“Nice, Elegant Place to Relax”

Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh
Ranked #39 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 6 January 2010

We stayed at Norton House over New Year's. They had a set program for the celebration - 2 nights. The staff was very friendly and courteous. Everything was organized well for the celebration (afternoon tea, breakfast, new year dinner dance was included) and the food was excellent considering they served nearly 100 guests at the same time in the ballroom. We only had a chance to eat at the brasserie because the other formal restaurant was closed but the food was outstanding and the service was prompt. Staff in the restaurant are not knowledgeable about whiskys though.
The rooms were very nice, clean, and updated (we stayed at the Hilton Caledonian in Edinburgh - this is comparable). The heated floors in the bathroom are nice. We were in the super new part - and there really arent that many rooms but it's so spacious it feels like there are more rooms. Internet was REALLY expensive. Room service for breakfast is nice, they'll deliver to your room with no extra service charge and no inflated prices, so you could have breakfast in your room.
Spa wasnt open at that time unfortunately but it looked super nice.
We wanted to stay at a castle over new year's but we booked too late, but this was a nice alternative - very typical 'country house' setting on pretty grounds, and it's nice that it was so close to Edinburgh.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BeachGirlCADCNY
Write a ReviewReviews (1,512)

Reviewed 19 December 2009

The winding drive up to the Hotel is beautiful, the building is stunning aswell!
We stayed in an executive suite and it was beautiful. We had a tv in the bathroom which my partner who prefers showers could not resist the tempation of! Heated flooring, seperate shower and bath.
We had a massive bedroom and flat screen tv and a balcony however in December its just a bit too cold to enjoy.
We were there for a works party and the food and entertainment was fantastic!
I cannot say enough great things about this hotel, i have recommended it to all my friends!
I stay over in Edinburgh quite a lot and i never knew this hotel existed.
Would recommend to everyone plus its a fantastic place if you are looking for a romantic get away.
Ive dropped enough hints so fingers crossed my partner books up again!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 December 2009

This hotel advertised itself as a quiet luxury hotel set away from the noise and bustle of the city, and convenient to the airport. This was just what we needed - we had travelled quite a distance to get there, and would be flying for most of the next day, so we really needed a good night's sleep.
We went to bed early, but were woken by a persistent thumping sound (interrupted occasionally by voices) that just would not stop. I tried, unsuccessfully, to sleep with a pillow over my head. Eventually, at around midnight, I dressed, and on my way to the front desk passed a hall where a party was in full swing, with noise at inexcusable volume (and it wasn't as if we were next-door to the hall!). The night manager promised to resolve the matter immediately; despite such promise, the noise continued unabated until at least 1 a.m. (or maybe I just fell asleep, exhausted, around then). Not surprisingly, we arose the next morning with thumping headaches.
I told the manager that I would be filing a negative feedback review. He offered me a refund of half the amount we paid for our 'accomodation' if I would refrain from providing a negative report. Although it would be nice to have some money returned to partially compensate for our nightmare, my integrity would not allow me to be 'bought off'' - I owed it to other travellers looking for a quiet place to sleep to warn them.
All that being said, the (early evening) front desk staff and (early evening) manager, and the restaurant staff, were fabulous. Unfortunately, they are not the people who make decisions about the noise level.
This hotel must decide its identity - is its objective to provide what travellers need (quiet, clean accomodation and good meals), or to act as a reception hall with accomodation for those who attend such receptions/parties and will sleep at the end of the reception? If one objective iconflicts with the other, the true objective can be seen in how the hotel managers respond.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank traveloverToronto
Reviewed 6 December 2009

This hotel can only be described as perfect. We have stayed here a few times before but this time decided to live it up it in the kingdom penthouse suite. The suite was absolutely outstanding, it was beautiful.....it consisted of a lounge, dining room, dressing area, an absolutely huge bedroom & a stunning bathroom with a beautiful roll top bath big enough for two. All this was topped off with a fantastic full length balcony.....perfect.

Our friends stayed in one of the new executive rooms which was as equally luxurious. We did not visit the spa but our friends did & came back absolutely delighted at the treatments & also the way they were treated by the staff. We had dinner in the brasserie which had a great menu with plenty of choice....the food was delicious & the wine was fantastic with a great selection to choose from. We had breakfast in bed which was delicious & a real treat. If your ever looking for somewhere to go to relax or for a special occasion, take my advice & head to the Norton House......you wont be dissapointed!!!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 December 2009

Norton House was the perfect pick for a two day trip to Edinburgh. The quiet and beautiful surroundings gave us a different feeling from being in the city centre all day. The 48 bus picked us up and dropped us off right at the hotel walkway. Otherwise, a cab ride from Waverly station cost us 20 quid. The staff were incredibly helpful and friendly. The breakfast that was included in our deal was delicious. The 24 hour room service and dvd collection definitely came in handy as well. I highly recommend this place! I want to visit other Hand Picked Hotels now!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 November 2009

This is a lovely old building with a modern hotel. Have stayed here several times and always been excellent. Staff are very friendly and helpful and the service is impeccable. The spa is fantastic!
Have stayed in standard rooms which are great as well as junior suite. The suite is nice but a little odd - it is plit level with huge bed downstairs and a sitting area on a balcony level upstairs. Thought it would have been nicer with bed upstairs.
Only problem can be getting a taxi from the airport – it is only 5 minutes and have been moaned at it is not worth their time to go such a short distance!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 November 2009

A friend recommended this hotel when I mentioned I was looking for somewhere for a relaxing and romantic stay with my wife. I was looking for somewhere that had a modern part as well as traditional, that also did good food and had a pool/spa. This place fitted the bill exactly. We paid abit more to get the executive room which was a good size, had a balcony and even had a TV in the bathroom. Although there were 2 weddings and a party on, the place wasn't too busy. The pool was quiet and relaxing and I would certainly recommend use of the spa....staff really friendly. If you are looking for a relaxing break it would be hard to beat this place.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple