“Would not give them my money! Disgraceful”

Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh
Ranked #43 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Aberdeen
“Would not give them my money! Disgraceful”
Reviewed 29 January 2009

I booked this as a Christmas present for my mum as she had told me that she fancied going to a spa hotel.

I phoned the spa two weeks before our stay and left a message on the answer phone every day with my work, home and mobile numbers on it and never received a call back.

I contacted the reception who kept putting me back through to the answer machine. Eventually when I expressed my frustration to the receptionist she informed me that she only had the same number and their wasn't anything she could do!

I was informed that check in was 3pm and checkout was 11am and that was not for debate.

After another three phone calls I finally got through to the spa to be informed that there were no treatments left for the day of our stay however they could book us in at 4.30 pm on the day we left! When I pointed out that we had to check out at 11am I was told that wasn't a problem because we could leave our baggage at the spa! Not likely!

I was then told I could get a half hour appointment at 12.30 pm which I reluctantly took for my mum but when I told her of the problems she told me to cancel it.

I contacted the Travel Agent and expressed my displeasure and they were very concerned and offered to change the dates. I agreed to this but when she returned she informed me that I would be required to pay another £38 which I flatly refused and told her to refund my money.

The Travel Agent then told me that the third party company would charge me £23 for cancellation. I refused to pay the cancellation fee. So far, this issue is still unresolved. I WILL NEVER USE THIS HOTEL. CUSTOMER SERVICE IS NON EXISTENT

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Service deplorable. An absolute disgrace.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank Burdybouncer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
North Petherton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2009

Return visit to the Norton House and was given a free upgrade to executive room (as a result of feedback on disappointing previous visit), room was as before but bathroom has underfloor heating and tv. Room itself is more spacious and had a balcony (603). As I was staying for a few days took advantage of the facilites in the Spa which was excellent - super treatments and geat indoor pool. **Please note if your travel arrangements change after checking in you do not get any refund no matter how soon you cancel any nights not required.**

• Liked — Watching TV in the bath
  • Disliked — Completely hopeless mobile phone service and inflexibity for the business traveller
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
Edinburgh
Reviewed 29 December 2008

On a two day business event.

Meeting room great apart from no blinds just open or shut curtains (electric). Chap that looked after us was good (apart from couldn't use creativity to get tea bags they had run out of - there are two supermarkets within a mile).

Food good - though VERY carb heavy or fried buffet food. Evening meal (private room) good.

Rooms nice if in new block, very dated in main house - apparently that 's a upgrade (which felt like the opposite!)

The Spa reception need a course in customer care as they are hopeless and its the third time I've been and they are no better in 12 months, which is a shame as it could be first rate.

In terms of a school report 'needs to concentrate more on the customer' especially with new hotels in Edinburgh opening!

• Liked — The Spa but not the Spa receptionists
  • Disliked — The main house rooms
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank BAManEdinburgh
Bergen
Reviewed 15 November 2008

Norton house is a lovely place in itself, but as a base for exploring Edinburgh, there are far better options. If you have a hire-car, the motorway is easy to access, but taxi fare to Edinburgh is a bit steep.

The hotel itself is stunning, the grounds are beautiful, we had a fantastic room in the old, main building, beautifully decorated, exactly as crooked and dusty as you'd expect, but not too much. The staff were all very sweet and helpful, and the breakfast was excellent.

Norton house is a popular place to arrange weddings and other get-togethers, which can be a problem if you - like we did - have a room facing the parking lot and entrance. Although we have a fairly high tolerance for drunken Scotsmen, patience has a tendency to run out quickly when you're kept awake by drunken, slurred singing at 2 AM. Thankfully it didn't last long enough for us to complain.

• Liked — The charming room & grounds
  • Disliked — the distance from Edinburgh
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pastryslave
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2008

Just back from a one night's stay at Norton House Edinburgh. Excellent new spa and leisure facilities. A long drive way leads up to an impressive old hotel building with modern glass conservatory and new accommodation block. Extensive wooded grounds makes you feel right in the countryside when you are just minutes from the motorway. Rooms well maintained and decorated, huge flat screen TV. Very comfortable (and massive) bed. Dining: Good light lunch in the Spa Bar, dinner in the main hotel and a great cooked and continental breakfast. Helpful staff, great location and great dining and leisure facilities. This hotel has just won the AA Hotel of the Year 2008/2009 Scotland award!

• Liked — Comfortable rooms, huge TV, massive bed.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank CB_Aberdeen
France
Reviewed 15 October 2008

I stayed at the Norton House Hotel in October 2008 and overall enjoyed my stay. I had the Queensferry Room, just above the main entrance, but did not hear any noise from either inside or outside, and the curtains shut out all of the light from outside (the "display" lights are left on all night). Service was mainly good, although their early-morning desk clerks were sometimes a bit less apt than the day clerks.

There were a couple things about the room that could have used some help: a burned-out light in the bathroom, the desk chair was very loose to the point where sitting in it scared me, and somehow a half-package of hot dog buns got left in one of the dresser drawers by an earlier guest and had mold spots on it when I found it.

Food in both the Brasserie and Ushers was good, although I didn't really see much difference between the two. Restaurant staff was excellent.

I would definitely go back to this hotel.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank E5
Gateshead, Tyne and Wear
Reviewed 30 September 2008

Having read many a good review of the hotel I was slightly disappointed by my stay. Yes the hotel is set in impressive grounds and is very handy for easy access onto the motorways but the whole experience in my opinion was very average. The staff at reception were however extremely helpful and nothing was too much trouble. We stayed in the older side of the hotel (room 305) which again was dare I say it....average. Our 4 year old son was also sharing the room and he was given use of the sofa bed which left the smallish room more cramped than would be usual. Bathroom was nothing out of the ordinary although we did like the oversized flat screen tv. My husband complained about the lack of lighting in the bathroom and I have to agree that it was very dimly lit.On our first night we dined in the bistro which had a very good children's menu and nothing was too much trouble for the little one who was also supplied with crayons and colouring book. He enjoyed his mini portion of haddock and chips ( which was an adult sized portion - still he wasn't complaining). My husband and I opted for the fish dish. Again very average, not at all what I was expecting. The following morning we enjoyed breakfast which was fine, nothing out of the ordinary but substantial enough. The next morning's breakfast (Sunday) was a completely different story - totally unorganised and not what you would expect of such a hotel. We had to wait at least 20 mins for our cooked breakfast order to be taken. When it did arrive and I asked for some ketchup and toast, I was told that they were busy and I may have to wait a while. After a further ten minutes, when my breakfast was all but gone, it arrived ( AT THE SECOND ASKING). There was a shortage of cutlery on the tables, no butter and jam pots etc and total chaos ensued. This is not the kind of service you would expect in this kind of establishment.

Overall some positive points - i.e. friendliness of the staff etc but I think if you are going to be spending this kind of money head off over to the City Centre.

• Liked — staff friendliness at reception
  • Disliked — chaos at breakfast time - and average rooms etc.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family