“This is a hotel that makes the guests feel special and well looked after.”

Best Western Edinburgh South Braid Hills Hotel
Ranked #55 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Darlington, United Kingdom
“This is a hotel that makes the guests feel special and well looked after.”
Reviewed 26 February 2011

This hotel has a very friendly, relaxing atmosphere. Although it is not in central Edinburgh, it is easy to get to the centre from here. The food is excellent and the staff were all incredibly accommodating.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Keith4529

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 21 February 2011

My partner and I stayed at this hotel from 18th-20th the hotel is very old fashioned for my taste and I would say more for the 40s and over. I am 24 and my partner is 30. Never the less the hotel was lovely and clean and the staff cldnt if helped u more. Not to bad a location either. 10 mins in a taxi to georges street. We were DBB the food was beautiful cldnt fault it. Breakfast great and dinner excellent. The only bad thing I would say is tht the view from our room 217 was terrible. We looked on to a garden shed and tht was about it. Room was very small also. Wld go bk if gt the same deal.

• Stayed February 2011
Lisbon
Reviewed 7 February 2011

I have travelled to Edinburgh this weekend and got a very good rate to stay there at this hotel. i booked online and paid in advance. It was very good to do so as I arrived one day later than the scheduled because my flight was cancelled due to the bad weather.
If you go to the hotel from the airport you have two choices: either take a taxi that costs around 22 pounds or catch two buses , one to the city center (catch the city express it is faster) and the 11 or the 15 to the hotel. The latter choice is longer but is way cheaper.
it is a nice hotel, a good bargain fo the price we paid, I mean do not expect anything grand here. It is clean and the staff is efficient and helpful. some of the things are in need of renovation and the bathroom is very small but overall it is a good place to stay.
Also the breakfast quality was a good surprise as you have a nice selection of hot plates along with the option of continental breakfast.
If you liked the review and go there please say hello to Cristina on the reception from Portugal.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Reviewed 5 February 2011

I can't believe these negative reviews. We booked late on 30th Dec for 1 night Hogmanay 31st Dec in a very full Edinburgh. We arrived in the dark and the building was very attractive and welcoming with Christmas tree at entrance. The receptionist was extremely friendly and helpful and advised us that we would be able to see the Hogmanay fireworks from the hotel which was lovely. Our room was warm and comfortable and enjoyed the welcoming tea tray which actually had a tea pot..bliss!..and shortbread.
This hotel was very reasonably priced for Hagmanay and I would recommend it..unless you would prefer to pay over £600 for one night WITHOUT breakfast in the George Hotel!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2011

I stayed at this hotel on a business trip. the hotel has character, which is to say, if you like thick old carpet, slightly musty rooms, and dark green wall paper, this hotel is for you. personally, I like hotels with updated profile. It has to be said, the hotel was clean and the staff were helpful. as an added bonus the free WiFi was fairly quick.

there were several other problems during my stay: the howling wind, which i am told is fairly common in Edinburgh, woke me up several times at night. the windows are not properly double glazed, and therefore, the draft came through frequently. on top of that, the heating in the room was inadequate for the size, which made it quite an uncomfortable night to stay in. Braid Hills is a posh area, away from the city centre, it would take a fairly long walk to get to any place of interest.

Overall, I have neutral view on this hotel, but on balance, probably wont recommend.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Cheshire
Reviewed 12 January 2011

We stayed here on August bank holiday, and had a fantastic time. The hotel was clean and conformtable, the room was on the small size but adequate for a weekend break. We did not eat at the restaurant apart from breakfast, but this was of very good quality and plenty of it. We chose this hotel as it was out of the centre a bit, making it cheaper during the Fringe, but as the bus stop is literally a 2 minute walk, and the buses run at least every 10 minutes until midnight (20minutes bus ride into town) we were really glad we did, as we got the best of both worlds, easy access to town and a lovely quiet hotel.

The staff were really helpful and couldn't do enough for us, and we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2011

Stayed for work reasons. Very reasonable room rate. Rooms ok. Stayed in two different rooms in my time there and both were acceptable and of an average size. Breakfast was good in main hotel restaurant. I ate my evening meals in hotels bistro located next door to hotel. Food and service very good.

I often choose Best Western hotels when on my travels for work due to the free WiFi they offer. This hotel was no exception.

Overall pleasant and enjoyable business stay.

One negative is lack of lift access to any floor levels. This would not be good for people who struggle with stairs.

• Stayed January 2011