“Needs stronger Management”

Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh
Ranked #41 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 29 December 2008

On a two day business event.

Meeting room great apart from no blinds just open or shut curtains (electric). Chap that looked after us was good (apart from couldn't use creativity to get tea bags they had run out of - there are two supermarkets within a mile).

Food good - though VERY carb heavy or fried buffet food. Evening meal (private room) good.

Rooms nice if in new block, very dated in main house - apparently that 's a upgrade (which felt like the opposite!)

The Spa reception need a course in customer care as they are hopeless and its the third time I've been and they are no better in 12 months, which is a shame as it could be first rate.

In terms of a school report 'needs to concentrate more on the customer' especially with new hotels in Edinburgh opening!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank BAManEdinburgh

Reviewed 15 November 2008

Norton house is a lovely place in itself, but as a base for exploring Edinburgh, there are far better options. If you have a hire-car, the motorway is easy to access, but taxi fare to Edinburgh is a bit steep.

The hotel itself is stunning, the grounds are beautiful, we had a fantastic room in the old, main building, beautifully decorated, exactly as crooked and dusty as you'd expect, but not too much. The staff were all very sweet and helpful, and the breakfast was excellent.

Norton house is a popular place to arrange weddings and other get-togethers, which can be a problem if you - like we did - have a room facing the parking lot and entrance. Although we have a fairly high tolerance for drunken Scotsmen, patience has a tendency to run out quickly when you're kept awake by drunken, slurred singing at 2 AM. Thankfully it didn't last long enough for us to complain.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pastryslave
Reviewed 10 November 2008

Just back from a one night's stay at Norton House Edinburgh. Excellent new spa and leisure facilities. A long drive way leads up to an impressive old hotel building with modern glass conservatory and new accommodation block. Extensive wooded grounds makes you feel right in the countryside when you are just minutes from the motorway. Rooms well maintained and decorated, huge flat screen TV. Very comfortable (and massive) bed. Dining: Good light lunch in the Spa Bar, dinner in the main hotel and a great cooked and continental breakfast. Helpful staff, great location and great dining and leisure facilities. This hotel has just won the AA Hotel of the Year 2008/2009 Scotland award!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank CB_Aberdeen
Reviewed 15 October 2008

I stayed at the Norton House Hotel in October 2008 and overall enjoyed my stay. I had the Queensferry Room, just above the main entrance, but did not hear any noise from either inside or outside, and the curtains shut out all of the light from outside (the "display" lights are left on all night). Service was mainly good, although their early-morning desk clerks were sometimes a bit less apt than the day clerks.

There were a couple things about the room that could have used some help: a burned-out light in the bathroom, the desk chair was very loose to the point where sitting in it scared me, and somehow a half-package of hot dog buns got left in one of the dresser drawers by an earlier guest and had mold spots on it when I found it.

Food in both the Brasserie and Ushers was good, although I didn't really see much difference between the two. Restaurant staff was excellent.

I would definitely go back to this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank E5
Reviewed 30 September 2008

Having read many a good review of the hotel I was slightly disappointed by my stay. Yes the hotel is set in impressive grounds and is very handy for easy access onto the motorways but the whole experience in my opinion was very average. The staff at reception were however extremely helpful and nothing was too much trouble. We stayed in the older side of the hotel (room 305) which again was dare I say it....average. Our 4 year old son was also sharing the room and he was given use of the sofa bed which left the smallish room more cramped than would be usual. Bathroom was nothing out of the ordinary although we did like the oversized flat screen tv. My husband complained about the lack of lighting in the bathroom and I have to agree that it was very dimly lit.On our first night we dined in the bistro which had a very good children's menu and nothing was too much trouble for the little one who was also supplied with crayons and colouring book. He enjoyed his mini portion of haddock and chips ( which was an adult sized portion - still he wasn't complaining). My husband and I opted for the fish dish. Again very average, not at all what I was expecting. The following morning we enjoyed breakfast which was fine, nothing out of the ordinary but substantial enough. The next morning's breakfast (Sunday) was a completely different story - totally unorganised and not what you would expect of such a hotel. We had to wait at least 20 mins for our cooked breakfast order to be taken. When it did arrive and I asked for some ketchup and toast, I was told that they were busy and I may have to wait a while. After a further ten minutes, when my breakfast was all but gone, it arrived ( AT THE SECOND ASKING). There was a shortage of cutlery on the tables, no butter and jam pots etc and total chaos ensued. This is not the kind of service you would expect in this kind of establishment.

Overall some positive points - i.e. friendliness of the staff etc but I think if you are going to be spending this kind of money head off over to the City Centre.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank jc0llins
Reviewed 26 September 2008

We stayed at the hotel for a family anniversary. Nearly 30 of us in total.

The rooms were fantastic! We were in one of the new rooms which even have a TV built into the bathroom wall!! My 11yr old daughter thought this was great!

All the staff we met were really friendly and nothing was too much trouble.

We stayed for two nights, the first night we ate in the main restaurant which was lovely, the food was very tasty and well presented. The second night we had a private dining room for the group and again the food was beautiful.

The spa is amazing, they have a hydrotherapy pool (Jacuzzi), which is so relaxing after a hard nights partying. My wife used the gym as she is training for a half marathon and wanted to keep up the exercise. I had a look round the treatment rooms and they seem popular as well.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 September 2008

I recently stayed here with a friend on a Spa weekend. The hotel is on the very outskirts of Edinburgh so I am not sure how sensible a base it is if you plan to spend time in Edinburgh.

The hotel itself was lovely although the twin room was a bit pokey. The staff were very helpful particularly over at the Spa. The brasserie staff were very good and the food there was excellent.

The Spa is in a separate building which is not so great if you are a hotel guest. It just means if you are going for a Spa break you need to take all your things over to the Spa for the day as popping back to your room in your dressing gown is not really possible !! The Spa treatments were good although short however that is possibly as they were part of the Spa package and if you wanted longer treatments you can add them on as extra.

Overall we had a great time although it was quite expensive for the package we got.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends