“Not The Hotel it Used To Be.....!!!!”
Review of The Scotsman Hotel

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #84 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
London
“Not The Hotel it Used To Be.....!!!!”
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I have stayed at The Scotsman many times in the past, both on business & pleasure and always found the hotel to be friendly, efficient and a very enjoyable place to stay. Therefore when I was choosing a hotel to stay in Edinburgh for a weekend (2nd & 3rd December) for myself and my wife plus a client and his wife I had no hesitation in opting for The Scotsman.
Unfortunately our stay was full of disappointment. I believe we stayed in two Editor suites which proved to be extremely noisy....the windows constantly rattled and kept us awake at night. The general appearance of the hotel is looking rather shabby and the bedrooms/ bathrooms are in desperate need of revamping as they are looking very tired and well and truly used.
The TV and speaker system in the room proved to be very erratic and worked intermittently.
Although we didn't have dinner in the restaurant we found that breakfast was complete pandamonium.....long waits for tables.....the staff were rushed off their feet not knowing who they've tended to or not....we also had to ask for items which we'd ordered or that were missing from the table.
It's such a shame to see what was once a truly wonderful hotel to be losing it's reputation so quickly, especially when there are so many new competitors appearing on the scene.
Prior to my stay at The Scotsman I had spent 2 nights at One Devonshire Gardens in Glasgow which was not only cheaper than my stay with yourselves but also in a totally different league.....truly stunning huge rooms, immaculate throughout, amazing service which all goes towards a memorable stay.
I also find it rather disappointing and a waste of time when you are asked to fill in a guest feedback form that you are not contacted by a memebr of the hotel management team to discuss the issues raised.

2 Thank TonyJLondon
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2012
Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments and would like to take this opportunity to respond to the points you have made.

I was sorry to hear that you return experience to the Scotsman did not meet your expectations from previous visits; we always endeavour to offer a 5 star standard of service and it appears that we have fallen below this standard.

Unfortunately I am unable to know exactly which 2 Editor rooms you stayed in as I do not have your personal details from this review, however I would like to assure you that my Maintenance Manager, Paul McNamara checks all external windows on a regular basis and has, since receiving your review confirmed that all the Editors room windows are secure. As I’m sure you are aware Edinburgh has, as much of the UK has, been battered by exceptionally strong winds over the last month and this may have contributed to the noise levels on the evening you stayed with us.

We are very proud of the traditional and quirky appearance that the Scotsman has and always endeavour to ensure that all of our rooms are kept up to date, clean and well maintained. I am sorry that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations and that you found the hotel to be in need of “revamping.”

With regards to your comments about breakfast I have spoken to my Food Services Manager, Samantha Slight and she has already addressed this with her team at her regular team meetings and training sessions. The service you have described is obviously not the standard at which we pride ourselves and I would like to sincerely apologise for this.

I appreciate you completing the guest comments card from your room and I am sorry that you were expecting a personal reply. All of our comments cards are logged and any issues resolved by the relevant managers; since the beginning of December we have only had one comments card mentioning noisy windows and there was no request for a further response from myself, I would like to apologise if this was your expectation.

I hope that will perhaps, in the future choose to return to the Scotsman and I would ask that you contact me directly to allow me to assist you with your reservation

Thomas Graham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (452)
  • Korean first
London, UK
Reviewed 2 January 2012

We have just returned from a 3 night Hogmanay package at the Scotsman where we had booked two of their publisher suites.

My parents arrived first and texted us from reception where they said they were waiting for about 10-15 minutes to check in as there was only one receptionist on duty. Hmmm. Our own arrival went very smoothly and we were shown to our (upgraded) directors suite, 803. This turned out to be a duplex with a very dark and uncomfortable lounge on the lower floor and a cramped bedroom in the eaves of the roof above. However it did have the walk-in shower which we had requested and great views of the Edinburgh skyline; it was late and we were keen to meet up with my parents; and as we knew the hotel would be pretty full we said nothing and took the room.

We all returned to the hotel at about 1am and headed to bed. Within ten minutes of my head hitting the pillow I realised I would never get to sleep as the said pillow was extremely thin, uneven foam. I called down to reception who were terribly apologetic and produced two new feather pillows within minutes. Not a great start to be sure and bedding not up to five star standards, but hey at least I can get to sleep. Wrong. I quickly realised that the mattress (which I knew from sitting on it was old and worn) had a serious sag right in the middle by my lower back. This was clearly visible the next morning and I tottered off to reception to complain. Once again the staff were very helpful and apologetic and offered to show us another room or change the mattress. Once again not the standard of fittings one expects in a 5 star hotel but back on track. Perhaps...

