“We will never, repeat never, stay there again!!!”

Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh
Ranked #42 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
toronto
“We will never, repeat never, stay there again!!!”
Reviewed 7 December 2009

This hotel advertised itself as a quiet luxury hotel set away from the noise and bustle of the city, and convenient to the airport. This was just what we needed - we had travelled quite a distance to get there, and would be flying for most of the next day, so we really needed a good night's sleep.
We went to bed early, but were woken by a persistent thumping sound (interrupted occasionally by voices) that just would not stop. I tried, unsuccessfully, to sleep with a pillow over my head. Eventually, at around midnight, I dressed, and on my way to the front desk passed a hall where a party was in full swing, with noise at inexcusable volume (and it wasn't as if we were next-door to the hall!). The night manager promised to resolve the matter immediately; despite such promise, the noise continued unabated until at least 1 a.m. (or maybe I just fell asleep, exhausted, around then). Not surprisingly, we arose the next morning with thumping headaches.
I told the manager that I would be filing a negative feedback review. He offered me a refund of half the amount we paid for our 'accomodation' if I would refrain from providing a negative report. Although it would be nice to have some money returned to partially compensate for our nightmare, my integrity would not allow me to be 'bought off'' - I owed it to other travellers looking for a quiet place to sleep to warn them.
All that being said, the (early evening) front desk staff and (early evening) manager, and the restaurant staff, were fabulous. Unfortunately, they are not the people who make decisions about the noise level.
This hotel must decide its identity - is its objective to provide what travellers need (quiet, clean accomodation and good meals), or to act as a reception hall with accomodation for those who attend such receptions/parties and will sleep at the end of the reception? If one objective iconflicts with the other, the true objective can be seen in how the hotel managers respond.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank traveloverToronto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
west lothian
Reviewed 6 December 2009

This hotel can only be described as perfect. We have stayed here a few times before but this time decided to live it up it in the kingdom penthouse suite. The suite was absolutely outstanding, it was beautiful.....it consisted of a lounge, dining room, dressing area, an absolutely huge bedroom & a stunning bathroom with a beautiful roll top bath big enough for two. All this was topped off with a fantastic full length balcony.....perfect.

Our friends stayed in one of the new executive rooms which was as equally luxurious. We did not visit the spa but our friends did & came back absolutely delighted at the treatments & also the way they were treated by the staff. We had dinner in the brasserie which had a great menu with plenty of choice....the food was delicious & the wine was fantastic with a great selection to choose from. We had breakfast in bed which was delicious & a real treat. If your ever looking for somewhere to go to relax or for a special occasion, take my advice & head to the Norton House......you wont be dissapointed!!!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 2 December 2009

Norton House was the perfect pick for a two day trip to Edinburgh. The quiet and beautiful surroundings gave us a different feeling from being in the city centre all day. The 48 bus picked us up and dropped us off right at the hotel walkway. Otherwise, a cab ride from Waverly station cost us 20 quid. The staff were incredibly helpful and friendly. The breakfast that was included in our deal was delicious. The 24 hour room service and dvd collection definitely came in handy as well. I highly recommend this place! I want to visit other Hand Picked Hotels now!

Southampton
Reviewed 30 November 2009

This is a lovely old building with a modern hotel. Have stayed here several times and always been excellent. Staff are very friendly and helpful and the service is impeccable. The spa is fantastic!
Have stayed in standard rooms which are great as well as junior suite. The suite is nice but a little odd - it is plit level with huge bed downstairs and a sitting area on a balcony level upstairs. Thought it would have been nicer with bed upstairs.
Only problem can be getting a taxi from the airport – it is only 5 minutes and have been moaned at it is not worth their time to go such a short distance!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Glasgow
Reviewed 29 November 2009

A friend recommended this hotel when I mentioned I was looking for somewhere for a relaxing and romantic stay with my wife. I was looking for somewhere that had a modern part as well as traditional, that also did good food and had a pool/spa. This place fitted the bill exactly. We paid abit more to get the executive room which was a good size, had a balcony and even had a TV in the bathroom. Although there were 2 weddings and a party on, the place wasn't too busy. The pool was quiet and relaxing and I would certainly recommend use of the spa....staff really friendly. If you are looking for a relaxing break it would be hard to beat this place.

jazztune
Reviewed 22 November 2009

We stayed in Norton House Hotel for one night after a wedding there. First, check-in is at 3pm, even though the wedding started at 2pm (and checkout is 11am so you don't really get much time for your money). We checked in when there was a break before the wedding meal. The staff at reception are not friendly, they had a cold, business-like manner.

The room itself was large with modern furniture, but a very small bath. Huge television and lot of storage/furniture, but neither are particularly high on my priority list.

Went to bed about 1am, and at 2pm was disturbed by a hoard of glass bottles being tipped into a bin - right outside our window! The windows were not sound or draft proof.
Then could hear voices from other rooms, and to top it off at about 5am heard lots of banging outside, which was very annoying.

Then came breakfast, which we were able to order the night before. Arrived on time and nice service. However, the portion was so small and I couldn't believe this was a 4-star hotel. And it was not high quality food either, or home made style, its very much local supermarket job.

It sounds like I am being very critical, but I definitely expected alot more from somewhere I was paying OVER £100 to stay. I've stayed in B and Bs and less starred hotels that have been much higher standards and quality. I can see why it is 4 not 5 star.

Also, when they ask you if you want a newspaper be aware that this is not complimentary, they charge you £2-£3 for it.

I won't be going back to this hotel.

Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jazztune
Falkirk
Reviewed 15 November 2009

Stayed here for one night, it was just what we were lookng for.

We had an executive room in the new section which was very well appointed, spacious and modern, we especially liked the "tileovision" TV!! Made use of the leisure facilities (not spa though) which again were very modern, clean, with plenty of room, not your usual effort of the box like sauna and steam rooms. We ate in the Brasserie and the food was lovely. Breakfast, again in the Brasserie, was very nice. Only very slight complaint was that we could just hear the planes from the airport, but only just and definately wouldn't stop me staying there again. All in all we'll definately go back.