“Worst hotel experience ever!”

Best Western Edinburgh South Braid Hills Hotel
Ranked #59 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Worst hotel experience ever!”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

As a Business Analyst I travel a lot and I have seem my fair share of hotels. And I have to say this was the worst hotel I have ever been to. First the reception staff had no idea what there were doing and they messed up my reservation even though I have confirmed the reservation TWICE! The rooms are not very nice, the bathrooms are even worse. I could not even get a good night sleep as I was on the third floor and as it was windy the roof was making horrible noises. Also Third floor and no elevator...that says it all. Not that I am lazy to walk up the stairs, but seeing the older ladies struggle did not seem right. The restaurant is below average and probably serves microwave meals as they were tasteless. The breakfast offers all the unhealthy stuff, but for someone who is trying to be good they have toast or canned fruit only. So overall terrible experience, and please be ware before you book, this is not a nice hotel at all.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank UnhappyGuest2307
Braidhills, General Manager at Best Western Edinburgh South Braid Hills Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear UnhappyGuest123
I am really sorry to hear how disappointed you were about your stay with us, we have been trying to get in contact with you over this matter and hope you will respond.
I am sorry I didn't meet with you in person while you were here. We have never experienced a negative review of this kind and I am so sorry that you feel we are pretentious and lacking customer care. It is disappointing to hear this, as it is first time anyone has ever said that about our service. We' always have great pride in ourselves and customers comment on how friendly everyone is here at the hotel, we also offer a porter service to everyone of our guest that stay with us.
The food is made fresh on the premises and locally sourced, we do also offer fresh fruit as well as grilled kippers and poached finnan haddock along with many other products for breakfast.
We are also constantly improving all our areas, to give all our guest with a Quality, pleasant and relaxing experience.

If you wish to discuss this further please do not hesitate to give me a call anytime.

Kind regards
Greg
Greg.Skelton@braidhillshotel.co.uk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Turkish first
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Restful luxury after a busy day shopping. Beautiful hotel, great food and very welcoming staff. The reception staff were excellent, and had time for a conversation with all guests. the breakfasts catered for all tastes, and the evening menu had lots to choose from.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Braidhills, Manager at Best Western Edinburgh South Braid Hills Hotel, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am thrilled to hear that overall you had a lovely experience at the Braid Hills Hotel and delighted that we provided you with some 'restful luxury' after your busy days shopping.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Best Western Braid Hills Hotel in the not too distant future.
Stonehaven, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Stayed overnight for a Scotland v England rugby match. Hotel has character rather than the blandness of the chain hotels. Staff were all accommodating. We were allowed entry to our room hours before the normal checkin. Rooms well well equipped with hair dryer, tea & coffee facilities, trouser press etc. couldn't fault it. Good breakfast buffet provided and lovely lounge bar and reception to unwind in after a long day out. Will certainly stay again on future trips to Edinburgh.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Many thanks for your feedback regarding your recent stay.

We work to maintain an element of the hotels traditional character and personality. It is great to hear that you appreciated this aspect of your stay and that you found our staff to be accommodating.

Please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly when you are planning any future trips to Edinburgh and one of our team will be happy to assist you. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Best Western Braid Hills Hotel.
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Fabulous first stay in a Best Western. A friendly receptionist greeted us, this was the case for all the staff, who were all polite and couldn't do enough for you. We had a lovely room with great views over the city and the Firth of Forth. Facilities were excellent, the room and en suite were a great size. We hopped on a bus right outside the hotel, very easy trip into the centre of Edinburgh. We stayed 2 nights, breakfast was excellent and we ate in the Allemuir restaurant one evening, highly recommended! We will certainly be returning to this particular hotel and trying out other Best Westerns!

Room Tip: We had a room at front of hotel with a great view over city.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay with us.

I am thrilled to hear that you had a fabulous stay with us and proud to hear that our team 'couldn't do enough' for you, we consider our staff to be an asset to the hotel and I will be sure to pass on your comments.

As a first time Best Western guest it is particularly encouraging to read that you intend on returning to the Braid Hills Hotel and trying out other Best Westerns based on your stay with us.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Best Western Braid Hills Hotel in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly next time you are planning a trip to Edinburgh and one of our team will be more than happy to assist you with you reservation.
Ingbrirchworth, UK
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Booked this hotel as I ilke Best Western, plus the price was within the budget. Even in the dark, from the ouside it looks very Grand, once inside it looked and felt very Grand. The receptionist was very nice, taking my details, and putting me a larger room than one that had already been allocated to me.
I found the room with ease, going up a flight of stairs. Walking through the corridor was a pleasure, lookking at all the painings of various Scotish gentry.
The room was large, having a double + single bed, two easy chairs in the bay window, plus a large flat sceen TV on the wall. Pleanty of room to ove about, suit a small family if visiting Edinburgh.
I went for a walk to get some fresh air, on returning, I went into the bar, to get a coffee & brandy, again I could not fault the staff, very friendly & polite, I sat in the bar area, relaxing, could have stopped longer:)
Went back up to the room, had a long soak in the bath, wathced TV, then a good night sleep.
In the morning checked out, once again the staff were friendly and polite.
I would certainly recomend this hotel if and when visiting Edinburgh or just passing through..

Room Tip: Not sure about the other bedrooms, mine was on the side of the building, with a road under neath it...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you would be happy to recommend our hotel.

Thank you also for your comments regarding our staff, we pride ourselves on providing our guests with a warm, friendly service and it is always great to hear that this is appreciated.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back next time you are visiting Edinburgh.
Glasgow
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Nicely warm hotel - especially the welcome at reception.General impression of interiors is rather dated, but well maintained.Dining room service friendly and mostly efficient, but a little stretched at times.Overall a good experience and fair value for a 'mid class' hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms 224/226 etc. facing over main road have a nice outlook.Traffic noise not an issue.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank john.semple2_123
Braidhills, Manager at Best Western Edinburgh South Braid Hills Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
I am glad that you received a warm welcome from our staff during your recent stay with us.

We are undergoing an extensive refurbishment programme to bring the hotel up to date, this is an currently on going and we are looking forward to the completion of the works. I hope to welcome you back to the Best Western Braid Hills Hotel in the future.