“Nice Hotel but disappointing service”

Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh
Ranked #40 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 6 March 2010

We stayed here for my birthday and received a free upgrade to a lovely, spacious room which we liked. Wonderful treatment at the Spa and great service there. The place that lets this hotel down is its dining room staff. We didn't really receive any service and had to try and catch the waiting staff's eye - we ended up getting the wrong food, no conversation from the staff at all, in the end after waiting half an hour for our coffee and petit fours, we just left - very disappointing. The same thing happened at breakfast - we were in the dining room by 9.15am and were the only ones there - the same thing happened - no service - after waiting for ages, we eventually had our order taken. Nobody offered us more tea, toast, cleared our plates - NOTHING - Upon check-out, I explained to the receptionist about the disappointing service but all she replied was "Did you fill out a guest survey" ? I was surprised and wanted to reassure her that I wasn't looking for money back, only to give her an honest report of how the hotel had been for us. If Norton House was my Hotel, I would certainly welcome feedback good and bad alike and respond accordingly.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank arem
Write a ReviewReviews (1,497)

Reviewed 19 February 2010

My boyfriend and I decided to book this hotel as we wanted a hotel which was not in the center of Edinburgh and also had leisure facilities.
This hotel lived up to all our expectations. When we arrived we were shown to our room and given a tour around it of how to use everything. The room was in the modern part of the hotel but was immaculate, very spacious and the underfloor heating in the bath room and the 'tilevision' was a great extra. The whole hotel is very clean and so is the spa. The spa was very busy the weekend we were there but were not that bothered as people were very friendly.
We had breakfast and dinner included in our package and the food did not disappoint. The evening meal was a valentines set dinner with a few different choices. The food was amazing so was the service in the restaurant. The only downside to the whole trip was as we were staying 2nights and dinner on both nights in the brasserie, the restaurant had the valentines set dinner on both nights and the menu was the same on each evening. I didn't like this as i only liked one main course and would have preferred a different main on the second night, but this is something i wouldn't complain about, The drinks are also expensive and it does put you off a little.
The staff cannot do enough and this made our stay even better.
I would definitely stay again if i was going to Edinburgh. The hotels best assets are its amazing rooms, attentive staff and stunning grounds!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2010

Visited the Norton House Hotel for my daughter's 21st in early February. The hotel is beautiful, the Ushers Restaurant small and intimate and the food excellent. The spa was blissful - could have stayed in the relaxing room for hours! Really recommend the hotel to couples and older families. No noise from the nearby airport and recommend upgrading to the executive rooms, although contemporary in style rather than period, the TV at the end of the bath was a hoot and the beds new and comfortable.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 January 2010

First time travelling alone and I was slightly nervous! Need not have worried the hotel staff, particularly the spa staff made me feel really relaxed and welcome. The manageress Ivanna was lovely and could not have been more helpful. The spa is wonderful - nicely decorated, very clean all very new and very very relaxing! The relaxation room after a treatment was something I had never had at a spa in the past and it was amazing, soothing music, low lights, comfy bed, blanket and pillow - wow! I had three treatments, the full body hot stone massage, a facial and a manicure - it was a special treat but well worth every penny. I would not hesitate to return to the spa in the future either on my own or with friends. The pool was very nice and I also had a nice walk in the grounds. Again dining alone in the restaurant in the evening was a first, but the staff were lovely and I actually enjoyed it, food lovely too. I had upgraded to an executive room and it was very nice - telly in the bath which was an odd extra. Will be back.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank dlb999
Reviewed 12 January 2010

We decided to have an overnight stay and we made a good choice with this hotel.

We stayed in an Exec room and was worth paying a little bit more.

Could not fault anything and spa very good.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2010

This is a nice hotel but I keep coming away feeling they could do better. Stayed here once before and it was pretty good although the food was disappointing. Came back to try the new spa and get some relaxation. Our arrival was lukewarm, it was 2pm and the room wasn't ready so we went to the spa. At check in we didn't get any info re breakfast , facilites etc - just as well we had stayed here before.
Spa is nice, good big pool, sauna and steam room are nice although small, hydro pool is excellent but wish it had been warmer. Changing rooms are nice but really small - I had to stand in a corner to get ready and it wasn't busy.
Rooms in the hotel are well equipped and have lovely beds, great big plasma tv in the room, fridge and tea/coffee faciliities. In our room there was no robes or slippers as there should have been - only after I complained twice did they manage to find us robes but no slippers. They blamed the weather but it seemed a bit shoddy and I felt they could have tried harder.
For me the big let down in this hotel is the food. We ate in the Brasserie, the menu is peculiar, theres a good choice of main course but starters and desserts are weird. They are made up of things that are not everyone's choice. There was nothing ordinary on the starters that I would have ate and the desserts are even worse - full of things you were made to eat when young like prunes! What happened to chocolate fudge cake, profiteroles, cheeesecakes and ice creams, desserts are supposed to be a treat but they're not here. I had the burger, husband had the steak and they were both just ok. There are 2 steaks on the menu but no mention of weight/size for either of them.
Breakfast was pretty good but you have to order certain things from a waiter and no-one told us this. I got one cup of coffee and our cold toast had to be sent back. I did get another coffee but had to ask for it.
Staff in the bar and restaurant are excellent and do look after you.
This is not the cheapest place to stay, (drinks are pricey) not the best spa and it's not in the centre of Edinburgh so it's not my first choice and I'm not sure I would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DoraDementia
Reviewed 6 January 2010

We stayed for 2 nights on the New Year's package. Our stay was enjoyable from start to finish. The New Year's Eve gala was fantastic. We had great fun attempting our first ceilidh and were made to feel very welcome.Tthe food was excellent, but the piper appearing at midnight was the highlight of the evening.
The staff were very obliging, none more so then when they kindly allowed us to have our room until early evening, as our flight wasn't until 9pm.

A great time had by all.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends