“Great hotel with great staff!!”

Best Western Edinburgh South Braid Hills Hotel
Ranked #57 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Stayed here with a friend as part of a rail/hotel short break. Hotel is a beautiful old building with loads of character. Yes it may need a bit of a spruce up but the quirkiness was part of the charm. We stayed in room 108 - beautiful bay window with armchairs to sit and admire the view, big room with nice bathroom. Easy access into town on the local bus service which was good value. Staff were all unbelievably helpful, friendly and informative - well done whoever is in charge of staff training. We ate in the bistro next door on the first night - food was lovely, just a shame that there weren't more people although it was a Monday evening. If I come back to Edinburgh I'll be staying in this hotel again and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others.

Room Tip: no lifts so if you have mobility problems ask for room on the ground floor. booked twin room got Ro...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Braidhills, Manager at Best Western Edinburgh South Braid Hills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

It is great to hear that you were impressed with the service you received from our staff, I will be sure to pass on your comments to our team.

I am trilled that you wouldn't hesitate to recommend our Hotel to others and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Duty Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,144)

Reviewed 11 April 2014

After having our Tyre smashed to pieces on the badly pot holed roads of Edinburgh and £181 later of being ripped off at Kwik fit for 1 tyre! we found a friendly place of calm and respite.
reception staff were lovely and the restaurant food and staff were excellent. the prices were reasonable and the surroundings very pleasant.
our room was clean and comfy and we would be happy to go back again
Many thanks

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Braidhills, Manager at Best Western Edinburgh South Braid Hills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Thank you for your comments.

I am glad to hear that we provided you with a place of calm and respite after what sounds like a rather stressful journey through Edinburgh.

I will be sure to pass on your feedback to the relevant departments and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Loved the character of this building and the views were great. Yes, the room decor is dated but everything was very clean and the bathroom was huge - much bigger than you would get in a characterless chain. Ate in the Bistro next door and received very good service. Parked on the road nearby when the car park was full - not a problem. Loved the fact that the bus into Edinburgh was so regular.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your feedback.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated the character of our hotel.

I will be sure to pass on your comment to my colleagues over at the Buckstone Pub and Kitchen.

We look forward to welcoming you and your friends back to the Best Western Braid Hills Hotel next time you are in Edinburgh.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

I stayed in this hotel on a weekend break with my partner. The hotel itself is fairly average. I had expected better for the price, especially for the "deluxe" room we paid for (308). There seems to be some kind of refurbishment taking place as there is an odd mix of styles: from shoddy flowery decor in the bedrooms to fancy lighting and dark wood in the lounge bar. We liked the location and found it an easy bus ride from the city centre, even though we hardly know Edinburgh at all. The bus is £1.50 per person.

The breakfast room has lovely views of the hills. The food was fairly average. It's a shame they don't use better quality ingredients. At least it is self service so you can help yourself to what ever you want. We had to laugh when a mouse ran out across the floor! I couldn't help feeling sorry for the young gentleman working (James I think). He handled the situation brilliantly and offered to move us to a different part of the dining room, even though he was clearly extremely busy.

We would stay in the hotel next time we visit Edinburgh, especially because of the wonderful staff. Everyone we met couldn't have been more helpful and it is nice to have such a warm personal welcome - you would never get that in some big hotel chain.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent stay with us.

As you correctly noted we are in the process of undergoing a major refurbishment, unfortunately this does mean that we are in somewhat of a transitional period at the moment with some areas yet to be completed.

While I am pleased to hear that you were impressed with the service you received from our staff it is disconcerting to hear of your experience in our Restaurant. Please be assured that we were made aware of this by our restaurant staff at the time and have taken steps to resolve the situation.

Thank you once again for your feedback, it is encouraging to hear that our staff would be the main factor in your decision to return to the Best Western Braid Hills Hotel and I will be sure to pass your comments on to our team.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Couldn't fault this place except the lack of parking! The streets around the hotel were full and after waiting for 10 minutes only one space became empty. That is all I could complain about...and its not really a complaint, the room was more than adequate, clean and cosy. We ate in the restaurant on the evening and couldn't find any fault with the very filling Haggis, Neeps and Tatties!
Breakfast was excellent, and the waitress we had on both occasions was very polite and accommodating. Would I stay again...absolutely yes!

Room Tip: we stayed in room 310 and had a great view over the city looking North West(ish)
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us.

I am sorry to hear that you found parking to be in short supply, in the event that our car park is full it is rare that parking cannot be found in the surrounding area. This is of course dependant on what is happening in the area and if we have any large functions on at the Hotel.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience in our Restaurant and will be sure to pass on your feedback to our restaurant and kitchen teams.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Best Western Braid Hills Hotel next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Reviewed 7 April 2014

I had a wonderful stay at this hotel. My only complaint about the braid hills would be that the room we were given was quite dated. This however was reflected in the price of only £120 for Friday and Saturday night for two people, with a dinner and breakfast included on the Friday. For a room that was priced at the same
As a travelodge room, I found this excellent value for money. And I couldn't fault the food, everything we were served was to a high quality, with great service and wine available too. We would loved to have eaten there, even if it wasn't included.

The lobby of the hotel appears to recently have been renovated, it has a Scottish theme with a classy and upmarket feel. This also applies to the bar, where we spent an enjoyable evening. Additionally, service was always given with a smile, I especially found the maid friendly and helpful.

The hotel is a little out of the centre of town, but situated right beside the quirky and quaint area of morningside, where there are plentiful shops, restaurants and pubs. For going into the centre of edniburgh the bus service is great, we waitied for no longer than 5 minutes for a bus, right outside of the hotel.

I would recommend this hotel to couples, families, or people travelling on business. The food is excellent and the prices are fantastic, especially for edniburgh. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am thrilled to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us.

As you correctly note our public areas have recently been renovated and I am pleased to hear that this is to your liking.
The refurbishment of our bedrooms is currently on going and we are working on continuing the theme of our public areas throughout the hotel.

I look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to the Best Western Braid Hills Hotel in the future.