“Our Wonderful Wedding Weekend at The Scotsman”
Review of The Scotsman Hotel

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #83 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 19 November 2011

We held our wedding at The Scotsman last weekend and cannot thank the hotel enough for a truly amazing time!
First night - I checked into the hotel on the Friday afternoon and the doorman were superb in assisting in bringing our many bags and boxes into the hotel and moving them safely into the various function rooms. Reception were super friendly and I was checked into my room very quickly. The suite was beautiful, very spacious, clean and as I was spending the night with my two bridesmaids, they had made a sofa bed up in the 'living area'. The suite included a large bedroom, living area, a dining table with 4 chairs, dressing area, large bathroom with separate bathtub and shower, lots of wardrobe space, two televisions and lots of little 'special touches' like a filled whisky decanter with shot glass, slippers, robes, privacy hatch etc. Lots of space for getting ready on the morning of my wedding and lovely views of the city. The bed was super comfy and I enjoyed a great sleep!
Our Wedding - Held in the hotel, was perfect. We are so happy that we chose to hold our wedding in this iconic 5* hotel that really lived up to it's reputation. The staff were so helpful, especially Leah and Willie, who could not do more for us. The reception rooms are tastfully decorated and little touches, like the candle lit marble staircase were the perfect backdrop for our special day. The cocktails were absolutely delicious and our wedding meal was super. We are still receiving compliments from our guests on how good the food was (especially the Butternut Squash soup!! I've lost count of how many people have asked if I can get them the recipe!!) The service was outstanding, such friendly staff and I know our guests will be talking about our wedding for a long time to come!
Our Wedding Night - on our wedding day we were advised that we had been upgraded to the Penthouse Suite (OMG!!!) such a lovely amazing surprise. The suite is utterly beautiful, complete with balcony views of Edinburgh castle, a huge roll top bathtub, sauna, spiral staircase, thee comfiest bed in the world, walk in closet and the most spectacular views of the city. Breakfast was served in our room and was very very yummy!!
I am now talking my now husband into booking us up for our first year anniversary!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor to enjoy amazing city views!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Edinburghprincess
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2011

We have many different events, conferences and weddings here at the Scotsman and it is always a real pleasure to hear that we were able to contribute to someone’s special day. I completely understand the pressure of organizing a wedding and all the final arrangements that are required at the last minute so I was pleased to hear that by ensuring we were on hand and you liked the room we had allocated to you so much is an added bonus.

I have already passed on your kind compliments to both Willie and Leah and they were exceptionally happy to know that everything went smoothly. I’m pleased that all of your guests enjoyed the menu that our Executive Head Chef, Paul Hart arranged for you and I have passed your comments onto him.

I hope that you will both return to enjoy your first wedding anniversary with us and ask that you contact me directly to allow me to assist with your reservation. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Scotsman in the future.

There are newer reviews for The Scotsman Hotel

Reviewed 15 November 2011

I'm shocked at how little I enjoyed staying in the Scotsman hotel, especially so given it was my wedding night. We were greeted (us wearing kilt and wedding dress) by a porter who asked us if we'd just got off a flight - "No, we've just been married".

Our bags had been dropped off by the best man earlier in the day, yet only one of them made it up to the room for our arrival. The room itself was cozy, and there was champagne awaiting us. No accompanying champagne flutes however.

Breakfast was simply disappointing and made worse by having to answer the door despite the room having a hatch and a do not disturb sign on the door.

The restaurant on the other hand was excellent. Fabulous food and great service, I'd be more than happy to revisit and enjoy the scallops once more.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments and would like to take this opportunity firstly to respond to the points you have made.

With regards to your comments about the service you received, as I do not have your personal details I am unable to investigate thoroughly the comments you have made. If you would like to contact me directly I am more than happy to look into these and reply to you personally. I am surprised that your review states you stayed with us in December 2010 however you have only chosen now to add this review and I am disappointed that we were not given the opportunity of rectifying these issues at the time.

