“Lovely hotel in Gorgeous surroundings”

Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh
Ranked #43 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Glasgow
“Lovely hotel in Gorgeous surroundings”
Reviewed 20 May 2010

My partner and myself stayed at the hotel for our first anniversary. It's set in gorgeous secluded gardens and the whole place had a nice peaceful atmosphere. We were staying in an Executive room which was very spacious and I loved the tilevision tv in the bathroom. The room was very clean, bed wasn't 100% comfortable (two single beds put together and u could feel the join in the middle) but I still managed to have a good sleep. There was a wedding going on the same day, but there was no noise at all from that.

The Spa was lovely and relaxing. I had a neck, back and shoulder massage followed by a facial and it was fantastic. The staff within the spa were very friendly and went out their way to make you feel like comfortable and you were allowed to smell the massage oils before they were used on you, to see what one you preferred.

The only bad thing I would say about our stay was that the waiter that showed us to our table in the Brasserie restaurant demanded we order a drink as we sat down and never even gave us time to look at the menu, which resulted in me ordering a drink that I really didn't want. (And at the cost of the alcohol, it was pretty ridiculous). The cost for wine was pretty ridiculous and the measures seem tiny incomparison to the cost (small glass starts at £5 and it is an extremely small glass).

Despite that, we did get breakfast in bed at no extra cost!!! I've never experienced that in another hotel before so for a couple wanting an extra half hour in bed, it was perfect!

Would recommend to other people and should be returning soon!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
Edinburgh
Reviewed 20 April 2010

My husband and I stayed one night at Norton House to celebrate the fact that I had just started maternity leave. We arrived mid-afternoon and were greeted by friendly reception staff and escorted to our room (an executive room in the new build extension). The room was fantastic, complete with balcony although we didn't use this as it was a tad chilly. There was a wedding on in the Garden Suite which is nearby and above the spa but if we hadn't been told that then to be honest I don't think we would have known.
I had a treatment booked in the spa - it was perfect from beginning to end - I was so relaxed by it i nearly fell asleep several times! My husband used the gym and said it was all very good and clean. We then both used the pool area and my husband took advantage of the steam room, sauna, hydro pool and said all were great. The spa really does have that tranquil atmosphere that it should.
We had dinner in the brasserie, it was absolutely delicious food and I can't praise the staff highly enough for the service. The brasserie is also where you have breakfast and again, we couldn't fault the service. The breakfast itself was also delicious.
The only slight disappointment was that the bed was slightly too soft but then I do like a very firm mattress.
We can't wait to find another excuse to stay here!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2010

We stayed in the Norton House because of a friend's wedding (it is a lovely wedding venue). While the hotel's location is very convenient for an event like this due to the airport's proximity, it isn't a good base for sightseeing etc. However, if relaxation and spa is what you're after, they do offer a wonderful relaxing spa and swimming pool. The whole place is stylish but cozy, beautifully decorated, with several charming touches. Service was professional and friendly and the breakfast delicious.

Tip: you can use the spa and pool after check out. Made-to-order smoked haddock omelette for breakfast is a must! ;) Request a room in the original 19th century part of the building.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Midlands, UK
Reviewed 31 March 2010

I visited this hotel for two nights with my girlfriend and was quite surprised at the welcome and consistency considering the good reviews.

First the good points. The hotel is close to Edinburgh but outside of the city, so you might need a car or be using taxis to get there. That said, it's nice to be away from the centre. The spa was lovely - the pool, jacuzzi, steam and sauna were great! Well worth using if you're there... The bed was lovely and large and the rooms very clean. The huge TV in the room was great! The cleaning staff were very friendly.

Now the not so good. This hotel has an air about it from the website which suggests you will have a great time, and that's therefore what you're expecting, but the welcome there is so cold and offhand - to the point of making us both feel uncomfortable to be honest - that it just ruins the stay.

The other serious problem is the attention to detail in the restaurant:
* The first night was great - we had an amazing chicken dish and had high hopes for the rest of the stay.
* The next morning at breakfast the problems started. I didn't receive my apple juice and had to ask again. I found something which looked like a hairball in my mushrooms. I was told it was from the mushrooms (what is it doing there anyway???) but my next breakfast was brought without cutlery, so I had to get my own. We struggled to get waiters attention all the time. There were other little issues.
* The evening meal was... uninspiring. My beef dish was just about OK, but my girlfriends canelloni was a joke. It was supposed to be with spinich and aubergine - both of which were missing. The aubergine was (we think) replaced by corgette. So, she had a pasta roll with tomato and a bit of cheese, some corgette and some salad. Very poor for £9.50! We did complain but they just said "it should be in the canelloni". My desert was OK, but again hers was terrible - the spotted dick was tasteless sponge with a few currants and weak custard. We left very unhappy.
* Next morning we ordered breakfast to the room, and they didn't include the pastries.

There were a few other minor points where they just don't seem to care about the attention to detail.

All in all, a very poor stay at a hotel which we had high hopes for. I'm not a moaner - everyone gets something wrong sometime - but there were too many mistakes here. We didn't let it ruin our trip, but just be aware that it's not the fantastic place that it would seem from here.

