“Great location and great service if you can afford it, spring for an uphrase.”
Review of The Scotsman Hotel

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #90 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
McGregor, Minnesota
“Great location and great service if you can afford it, spring for an uphrase.”
Reviewed 6 December 2011

Super nice staff, super location midway down Royal mile, amazing spa pool area, etc. Room configurations are a little weird since its an old building, but we were upgraded to top floor so the views were great! If you are on a tight budget, this isn't the hotel for you. But if you want a special stay, you'll have plenty to love at the Scotman...

• Stayed November 2011
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, 8 December 2011
We like to deliver a truly 5 star “Scotsman” experience to our guests; our staff always endeavouring to be professional, friendly and offer the very best service at all times, I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these throughout your stay.
I am pleased to read that you were accommodated on our top floor and enjoyed the wonderful views we offer across to Princes Street, Calton Hill and on a clear day the Firth of the Forth.
I would like to offer you my assurance that our rooms are priced competitively with all other 5 star city centre hotels and we always endeavour to offer our guests the best value deal; I would recommend that if you decide to return to Edinburgh and the Scotsman you contact our reservations team directly to allow us to offer you the best available rate
Thomas Graham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
  • Korean first
Edinburgh
Reviewed 5 December 2011

Do not bother going to the spa, YOU WILL NOT RELAX ! Loud swimming lessons for kids are on all afternoon, the pool is hardly big enough for more than a few people, the teaching lane takes a lot of the space away + the pool side is covered with plastic toys.
A quality Spa should offer peace and quiet.

Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 5 December 2011

Unfortunately I have to report that the reservation department at The Scotsman is at best shoddy.

They have taken money from my bank account even though I cancelled my reservation for Christmas over a month ago.

I have had to call them several times to resolve thier own mistake and still to no avail.

I am really dissapointed.

So please beware.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Love2011164
Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent experience with the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity to respond to the points you have made.

I was saddened to see your review on Trip Advisor as I understood from your recent conversations with my Executive Assistant, Claire Thomas that we had resolved this unfortunate mistake to your satisfaction.

I would like to offer my sincerest apologies that we did not, as Claire discussed with you, receive the email stating your request to cancel your Christmas reservation with us and as a result of this the full payment was taken as agreed in the terms and conditions of your reservation.

Claire has already processed a full refund of the amount debited, including the non-refundable deposit as a gesture of goodwill and I trust that you have received this in your bank.

Once again I would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused but I am pleased to know that this matter is now fully resolved.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2011

I booked on the day I was staying, all very last minute, & the price was considerably less than the regular rate. As such I decided to upgrade to a suite & made my full payment over the phone as the trip was a surprise for my husband & I didn't want him to pay. On arrival I was told I hadn't paid & paid again. This was rectified later that day & the australian gentleman at reception was very apologetic & courteous but upon checkout I was asked again if I'd paid and had to sit for 20 minutes while my receipts were scrutinised by the lady at reception who then called her colleague over to do the same, quite embarrassing.

Our suite was in a different side to the building than we'd stayed previously. The room was very well set out on different levels but the bedroom/main window was too high to see out of, a bit of a disappointment, but not as disappointing as the smell! The room had a damp, wet laundry smell, which I did point out to the porter but he said it was the fire retardancy spray used on the tweed curtains and cushions on the bed. Surely there's a way of avoiding your rooms of smelling like this? Moreover the room we'd stayed in previously (right above the "Scotsman" sign) seemed altogether better than this room, with no smell, an amazing view, a stain free carpet and altogether less shabby.

Problems aside we did have a view of the castle from the bathroom. Also the room service we ordered was piping hot and delicious, and the breakfast ordered to the suite was also excellent.

If I were marking the Scotsman on this particular stay I'd have said it was poor or average, but I don't want to put anyone off staying, it is a great hotel but I'm really not sure if I'll stay again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.

Unfortunately, as is the case with Trip Advisor reviews, I am not privilege to the personal details of our guest’s bookings and so I am unable to comment with clarity about the situation surrounding payment of your reservation. I would like to ask you to write to me directly so that I can take the opportunity to investigate this thoroughly for you. I was pleased to read that the receptionist you dealt with was as courteous and professional as we always aim to be however I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the “embarrassing” feeling you were left with.

With regards to your comments about the room, again, I am unfortunately not aware of the room number you stayed in so I can not offer exact comments on this room. As a general statement though I am concerned that you found there to be a “damp” smell in the room and my Head Housekeeper, Natasha Meikle has personally checked all of our rooms and suites for any evidence of this smell. You were advised right that we, as all businesses are required to, use a fire retardant spray but this should certainly not leave a smell of any description.

I am sorry to hear that on your return visit you did not enjoy your stay as much as the first time but I do hope that you will decide to return to the Scotsman to allow us the opportunity of redeeming our good name once again.

Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2011

I am currently staying in the Scotsman and want to make immediate comments.

Undoubtedly The Scotsman is a good hotel but the use of the word quirky is overused to cover a number of issues. I realise I have only been in one room, 601, but I would recommend you avoid it. I have read a number of the reviews and this room is not spacious. It is a "quirky" shape. But I would suggest there are a number of issues that do not make this a 5 star hotel. Many of these comments are made in other reviews.

1. The place is unbelievably hot. There is no air conditioning so opening the windows and running a fan just about cools the room but the noise of the north bridge intrudes

2. The decor is generally good but there is thread bare carpet edging by the bathroom.

3. The TV is placed so high in a cupboard that it is impossible to watch from the armchair and to do so at all means moving the furniture around.

4. The remote control is worn so I was unable to switch on the tv from the bed

5. I am 5 foot 7 inch and my feet were at the edge of the Bed. Any taller and your feet will be dangling off the end. The bed is also be a cosy double

6. Compared to other 5 Star rooms I have had the fortune to stay in recently this is by far the most cramped.

7. The cold tap handle fell off in my hand. I did report it but no action taken

8. The bathroom speakers did not work

9 sleep timer on tv is odd and accessed via a menu rather than on the remote so a bit or a rigmarole to set when half asleep having woken up in an pool of sweat at 0400 and then struggled to switch on tv.

10. The radio channels were intermittent and not working in the evening although we're ok the next morning

So overall a hotel with good staff and overall good quality furnishings. But the rooms are shoehorned into a "quirky" building and the furnishings, bed, seem made to fit the room, ie is small.

I feel sure that as a single i was unlucky or suffered the usual issue of being put in a less good room because couples are better. From some of the other reviews this seems to be a lovely hotel and it should be. The building is great. The position is superb so I am sorry to be negative, however I have said it as if found it.

Room Tip: Avoid room 601.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank clsiow
Unfortunately, due to the delay in your post being made public I did not receive notification of your review until now and I believe you may have checked out of the Scotsman already. You have not mentioned whether or not you have raised any of these issues with any of my team during your stay; I hope that you did give us this opportunity as I am certain we would have made every effort to resolve these points for you.
You have mentioned that there was no air conditioning in your room; indeed this is not a facility that is offered nor advertised in the hotel. The Scotsman hotel was originally home to the famous Scotsman newspaper and we are very proud that when the renovation took place to become the hotel it is today, a lot of the traditional features were kept. The age of the building and historical protection means that we are unable to install facilities such as air conditioning; at this cold time of year our Maintenance team endeavour to maintain a comfortable temperature throughout the hotel however I do appreciate that all guests have personal preferences when it comes to room temperatures and so we would have been more than happy to assist you with lowering this in your room had it been requested.

With regards to the cold tap that “fell off” I am sorry that this was not repaired when you requested and this has now been actioned. The other issues regarding the TV, carpet, bathroom speakers and radio were not, as far as I can see, reported and so we were not able to assist with these during your stay. I am pleased to report that all of these items in room 601 have now been checked to ensure that they are working as required and I am just sorry that you did not afford us the opportunity to put these right for you.

In all of our rooms and suites we have a selection of twin, double, queen and king size beds all of which are standard sizes such as can be brought from any retailer; I would like to apologise that we did not meet your personal expectations for the size of bed you reserved.

You have mentioned that you believe as a single traveller you “suffered the usual issue of being put in a less good room” and I would like to categorically confirm that at no point would we ever treat any of our guests less favourably no matter the size of their party. Our guests reserve the room or suite of their choice and we, at every stage of their visit, endeavour to deliver a 5 star standard of service and quality.

I hope that you will choose, in the future, to return to the Scotsman and enjoy the excellent service that we are so proudly known for.

Kingston, New York
Reviewed 1 December 2011

We used Fodors as our guide on much of our recent trip to Scotland and England - and they didn't steer us wrong on any accounts. We had one night to stay in Edinburgh and one of their top recommendations was The Scotsman. I looked online and they had a special offer for Sunday night guests that included a chilled bottle of champagne and a bouquet of flowers in your room upon arrival. AND it included dinner and a full Scottish breakfast in their lovely North Bridge Brasserie restaurant! I asked for a room with a view and we were on the top floor looking out over the enchanting chimneys and rooftops of the city. Every member of the staff we encountered were friendly and very helpful. We loved it and would give it our highest rating!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MaryAnneErickson
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2011

My wife and i had a short mid-week city break in the Scotsman hotel. We travelled there by bus from the airport and found that trip easy and cheap enough for other travellers to do. The hotel was great, loads of atmosphere and a great, central location. The room was lovely but the bed was smaller than other comparable hotels would have had. The staff, were very welcoming, helpful and hospitable. We would happily recommend the hotel and would definitely go again if and when the opportunity presents itself.

Room Tip: Ask for a qquiet room away from the lifts.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.
We are indeed very accessible as the local airport bus stop is only a 3 minute walk away from our Market Street entrance and I am pleased to see that you enjoyed the enviable location we hold on North Bridge for exploring Edinburgh.
We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these and enjoyed your stay.
It is always a pleasure to read our guests reviews and to hear that you will be happily recommending us to your friends and family is an added bonus. I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the Scotsman in the future