I would like to apologise that on this occasion we were unable to meet your personal expectations and I look forward to receiving your letter which would allow me to investigate these issues personally.

Reviewed 9 November 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Scotsman Boutique Hotel during our stay in Edinburgh. Our room was quite spacious! We had a large living room, bedroom and nice size bathroom. It was more like a comfortable apartment with a great views of the city. The staff was courteous and friendly. The decor in the small lobby was festive with a roaring fireplace to greet the visitors. We were in walking distance to shopping, great restaurants and had a bit longer hike to the amazing Edinburgh Castle. Edinburgh in geneeral is my absolute favorite vacation destination with its majestic, medievil architechture surrounded by breath-taking green rolling hills and mountains. The Scotsman has history of it's own located in the former offices of the Scotsman Newspaper. This 5 Star boutique hotel is well worth the visit!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

The Scotsman hotel was originally home to the famous Scotsman newspaper and we are very proud that when the renovation took place to become the hotel it is today, a lot of the traditional features were kept. We believe this adds to the originality and quality of our rooms and suites. We have designed our reception area to be as welcoming as possible; by having a “Concierge” style check-in, a roaring fire burning at all times and comfortable sofas we hope that our guests feel warm and looked after during their first moments in the hotel.
We like to deliver a truly 5 star “Scotsman” experience to our guests; our staff always endeavouring to be professional, friendly and offer the very best service at all times, I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these throughout your stay.
It is always a pleasure reading our guest’s reviews and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Scotsman in the future

Reviewed 7 November 2011

This is a lovely central hotel and is beatifully decorated inside with wood panelling. Our study room was very nice, especially the bathroom. The TV was faulty the first day and we did report it. The second day it stopped altogether. We like to watch the news on holiday so we did miss it. However, it was placed almost on the ceiling, so high that we would have got cricks in our necks when we watched it. Bedside reading lamp did not work. The wardrobe was tiny and an ironong board had been shoved in, limiting the space even further! All small details, but they are a pest at the time. Overall, I would go back in a minute.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

With regards to your comments about the maintenance issues with the TV and bedside lamp, I would like to apologise that these had not been more thoroughly checked prior to your arrival. As I do not have your reservation information I am not able to check our maintenance logs for reports against your room number but I have spoken to my Maintenance Manager, Paul McNamara who checks all TV’s on a weekly basis and he has confirmed that all rooms are working as they should be.

As the Scotsman, we were originally home to the famous Scotsman newspaper and are very proud that when the renovation took place to become the hotel it is today, a lot of the traditional features were kept. This means that all of our rooms are individually sized and styled giving a real feeling of originality and quality to all of our rooms and suites; however I do appreciate that some of our guests prefer large wardrobes and I am sorry that the room you were allocated did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

I was pleased to read that putting all the “small details” to one side you would be back to the Scotsman “in a minute” and we look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed 5 November 2011

Had a nice time. We did think we had paid for a canopy bed and sauna, so we were disappointed as we had requested this(but bed was comfy/spotless/soft clean etc). Spotlessly clean but lacking finesse. Beautiful old bar but whoever modernised it needs the sack. Should stick to olde worlde, however it is a boutique hotel, so perhaps that means modern? Should use traditional white tablecloths instead of cheap plastic type cover..little things that let it down.
Food was top class. Worthy of more stars etc etc. Chef did the hotel proud as did the restaurant staff were very welcoming and genuinely friendly.The scottish door porter was most helpful giving us a run down of what to visit etc. Very nice staff. Try hard.
We did thoroughly enjoy our stay and it is in the most central location, so am suprised to read there are rooms with good views as ours was over the top railway station.
The hotel is a beautiful old building and just something lacking in the posh finesse department..get rid of the awful modern blocking drinks bar as it obliterates the wonderful cornicings etc and wood panels. Lots of potential customers were lost as they peered in but were not curious/convinced enough to come in. Shame as the food was brilliant. Yes I would stay again. Lobby of editor offices bedroom needs smarting up.

