“Good place to kick back”

Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh
Ranked #42 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
scotland
“Good place to kick back”
Reviewed 12 January 2010

We decided to have an overnight stay and we made a good choice with this hotel.

We stayed in an Exec room and was worth paying a little bit more.

Could not fault anything and spa very good.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2010

This is a nice hotel but I keep coming away feeling they could do better. Stayed here once before and it was pretty good although the food was disappointing. Came back to try the new spa and get some relaxation. Our arrival was lukewarm, it was 2pm and the room wasn't ready so we went to the spa. At check in we didn't get any info re breakfast , facilites etc - just as well we had stayed here before.
Spa is nice, good big pool, sauna and steam room are nice although small, hydro pool is excellent but wish it had been warmer. Changing rooms are nice but really small - I had to stand in a corner to get ready and it wasn't busy.
Rooms in the hotel are well equipped and have lovely beds, great big plasma tv in the room, fridge and tea/coffee faciliities. In our room there was no robes or slippers as there should have been - only after I complained twice did they manage to find us robes but no slippers. They blamed the weather but it seemed a bit shoddy and I felt they could have tried harder.
For me the big let down in this hotel is the food. We ate in the Brasserie, the menu is peculiar, theres a good choice of main course but starters and desserts are weird. They are made up of things that are not everyone's choice. There was nothing ordinary on the starters that I would have ate and the desserts are even worse - full of things you were made to eat when young like prunes! What happened to chocolate fudge cake, profiteroles, cheeesecakes and ice creams, desserts are supposed to be a treat but they're not here. I had the burger, husband had the steak and they were both just ok. There are 2 steaks on the menu but no mention of weight/size for either of them.
Breakfast was pretty good but you have to order certain things from a waiter and no-one told us this. I got one cup of coffee and our cold toast had to be sent back. I did get another coffee but had to ask for it.
Staff in the bar and restaurant are excellent and do look after you.
This is not the cheapest place to stay, (drinks are pricey) not the best spa and it's not in the centre of Edinburgh so it's not my first choice and I'm not sure I would stay here again.

3 Thank DoraDementia
Kent
Reviewed 6 January 2010

We stayed for 2 nights on the New Year's package. Our stay was enjoyable from start to finish. The New Year's Eve gala was fantastic. We had great fun attempting our first ceilidh and were made to feel very welcome.Tthe food was excellent, but the piper appearing at midnight was the highlight of the evening.
The staff were very obliging, none more so then when they kindly allowed us to have our room until early evening, as our flight wasn't until 9pm.

A great time had by all.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
New York, NY
Reviewed 6 January 2010

We stayed at Norton House over New Year's. They had a set program for the celebration - 2 nights. The staff was very friendly and courteous. Everything was organized well for the celebration (afternoon tea, breakfast, new year dinner dance was included) and the food was excellent considering they served nearly 100 guests at the same time in the ballroom. We only had a chance to eat at the brasserie because the other formal restaurant was closed but the food was outstanding and the service was prompt. Staff in the restaurant are not knowledgeable about whiskys though.
The rooms were very nice, clean, and updated (we stayed at the Hilton Caledonian in Edinburgh - this is comparable). The heated floors in the bathroom are nice. We were in the super new part - and there really arent that many rooms but it's so spacious it feels like there are more rooms. Internet was REALLY expensive. Room service for breakfast is nice, they'll deliver to your room with no extra service charge and no inflated prices, so you could have breakfast in your room.
Spa wasnt open at that time unfortunately but it looked super nice.
We wanted to stay at a castle over new year's but we booked too late, but this was a nice alternative - very typical 'country house' setting on pretty grounds, and it's nice that it was so close to Edinburgh.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BeachGirlCADCNY
Scotland
Reviewed 19 December 2009

The winding drive up to the Hotel is beautiful, the building is stunning aswell!
We stayed in an executive suite and it was beautiful. We had a tv in the bathroom which my partner who prefers showers could not resist the tempation of! Heated flooring, seperate shower and bath.
We had a massive bedroom and flat screen tv and a balcony however in December its just a bit too cold to enjoy.
We were there for a works party and the food and entertainment was fantastic!
I cannot say enough great things about this hotel, i have recommended it to all my friends!
I stay over in Edinburgh quite a lot and i never knew this hotel existed.
Would recommend to everyone plus its a fantastic place if you are looking for a romantic get away.
Ive dropped enough hints so fingers crossed my partner books up again!

toronto
Reviewed 7 December 2009

This hotel advertised itself as a quiet luxury hotel set away from the noise and bustle of the city, and convenient to the airport. This was just what we needed - we had travelled quite a distance to get there, and would be flying for most of the next day, so we really needed a good night's sleep.
We went to bed early, but were woken by a persistent thumping sound (interrupted occasionally by voices) that just would not stop. I tried, unsuccessfully, to sleep with a pillow over my head. Eventually, at around midnight, I dressed, and on my way to the front desk passed a hall where a party was in full swing, with noise at inexcusable volume (and it wasn't as if we were next-door to the hall!). The night manager promised to resolve the matter immediately; despite such promise, the noise continued unabated until at least 1 a.m. (or maybe I just fell asleep, exhausted, around then). Not surprisingly, we arose the next morning with thumping headaches.
I told the manager that I would be filing a negative feedback review. He offered me a refund of half the amount we paid for our 'accomodation' if I would refrain from providing a negative report. Although it would be nice to have some money returned to partially compensate for our nightmare, my integrity would not allow me to be 'bought off'' - I owed it to other travellers looking for a quiet place to sleep to warn them.
All that being said, the (early evening) front desk staff and (early evening) manager, and the restaurant staff, were fabulous. Unfortunately, they are not the people who make decisions about the noise level.
This hotel must decide its identity - is its objective to provide what travellers need (quiet, clean accomodation and good meals), or to act as a reception hall with accomodation for those who attend such receptions/parties and will sleep at the end of the reception? If one objective iconflicts with the other, the true objective can be seen in how the hotel managers respond.

5 Thank traveloverToronto
west lothian
Reviewed 6 December 2009

This hotel can only be described as perfect. We have stayed here a few times before but this time decided to live it up it in the kingdom penthouse suite. The suite was absolutely outstanding, it was beautiful.....it consisted of a lounge, dining room, dressing area, an absolutely huge bedroom & a stunning bathroom with a beautiful roll top bath big enough for two. All this was topped off with a fantastic full length balcony.....perfect.

Our friends stayed in one of the new executive rooms which was as equally luxurious. We did not visit the spa but our friends did & came back absolutely delighted at the treatments & also the way they were treated by the staff. We had dinner in the brasserie which had a great menu with plenty of choice....the food was delicious & the wine was fantastic with a great selection to choose from. We had breakfast in bed which was delicious & a real treat. If your ever looking for somewhere to go to relax or for a special occasion, take my advice & head to the Norton House......you wont be dissapointed!!!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends