. Not quite the 'mud bath' we have imagined! If that is what you're looking for it's probably fine, but this felt very disappointing, particularly with the price tag.

The final part of our day was a massage. My friend has a great time. However, when I was left to get on the table I found it to be soaking wet. The towels perhaps hadn't been changed, or the previous client had soaked through on to the table below. This was quite unpleasant. The room itself was also messy, with what felt like ex foliating granules underfoot on the floor and puddles. When the therapist returned about 5 minutes later (also excessive and eating into treatment time as it was never going to take that long to remove a robe and get under a towel) I asked for this to be addressed. She did apologise, and hurriedly changed the towels. I climbed onto the bed, and asked for the heat mat to be turned on as the room was also quite cold. She said that this room did not have one (not her usual room apparently - although the place wasn't busy so I don't know why a normal massage room wasn't used). I was quite disappointed as I was clearly shivering. She did turn up the heat (although I did not notice this) and gave me a duvet. This naturally does not help all that much given most of the time half of your body is uncovered for the treatment.

After the rather disappointing end to the day I was surprised that at no point when we were exiting did any member of staff ask how our experience had been. While aspects were good, as noted above, a lot left a bit to be desired and recognition of this and apology would have gone a long way. The cynic in my assumes that given they had my money they didn't care!

In summary, room for improvement:
- clearly advertising that the pool is not for exclusive use of adults, and before 11 and after 4 (or 5 - I can't remember) children may be present
- staff enforcing the no children policy in areas other than the pool!
- room preparation ahead of treatments
- checking in with customers on the conclusion of their day to see how it went

The highlights:
- The excellent food and staff in the dining area - also very reasonable prices given the quality on offer
- The relaxation room
- The facial experience

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank heather_goo
Thank you for posting a review on Trip advisor following your visit to our Spa. All your feedback is really important to us and whilst we naturally enjoy receiving positive reviews, we add just as much importance to comments letting us know where we did not do well. Please accept my apologies that certain aspects of your visit fell short of your expectations. Please be assured that your comments will be reviewed and the points addressed with the team. Thank you again for taking the time to let us know your feedback.