Room Tip: Ask for a city or river view (not railway station roof)!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

As you have said some of our rooms have their own individual saunas and some beds are beautifully decorated with canopies; these rooms can be requested at the time of booking and we will always endeavour to fulfil these requests dependant on the room types booked; unfortunately as I don’t have your personal reservation information I am unable to check if these were requested by yourselves.

With regards to your comments about the table covers we have always maintained a clean and casual look for our Brasserie and believe that white table cloths may move us away from this. I do however appreciate that this may not be to everyone’s tastes and I am sorry that with regards to this we did not meet your personal expectations. Our Executive Head Chef, Paul Hart is extremely proud of his locally sourced, “truly” Scottish menu and was pleased to read your review.

You have commented on the view from your bedroom being across the top of Waverley Station; as we are situated in the centre of Edinburgh City and hold an enviable position on the edge of North Bridge we are surrounded by the buildings of the Old Town of Edinburgh. None of the views from our rooms and suites are blocked by the station roof however I appreciate that some of our guests may prefer a different view and I am sorry that this was not up to your personal expectations.

The North Bridge Brasserie was renovated at the same time as the hotel 10 years ago and then again approximately 5 years ago; the Brasserie has maintained is beautiful marble pillars and wrought iron balcony even though the bar itself is of a slightly more contemporary feel I believe it lends itself well to the design of the room. You have mentioned that the lobby of the editor offices needs to be smarter, I am unsure which area you are referring to with this comment so, unfortunately, I am unable to comment with any clarity.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you will be returning to stay at the Scotsman in the future is an added bonus and we look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed 3 November 2011

Arrived in the middle of the Fringe Festival and the streets were filled with traffic and people. Ideally, the hotel should advise arriving guests to enter on the lower streeet where the train station is located. We arrived on the upper level beside the Bistro and it was a bit chaotic. That being said, the staff could not have been friendlier or more accomodating both at check-in and during our two day stay. We had a huge room overlooking the North Bridge and enjoyed people watching from there. The view was beautiful and you can walk everywhere from this hotel. There was FREE internet access and a nice guest lounge area with a really interesting coffee table (a plaster woman sitting in the bathtub reading. The water level was actually the top of the coffee table) Breakfast was included and really good. In fact, the food at the Bistro was better than most we sampled elsewhere. Will tell any of our friends who will visit Edinburgh....this is the ONLY place to stay!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 2newlyretireds2

Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.

The entrance that you have referred to on Market Street is a secondary entrance to the hotel as a convenience for rail travelling guests who can very easily exit Waverley station and make a quick entrance into the hotel; as opposed to having a 4-5 minute walk or taxi ride to our main entrance on North Bridge. We would always advise our guests to use the main entrance of the hotel on North Bridge so that we are able to offer our 5 star level of service from the front door; I do agree however that for our guests who arrive by train, the Market Street entrance is the most convenient and our Concierge are more than happy to come and meet guests at the door.
During the busy August Festival period Edinburgh is alive with street performers, music acts and parades meaning that the city is truly rocking for the whole of this month and as you have said, foot traffic along prime routes such as North Bridge increases. I’m sure many people would agree that this simply adds to the fantastic atmosphere Edinburgh offers at this time of year.
I would like to thank you for your kind compliments about the food at the Brasserie and I have passed your comments on to our Executive Head Chef, Paul Hart. To hear that you will be recommending us to your friends and family is excellent and I hope to welcome you back to the Scotsman in the future

Reviewed 29 October 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here for two nights and we had a fantastic time. The staff were all very genuine and helpful without being too over the top. The room was beautiful - everything was finished to a very high standard. I have worked in several and visited many 4/5* hotels in the UK and this was by far the best! We will definitely return and I have no doubt that it will again be a fantastic experience!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these and enjoyed your stay.
It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s feedback and to hear that you thought of us as “the best 5 star hotel” and that you will be returning in the future is an added bonus; I look forward to welcoming you back to the Scotsman