“Good be better”

Ranked #50 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Zaandijk, The Netherlands
“Good be better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel is a bit old or looks a bit old and can use a redecoration. The room and bathroom we stayed in was spacious enough for the both of us. The beds were a bit short and to soft for us.
Staff was nice and very helpful, WiFi is available in the rooms but for the best signal just sit in the lobby.

During our two nights we ate in both restaurant and if you don't want to travel to the town center these are a great place to eat.

Hotel is situated next to a bus stop, 10-15 minutes from the city center (1,50 for one-way, 3,50 for a day ticket), walking is also an option this took us (with a coffeestop) around 75 minutes.

We definitely didn't had a bad experience at the best western but it could have been better.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Braidhills, Manager at BEST WESTERN Edinburgh South Braid Hills Hotel, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am glad to hear that you were pleased with the service that you received from our staff and that you enjoyed your visit to our restaurants.

As you may have noticed during your stay we are currently undergoing an on going refurbishment programme to update our rooms and public areas.

Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Best Western Braid Hills Hotel in the future.

Duty Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Turkish first
Lincoln, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

We have just returned from a weekend break to celebrate our 30th Wedding Anniversary. The deluxe room(318) we had reserved was a good size with lovely views over the park. However, the bathroom left a lot to be desired. The reply from the manager to Stuart T about deluxe rooms having larger bathrooms is misleading to say the least as our bathroom can only be described as "tiny". When you opened the door it reached the sink, you then had to walk in and move to the right to close the door. I can only describe it as being a "reverse t shape" with very limited room.
With regards to the WiFi, it did not work at anytime during our stay and when reported to the receptionist she did say the router outside our room required resetting, but appears not to have been done.
Overall the stay was pleasant, but it does need updating very quickly!

Room Tip: ask for one with a large bathroom
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank blklincoln
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am glad to hear that you were pleased with your room, however, I am sorry that you found the bathroom to have limited space.

My records indicate that the router for room 318 has been recently reset, I am sorry if this did not solve your problem with the Wifi, the issue has now been reported to our provider for further investigation.

We are currently undergoing an on going refurbishment programme to update our public areas and rooms, please be assured that any feedback received regarding the rooms is taken into consideration in relation to the scheduling of the works.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Best Western Braid Hills Hotel in the future.

Should you wish to discuss any of the matters raised please contact me directly on heather.unwin@braidhillshotel.co.uk

Durham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

I stayed at the Braid Hills this week paying £110 B&B for one night. I paid extra for a Deluxe room, but the room was stuffy, dirty, cramped, built into the roof, and the decor was 1980's florals with added dated features. The bathroom was small and dated. No way could it be described as Deluxe. When I complained to the hotel staff they didn't want to know. When I complained to Best Western they called the hotel and were told the room was Deluxe because of the view - which I accept was splendid !!! Make sure you get a refurbished room.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

1 Thank Stuart T
Braidhills, Manager at BEST WESTERN Edinburgh South Braid Hills Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

I am sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with the room you were assigned.
Our Deluxe Rooms are considerably larger than our Classic Rooms and have a larger bathroom. They also benefit from views over Edinburgh. I am particularly concerned to hear that you felt our staff were not interested when you raised your concerns.

I am disappointed to hear that you found the cleanliness of your room to be a problem. Our housekeeping team have a strict procedure in place to ensure that all rooms are cleaned up to standard, the rooms are then checked by our Housekeeping Manager prior to check in. I have passed on your comments to our Housekeeping Manager for further investigation.

We are currently in the process of a major refurbishment programme to update all public areas and guest bedrooms, however, as I am sure you can appreciate this is an ongoing project.

Thank you once again for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Should you wish to discuss the matter further please do not hesitate to contact me directly on heather.unwin@braidhillshotel.co.uk.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a wedding (which was excellent) but weren't blown away with it as a place to stay.

Our room was badly in need of refurbishment. The bed was supposed to be a double but it was the smallest double I've encountered, when either of us moved during the night we hit the other and as a result didn't sleep well.

The shower was hot and powerful and the bathroom was clean but it needed ripped out as dated is an understatement.

At breakfast there was lots to choose from on the buffet BUT it had all be put out at the start of service and by the time we went for breakfast it was all mildly warm at best. I was further annoyed when I heard a staff member say to someone else the breakfast buffet is there or you can order from the menu. We were not given a menu or told this.

Would I recommend the Braid Hills? Yes for a wedding - that was fantastic but for a stay - probably not. It wasn't bad it just wasn't great.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ScotsLass123
Braidhills, Manager at BEST WESTERN Edinburgh South Braid Hills Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the wedding you attended but disappointed that you were not entirely satisfied with other aspects of your stay.

We are currently in the process of updating our guest bedrooms as part of our on going refurbishment programme. We offer a range of room specifications from our 'Classic Doubles' which have a standard double bed to our 'Deluxe' and 'Premium' Rooms which have larger beds and are more spacious.

Our breakfast buffet is refreshed throughout service in order to ensure that all items served are fresh I am sorry to hear if this was not the case on the morning of your breakfast and will be sure to pass this on to our food and beverage manager, along with your comments regarding the issue relating to the menu for investigation.

I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Best Western Braid Hills Hotel in the future.

Inverness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

I stayed for 4 nights and the room, the meals and staff were all excellent. An older building but that makes it stand out as an individual hotel.
Although not in the centre, the bus service into Princes Street is quick and frequent and bus stops are just beside the hotel.
When you compare the price and what you receive for that price, this must be one of the best value hotels in Edinburgh.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay with us.

I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated all aspects of our Hotel.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Best Western Braid Hills Hotel in the near future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night on a business trip. Also had a meeting room for 2 days. Staff all very friendly and attentive with good service. My room was reasonable although rather small. The bathroom needed a lick of paint and again it was only big enough for one person at a time. I would stay here again. 7/10

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Uktraveller990
Braidhills, Manager at BEST WESTERN Edinburgh South Braid Hills Hotel, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay and meeting with us.

Great customer service is essential to us and it is great to hear that our staff proved to be friendly and attentive.

We have a range of room specifications available to meet the requirements of our guests varying in configuration and size. We are in the process of updating the décor of our rooms and I have noted your comments regarding the bathroom in order to assist with the process of prioritising our work.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Best Western Braid Hills Hotel in the near future.