My parents appeared at breakfast looking bleary-eyed and pale. Their room, 301, had turned out to be above a night-club built into the very ground floor of the hotel building itself. The noise had reverberated through their room keeping them awake until they finally gave in at about 230am and called reception who told them that the club closed at 3am so all would soon go quiet. Bad enough to have a 3am nightclub below a 5 star hotel but the reception did not know that the club had an extension to 5am for New Year! By 4am my sleepless parents could take no more and were shown to a new room, 806, far away from the party.

Oh dear. Meanwhile the reception had found us another room on the fourth floor to consider as an alternative to our claustrophobic garrett in the attic, but the extremely helpful (and extremely handsome!) Richard warned us that they did sometimes get complaints about noise from the nightclub from this room too so we decided to stay in the eaves where we could at least guarantee sleep.

It was when we saw my parents' new room that we realised what a sorry state of repair many of the hotel rooms are in. The carpet was threadbare, the net curtains dirty, the soft furnishings tired. With these eyes I took another look at our own room. The new mattress did not sag at least but it was still old and badly sprung. The bedspread had a large round dark stain on it. The black wood on the cupboard doors was chipped all over.

We had last stayed in the Scotsman maybe 3-4 years ago and this was not how we remembered it. Yet it is clear that the hotel has not kept up regular refurbishment of the rooms and these are now way below the standard expected from a hotel of this level. (The main public rooms on the other hand remain sparkling, though this is mainly because they are splendid Victorian stone and marble.) If you Google you will find that the hotel group is currently in administration, which explains this lack of investment. For the sake of the staff I sincerely hope that a buyer is found who can spend to make this once again a hotel they can be proud of, but until then do not stay there folks.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank aristoph

I was pleased to read that we were able to accommodate your request for a walk in shower and you enjoyed the wonderful views across Edinburgh. As the Scotsman was originally home to the famous Scotsman newspaper and we are very proud that when the renovation took place to become the hotel it is today, a lot of the traditional features were kept. This means that all of our rooms are individually sized and styled giving a real feeling of originality and quality to all of our rooms and suites.

I would like to apologise that the pillows did not meet your personal expectation and I’m sure you can appreciate that everyone has individual preferences when it comes to pillows and bedding. I was pleased to hear that our Front House staff were “apologetic” and offered you alternative pillows and an alternative room. I have already addressed your comments about the mattress with my Head Housekeeper, Natasha Meikle and the mattress has been changed, I appreciate though, that this is of no comfort to yourself.
As the Scotsman is a City Centre hotel we are, unfortunately subject to the noise pollution of a busy Capital City. Throughout the rooms and public areas of the hotel we have made every effort; such as double glazing and appropriate sound proofing to try and ensure our guests are not disturbed during their stay. I doubt that ourselves or any other business or hotel on Hogmanay would offer our guests a quiet and peaceful haven as during “Europe’s biggest New Year celebrations” Edinburgh is alive with the Princes Street party, music acts and 3 times more tourists than any other time of year.
With regards to the list of problems you have written about the “threadbare carpets, chipped wood doors, stained mattresses and dirty net curtains” I would like to offer you my complete assurance that this is not the standard at which we pride ourselves. Natasha, I and my Maintenance Manager, Paul McNamara regularly check all rooms to endeavour to deliver the 5 star standard of service we pride ourselves on.
Speaking to my Front of House Manager, Andrew Boe about your review he was surprised at the comments you had made as he believed the problems had been resolved to your satisfaction, indeed this was the impression given to him at the time of your check out. I would like to apologise that we did not meet your expectations and assure you that had these matters been bough to our attention we would have made every effort to ensure your stay was as expected.
You have commented that resulting from a Google search you have found that the Scotsman hotel is in administration; I am not sure when you conducted this search however I would like to happily inform you that the Scotsman Hotel came out of administration in mid-December and we are looking forward to an extremely bright future.
I hope that you will perhaps consider returning to stay with us again in the future and ask that you contact me directly should you decide this so that I may assist you with your reservation
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Having stayed at The Scotsman in April 2011, we knew it would be the ideal choice for a Christmas break.