Final point: a warm, friendly welcome would have gone a long way to allowing me to forgive the problems.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mister_phillie
Aberdeen
Reviewed 16 March 2010

My husband treated me to a long weekend here for my 40th birthday - and what a great weekend it was.
When we arrived we were pleased to find that there is ample car parking, so there were no problems on that score. The staff were extremely welcoming and friendly when we checked in and were happy to answer all our questions. We were escorted to our bedroom by a member of staff who carried my luggage for me, and when we arrived there, were pleasantly surprised to find it was a very good size, beautifully and tastefully decorated with an enormous bed! There was room for a small table and chairs, wardrobes and chests of drawers and a huge flat screen television perfectly situated at the end of the bed. The bathroom was an adequate size, spotlessly clean and stocked with plenty of fluffy white towels and bathrobes.
We then made our way to the spa where we swam, had a sauna, steam room and jacuzzi. This is in a separate building about 3 minutes walk from the main hotel. It is beautifully kept and the facilities are excellent. We didn't use the gym, so I can't comment on that, but the staff at the spa centre were pleasant and helpful (providing us with tokens when we forgot to take £1 coins with us for the lockers). The changing rooms were clean and well-equipped with everything you might need.
Breakfast in the hotel is fantastic - there is a great selection of everything - juices, cereals, pastries, etc. plus a comprehensive menu of cooked breakfasts. The breakfast staff were extremely attentive and pleasant, bending over backwards to help you with any special requests.
Having read some reviews on this site saying that the noise levels in the hotel were high, I was slightly concerned when I realised that a wedding dance was taking place there on the Saturday night. However, we were back in our room at about 11.00 p.m. and all we could hear was the sound of silence. We could hear no noise at all either from inside or outside the hotel (certainly we didn't hear any airport noise) and enjoyed three nights of luxurious and blissful sleep.
During the day and again in the evening we travelled into Edinburgh by bus as we felt it would be too much hassle to take the car. Hotel staff directed us out of the back entrance of the hotel and told us to wait on the other side of the road, and flag down the bus! This we did with no problems at all - the bus journey takes roughly 30 mins and was very cheap. There is also a nearby Park & Ride into Edinburgh which we didn't use but which we saw from the bus and which some people may find useful.
On our last night we ate dinner in the hotel. It was reasonably expensive (£32.50 per head) but the service was excellent and the food exquisite. We had spent most of that day lounging on the comfy sofas reading the newspapers, but someone was always at hand to bring us pots of tea, snacks etc.
I have stayed in quite a lot of hotels over the years, many of which have been excellent, but I think this is probably the best in terms of service, cleanliness and facilities. Probably the only thing I could score it down on is location as it is slightly tricky to enter if you are coming from the Forth Road Bridge - you pass it on the other side of the dual carriageway and need to keep going to the next roundabout (about 2 miles) before you can turn and get back to it. This is minor though and had no impact on our enjoyment of the experience. Also, it's not cheap - but perfect for a special treat.
To sum up I thought Norton House Hotel was a beautiful, relaxing place with a fantastic spa and restaurant facilities. The staff are polite, friendly and attentive and really make an effort to make your stay enjoyable. I wouldn't hesitate to wholeheartedly recomment this hotel.

inverness-shire
Reviewed 6 March 2010

We stayed here for my birthday and received a free upgrade to a lovely, spacious room which we liked. Wonderful treatment at the Spa and great service there. The place that lets this hotel down is its dining room staff. We didn't really receive any service and had to try and catch the waiting staff's eye - we ended up getting the wrong food, no conversation from the staff at all, in the end after waiting half an hour for our coffee and petit fours, we just left - very disappointing. The same thing happened at breakfast - we were in the dining room by 9.15am and were the only ones there - the same thing happened - no service - after waiting for ages, we eventually had our order taken. Nobody offered us more tea, toast, cleared our plates - NOTHING - Upon check-out, I explained to the receptionist about the disappointing service but all she replied was "Did you fill out a guest survey" ? I was surprised and wanted to reassure her that I wasn't looking for money back, only to give her an honest report of how the hotel had been for us. If Norton House was my Hotel, I would certainly welcome feedback good and bad alike and respond accordingly.

1 Thank arem
newcastle
Reviewed 19 February 2010

My boyfriend and I decided to book this hotel as we wanted a hotel which was not in the center of Edinburgh and also had leisure facilities.
This hotel lived up to all our expectations. When we arrived we were shown to our room and given a tour around it of how to use everything. The room was in the modern part of the hotel but was immaculate, very spacious and the underfloor heating in the bath room and the 'tilevision' was a great extra. The whole hotel is very clean and so is the spa. The spa was very busy the weekend we were there but were not that bothered as people were very friendly.
We had breakfast and dinner included in our package and the food did not disappoint. The evening meal was a valentines set dinner with a few different choices. The food was amazing so was the service in the restaurant. The only downside to the whole trip was as we were staying 2nights and dinner on both nights in the brasserie, the restaurant had the valentines set dinner on both nights and the menu was the same on each evening. I didn't like this as i only liked one main course and would have preferred a different main on the second night, but this is something i wouldn't complain about, The drinks are also expensive and it does put you off a little.
The staff cannot do enough and this made our stay even better.
I would definitely stay again if i was going to Edinburgh. The hotels best assets are its amazing rooms, attentive staff and stunning grounds!