“Disappointing Valentine's Day. Low standards.”

Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh
Ranked #40 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 20 February 2009

I stayed there with my wife on Valentine's Day and the hotel really disappointed both of us. The location is fine, and the hotel looks impressive, but the service is far below what it should be.
The bathroom has a dirty toilet bowl and a shower with mouldy walls and seals. There were no seals on the toiletries (although there should be). The bedspread has a large 12" visible stain on it. When we complained, the hotel said they had no replacement. Most surfaces were dusty. Although the room has a large TV, the bed was well past its best and the pillows were hard and lumpy. Food in the restaurant was correctly cooked, but the quality of ingredients was poor. Service in the restaurant was unattentive and unprofessional. Breakfast was OK, but I expected more than one rasher of bacon and one small sausage! Tables were left uncleared for all the time we were dining.
Overall, the hotel was a massive disappointment for a special occasion. The hotel desperately needs stronger management and a focus on higher standards and an attention to detail. There are better hotels in Edinburgh. Avoid.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ClimberBoy
Write a ReviewReviews (1,520)

Reviewed 20 February 2009

Stayed in a wonderful Executive room and felt completely spoilt. Great bed, big flatscreen TV, fridge with mil & water, fantastic bathroom with underfloor heating (bliss) and a superb shower, TV in bathroom too. Modern yet Scottish decor. Lovely food and a great breakfast. It surely does feel like you are a million miles away from Edinburgh as it is such a lovely secluded place. Easy access to the motorway and just a short taxi ride away from the Airport. Very impressive Spa and big swimmingpool too.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 February 2009

We booked this last mintue as a friend of ours is getting married there and our attention had been drawn to it.

The hotel is located very close to Edinburgh airport but that did not really impact on our stay. It is also set in it's own, very nice grounds.

The hotel has a bistro and a michelin star restaurant. We ate in the bistro and the food was nice but I had a tuna steak and asked for it to be medium and it came fully cooked through which was a bit disappointing.

The hotel has recently been refurbished and extended to include a magnificent spa. The spa has a large pool, hydrotherapy pool, experince shower, sauna and steam room and also offers varous treatments and therapies. The spa also has a very nice lounge bar where you can have a nice lunch, healthy or unhealthy, which ever you prefer!

We would definately reccomend a stay here, if not for any other reason than the lovely spa!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NomadicFifers
Reviewed 29 January 2009

I booked this as a Christmas present for my mum as she had told me that she fancied going to a spa hotel.

I phoned the spa two weeks before our stay and left a message on the answer phone every day with my work, home and mobile numbers on it and never received a call back.

I contacted the reception who kept putting me back through to the answer machine. Eventually when I expressed my frustration to the receptionist she informed me that she only had the same number and their wasn't anything she could do!

I was informed that check in was 3pm and checkout was 11am and that was not for debate.

After another three phone calls I finally got through to the spa to be informed that there were no treatments left for the day of our stay however they could book us in at 4.30 pm on the day we left! When I pointed out that we had to check out at 11am I was told that wasn't a problem because we could leave our baggage at the spa! Not likely!

I was then told I could get a half hour appointment at 12.30 pm which I reluctantly took for my mum but when I told her of the problems she told me to cancel it.

I contacted the Travel Agent and expressed my displeasure and they were very concerned and offered to change the dates. I agreed to this but when she returned she informed me that I would be required to pay another £38 which I flatly refused and told her to refund my money.

The Travel Agent then told me that the third party company would charge me £23 for cancellation. I refused to pay the cancellation fee. So far, this issue is still unresolved. I WILL NEVER USE THIS HOTEL. CUSTOMER SERVICE IS NON EXISTENT

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank Burdybouncer
Reviewed 28 January 2009

Return visit to the Norton House and was given a free upgrade to executive room (as a result of feedback on disappointing previous visit), room was as before but bathroom has underfloor heating and tv. Room itself is more spacious and had a balcony (603). As I was staying for a few days took advantage of the facilites in the Spa which was excellent - super treatments and geat indoor pool. **Please note if your travel arrangements change after checking in you do not get any refund no matter how soon you cancel any nights not required.**

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 29 December 2008

On a two day business event.

Meeting room great apart from no blinds just open or shut curtains (electric). Chap that looked after us was good (apart from couldn't use creativity to get tea bags they had run out of - there are two supermarkets within a mile).

Food good - though VERY carb heavy or fried buffet food. Evening meal (private room) good.

Rooms nice if in new block, very dated in main house - apparently that 's a upgrade (which felt like the opposite!)

The Spa reception need a course in customer care as they are hopeless and its the third time I've been and they are no better in 12 months, which is a shame as it could be first rate.

In terms of a school report 'needs to concentrate more on the customer' especially with new hotels in Edinburgh opening!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank BAManEdinburgh
Reviewed 15 November 2008

Norton house is a lovely place in itself, but as a base for exploring Edinburgh, there are far better options. If you have a hire-car, the motorway is easy to access, but taxi fare to Edinburgh is a bit steep.

The hotel itself is stunning, the grounds are beautiful, we had a fantastic room in the old, main building, beautifully decorated, exactly as crooked and dusty as you'd expect, but not too much. The staff were all very sweet and helpful, and the breakfast was excellent.

Norton house is a popular place to arrange weddings and other get-togethers, which can be a problem if you - like we did - have a room facing the parking lot and entrance. Although we have a fairly high tolerance for drunken Scotsmen, patience has a tendency to run out quickly when you're kept awake by drunken, slurred singing at 2 AM. Thankfully it didn't last long enough for us to complain.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple