“beautiful and romantic”
Review of The Scotsman Hotel

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #84 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 11 August 2011

I had just under an hour to kill whilst waiting for my husband to join me so i sat by the window and ordered a bottle of wine. The staff were excellent; friendly and attentive but not constantly hovering around. I sat undisterbed (apart from being given a bowl of nibbles!) and watched the world go by and browsed the menu which looked super. This place is romantic and classy. Unfortunately we didnt have time to eat here but it would be somewhere i would definately book to have a romantic dinner in next time we visit Edinburgh. Beautiful building. Men, if you want to impress your woman, treat her to dinner here! Lovely.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank splashy95
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2011

Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel.

It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s reviews and to hear that you would love to return for a meal with us is an added bonus. Our staff in the North Bridge Brasserie, have been trained to the highest standard and I am pleased to see that you found their service to be “friendly and attentive.”

The Brasserie used to be the magnificent advertising room when the building still housed the Scotsman newspaper and when it was renovated the designers have, quite rightly, chose to retain all of the marble pillars, the wrought iron balcony and the wonderful décor throughout, which as you say gives the room a real air of “romance and class.”

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Brasserie for that romantic meal and I’m certain our staff will endeavour to deliver the Scotsman experience we are known for.

Thomas Graham

Write a ReviewReviews (2,452)

Reviewed 8 August 2011

We are currently staying here for 4 nights as part of a two week trip through the UK. This trip is the result of extensive research and has included a variety of beautiful hotels. The Scotsman was supposed to be the biggest splurge. Two rooms for the four of us one a suite and the other two twins for our boys for a total of @ $900 a night. We had been told connecting rooms was not possible but that they could be adjacent. We arrived to checkin with our 11 and13 year old children and our rooms were as far apart as two rooms could be and still be on the same floor. Our protests were greeted with sorry we are fully booked as if we just showed up without a reservation. They then tried to blame our travel agent for not communicating this to them even though it was on all 8 pages of reservation confirmations! Michelle at the desk did try but somehow despite all the room types they have, finding a king room for us next to a twin room for our children was only possible on the 2nd floor, which is below grade on one side of the hotel and given how hot it had been being able to open the windows was essential and not recommended on that floor. We ended up all moving into our suite and mynkids are now sleeping on pull outs. My requests for extra padding on the pull outs to make them more comfortable and additional luggage racks since we now have 4 suitcases in our room were not met.
I understand that even in a 5 * hotel this can happen but the way it is dealt with is what sets a property apart. I felt like I needed to apologize for asking for what I reserved. In addition, the room for my boys,(which my husband and one son slept in the first night) was incredibly stuffy and smelled like smoke. The heated towel rack was positioned so that when you sat on the toilet it burned your leg. Despite their websites talk of oak paneled rooms, ours is painted the color of primer and the walls are very scuffed and dirty with two spots where it looks like someone
threw a drink at the wall. I don't want to keep complaining to them so I will just deal with the fact that the reading light is as dim as possible, the pillows are the flattest, lumpiest pillows I have ever slept on, the bedroom tv has no picture and the shower head produces the kind of rain you might not even pull out an umbrella for! The service in the North Bridge brasserie was slow and not attentive and the food was not memorable.
I wanted to like this hotel and the location is amazing. The highlight was seeing the fireworks from the tattoo from bed..although by the time we told the other members of our family to come look and they walked the long distance to our room they were over! That being said if you have young children the Publisher suite is a nice option if you don't mind the shower, the pillows,etc. I am just not seeing the 5 stars or the inclusion in Leading Hotels of the World.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank jkbmb
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2011

Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.

Unfortunately I did not receive your review on Trip Advisor until after you had departed from the hotel and so was unable to contact you personally during your stay. I understood from my Reception Manager, Michelle Grimmer that you were satisfied with the solution that she had arranged for you.

I never like to hear that any of my guest’s have not enjoyed their time with us and please be assured that I have thoroughly investigated each point you have made with my Management team.

With regards to the complaint you made about your rooms I would like to make the following points:
Firstly you were correctly informed that we do not have inter-connecting rooms, we do however always endeavour to fulfil our guest’s requests and I would like to apologise that on this occasion we were unable to offer you adjacent rooms. Unfortunately your travel agent has made it appear that this would be a guaranteed element of your booking. I was pleased to see that our reservations department did allocate you 2 rooms as close together as possible as the best possible solution.

Secondly even with the hotel being full, as expected at this time of year due to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, I am pleased that Michelle was able to offer you a queen bedded room for your teenage boys to share next door to your own.

As this option was not acceptable to you Michelle managed to find 2 adjacent rooms in the correct categories on the 2nd floor which you were not happy with due to potential noise levels.

With regards to your comments about these rooms “being below grade” I would respectfully disagree with this comment as all of our rooms and suites are of the same high standard across our 9 floors and can only assume your comments were due to personal taste.

Thirdly, after Michelle took time to further rearrange some rooms she was able to offer you 2 adjacent rooms on the 6th floor; this would have accommodated your son’s in 2 twin beds in one room and you and your husband in a queen size bed rather than a king, however you decided not to take us up on this offer and preferred to stay in the one Publisher suite.

I can assure you that the comment about “the hotel being full” was not a flippant comment as you thought but simply a statement confirming the difficulty we would face being able to accommodate your request; this does not however mean, as Michelle showed that we would not make every effort to offer you an alternative option.
You have made several comments about the standard of the room you stayed in and I would like to know address these for you.

The Scotsman hotel was originally home to the famous Scotsman newspaper and we are very proud that when the renovation took place to become the hotel it is today, a lot of the traditional features were kept; we believe this adds to the originality and quality of our rooms and suites. Following this renovation we do not advertise anywhere on our website that every room has wood panelling; all of our rooms are individually sized and designed and the 5 rooms that were originally Editor’s offices do have this unique oak panelling. Due to restrictions in place at the time of the renovation by Historic Scotland the designers have made use of the rooms to their best ability.

I agree that the heated towel rail in room 709 is in close proximity to the toilet and if you had mentioned this to any of our housekeeping, front of house staff or Michelle we would happily have arranged to have this switched off.

With regards to the requests you said you made for extra padding and additional luggage racks I have checked with the front office and concierge teams who have no record of these requests.

The paint that we use in that specific room is an off-white shade called “purple heather” and is not the “colour of primer” as you have said. I have personally inspected the walls of the room with my Head Housekeeper, Natasha Meikle and I would like to apologise that the marks on the wall had not been cleaned and painted; on my inspection I noted 2 scuffs near to the luggage rack. My Maintenance Manager, Paul McNamara runs a full painting and decorating programme throughout the hotel but I am sorry this room had not been more closely inspected prior to your arrival.

I appreciate, as I’m sure you do, that all of our guest’s have their own individual preferences in relation to pillows and our housekeeping team are always happy to replace these or exchange for different types if they do not meet our guest’s personal expectations; all of our housekeeping team have confirmed that no request for pillow changes were made during your stay.

Since your departure, on checking your room the TV is working correctly and requires no repair and my Maintenance team have confirmed that no record of a fault was logged during your stay.

During my personal inspection I noted that not only the large rainfall shower head but also the additional handheld shower in the bathroom are operating as they should be and offering our guest’s a pleasant showering experience.

Finally the reading lights are on energy saving bulbs and so do take some time to reach their maximum illumination, Paul has also checked these fittings and has found no fault; had you reported this to our team we would have happily been able to offer you additional lighting.

You have mentioned that you “do not wish to keep complaining” however had you mentioned the pillows, reading lights, TV and shower at any point during your stay these would certainly have been checked, repaired and/or replaced the same day if necessary and I’m certain would have enhanced the enjoyment of your stay.

I believe you dined with us on Saturday evening in North Bridge Brasserie and I have checked with my Food Services Manager, Jonathon Cowan if any problems were raised to him on the evening. I know that on Saturday evening we served 92 diners and out of all the comments cards given to our guest’s on their tables, the many returned to us on the evening were exceptionally complimentary and Jonathon has confirmed that no mention of “slow and unattentive service” was made by any of the 92 diners.

I am very surprised by your comment that the food was “unmemorable” as my Executive Head Chef, Paul Hart produces some of Edinburgh’s finest Scottish seasonal cuisine and many of our guest’s return time and again to enjoy his imaginative and locally sourced menu, I do however appreciate that the dishes you ordered may not have been to your own personal taste.

I am actually very confused by much of the content of your review as I believe from Michelle that she spoke to you on numerous occasions throughout your stay, not only to arrange restaurant bookings and guided tours but also to specifically enquire that you were still happy in room 709 and no further mention of these problems was made by yourself after the first day. Michelle was also pleased to note that on your departure you said you had had a “brilliant stay and would return next year.”

Should you wish to clarify any of the points you have made with me I would be more than happy to investigate further if required.

Reviewed 7 August 2011

We stopped by at the Scotsman at Edinburgh for a night on our road trip around Scotland and they upgraded us to a suite!
The room was absolutely amazing. It had a separate louge with a great view of princess street and the Edinburgh Monument amongst other things. The bathroom was large and the bed was so extremely comfortable that we ended up missing breakfast the next morning!
The location was convenient - hardly 10 minute walk to the castle and 5 minutes to princess street.

The only downside to the stay was that the parking lot was a 10 minute walk away from the hotel but the staff will unload your bags for you when you arrive and help you bring them down to the street for you and load them in.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Littlehogger
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2011

Thank you very much for your positive review regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman.

I always like to upgrade our guests where possible to add to their experience; I am very pleased to see that you were given the opportunity to enjoy one of our beautiful suites and that the standard was the high level at which we pride ourselves. Throughout the hotel all of our rooms and suites endeavour to offer our guest’s a real home from home feel and the missing of breakfast, although I’m sure not ideal for yourselves, is a testament to the comfort we like to offer.

Although we don’t provide a car park at the hotel; our guests receive a discounted rate at the local public car park which is only a 3 minute walk away from the Scotsman. I’m sorry that this was a disappointment to you; as one of the traditional Victorian buildings in the city we are unable to accommodate our own car park and for this reason have never advertised this service however I am pleased that our concierge were on hand to assist with you arrival and departure.

I hope that you will chose to return to Edinburgh and the Scotsman and perhaps this time enjoy our extensive Scottish breakfast.

I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the Scotsman in the future

Reviewed 4 August 2011

We chose an upgraded room - The Editor Room - breakfast included - at 157 GBP per night. Centrally located to sights in the city & shopping in the downtown area. Huge turret suite with tons of windows, interesting view, king bed, sofa, two overstuffed chairs, desk & small bar, attached huge bathroom with tub & rain shower. Wonderfully comfortable bed & pillows. Stunning bathroom. Our only complaint was our inability to control the temperature - it was way too hot even with the radiators turned off.

The check-in staff & bell service very friendly, responsive and helpful. Breakfast offered a nice choice of items in an uninspiring room. Hearty oatmeal was our favorite, toast served cold was the least (but when is restaurant toast ever warm?). We tried dinner in the attached restaurant - an expensive, barely palatable choice. Loved the Wildfire Restaurant - a short taxi ride away.

We would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Choose an Editor Room
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Booked in advance on line and got a good deal, thought the room may be poor but was pleasantly surprised with a spacious well equipped room and a reasonable view over towards the Balmoral. Good location particulary if arriving by train.

• Stayed: August 2011

I am pleased to hear that we exceeded your expectations regarding the room you booked; all of our rooms are individually styled and sized from when the renovation took place from the famous Scotsman newspaper building and the view that you enjoyed across to Princes Street and the new town of Edinburgh is one of our more popular.

As you have said we hold an enviable position on North Bridge allowing us the advantage of having out main entrance on the busy route of the bridge whilst also giving us easy access to Waverley station via Market Street.

I hope that you will choose to visit the Scotsman again and enjoy another “good deal” in the future and I look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed 4 August 2011

We have stayed here 5 times - brilliant place! Room service fantastic, breakfasts amazing! Can't recommend the hotel and the city enough!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s feedback and to hear that you have stayed with us on so many occasion and recommend the Scotsman is an added bonus.

Our Executive Head Chef, Paul Hart takes great pride in ensuring outstanding quality of locally sourced Scottish produce are used and I am pleased to you had the opportunity to enjoy our superb breakfast buffet.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Scotsman for your 6th visit in the future

Reviewed 29 July 2011

We had a one night stay in Edinburgh so we chose a deluxe room in The Scotsman.

The location is terrific, right Royal Mile, and only a stroll from Princes Street.

Our room was beautifully presented, small but with all the mod cons and a good view across the city.

The spa is what you would expect and more from a 5 star hotel.

Staff are friendly, helpful and welcoming.

Only gripe, if you could even call it that was the price; bit on the steep side at £139 for an advance pay rate and that didn't include breakfast.

Overall a lovely stay with great facilities, a bit of character and a cracking location.

• Stayed: July 2011
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2011

As you have mentioned we occupy an enviable location on North Bridge between Princes Street and the new town of Edinburgh and the Royal Mile which runs the length of the old town; we are very proud of our position and know that it enables our guest’s to really make the most of their visit to Edinburgh.

As the Scotsman, we were originally home to the famous Scotsman newspaper and are very proud that when the renovation took place to become the hotel it is today, a lot of the traditional features were kept. This means that all of our rooms are individually sized and styled giving a real feeling of originality and quality to all of our rooms and suites.

I am pleased to see that you had the opportunity of enjoying of wonderful Spa and Health Club facilities and trust that these added to your relaxing stay with us.

All of my staff strive to achieve and pride themselves on their professionalism and service whilst providing a relaxing atmosphere throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these and enjoyed your stay.

I can offer you an assurance that our breakfast and accommodation is priced competitively with all other 5 star city centre hotels and restaurants in Edinburgh; to keep at this competitive standard we always ensure we are aware of current market trends and business throughout the capital.

It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s feedback and I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to Edinburgh and The Scotsman in the future.