We stayed four nights from 24th to 27th December. We had added the hotel's Christmas entertainment package to our original booking. This included arrival refreshments, breakfasts, Christmas Dinner, cinema movie, tickets for King's Theatre pantomime and more. Dinner was delicious, the pantomime (my first) was great fun and everything else was good quality - an excellent Christmas package.

On our previous stay in April, we had booked a Publisher Suite and were allocated accommodation on the 7th floor. This time round, I had specifically requested a 4th floor Publisher Suite. We were extremely pleased with the room(s) this time round - spacious, warm and exceptionally comfortable.

As with our previous stay in this hotel, we found all staff in the hotel itself and in the North Bridge Brasserie to be very pleasant, helpful and efficient. We really enjoyed our stay.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2011

We spent one night in the hotel and were impressed from the moment we checked in until when we checked out. The location is wonderful and the staff could not be more helpful. We will be back

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel.

As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.

It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s reviews and to hear that you were “impressed from the minute you checked in” is an added bonus.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Scotsman in the future

Tralee
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Earlier in the spring of 2011,our children gave us a 3 day stay at The Scotsman.It was our first visit to Edinburgh,and was a visit we looked forward to. It rained and was very cold for most of the stay,the warmth of the heaters within the room, was the one saving grace for the hotel. We found the staff uppity,the 2 separate buildings within the hotel confusing, the 'leaving; of the main building, to get to the pool/gym most unusual and 'cold'..in many ways.Be sure a breakfast is included in the fare.as it was not 'plain' in our booking,so each morning we sought food elsewhere.We complained to Expedia, and to the hotel direct, as we found this Hotel NOT worthy of accolades showered upon it. It is central. It is next door to a main rail station.For us it was the most unwelcoming and bleak hostelry we ever experienced,and expensive.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
I was extremely concerned to read that your experience of our staff was one that you would refer to as “uppity” and that you left with the impression of a “bleak and unwelcoming hostelry;” unfortunately as you have not given any further details on why you left with this opinion I am unable to comment with clarity. Please feel free to contact me directly with further details so that I have the opportunity to thoroughly investigate the staff members who you dealt with.
The Scotsman hotel was originally home to the famous Scotsman newspaper and we are very proud that when the renovation took place to become the hotel it is today, a lot of the traditional features were kept, one of which was the layout. I appreciate that the 2 towers of the hotel create a quirky layout and I understand that this may not appeal to all of our guest’s individual tastes.

With regards to your comments about the clarity of breakfast not being included in your rate, I was pleased to read that you have taken this up with Expedia as your agent. We always ensure that our rates are explained clearly, showing exactly what is included and I am sorry that this information was not passed onto you by Expedia.

With regards to your comments about the prices you paid I can offer you an assurance that our accommodation is priced competitively with all other 5 star city centre hotels in Edinburgh.

As you can see from the many reviews on websites such as Trip Advisor the majority of our guests give glowing reviews on our staff and service and we always endeavour to deliver this standard to all of our guests; I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your stay

Reviewed 28 December 2011

Great hotel with superb service and excellent facilities. I had a great stay in an excellent room with great views. Staff are very helpful and provide a great level of service. I will be staying here in the future rather than the balmoral.

• Stayed December 2011
We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these and enjoyed your stay.
It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s reviews and to hear that you will be staying with us on future visits to Edinburgh is an added bonus; I look forward to welcoming you back to the Scotsman in the future

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 December 2011

My mum-in-law was staying with me and my husband for Christmas, and booked us a spa day on Boxing Day as a treat. We were very much looking forward to a day of luxury in this five star hotel. Unfortunately we were let down.

First of all, we had trouble finding the spa within the hotel - an unsmiling member of staff directed us, without offering to show us the way. The greeting at the spa reception was similar, if not less friendly, than the one I get at my local council swimming baths. The man behind the desk paid little attention to us (we had to repeat our lunch order several times) and didn't seem to know what he was doing. Not a great start!

We were given robes, towels and slippers and pointed in the direction of the changing rooms. My treatment was booked first, but I hadn't been told where to wait for my therapist. After sitting by the pool with my family, I went back through to reception to ask where I should go - luckily my therapist was already there trying to find me!

This is where the five star service started. Kayleigh took me up to a beautiful treatment room, and gave me the most fantastic facial I've ever had. She was professional, thorough and very friendly. After my treatment I was tucked up in the very cosy relaxation room, with a cup of herbal tea and a big duvet to lie under.

After my treatment I joined my family, who had been having a swim, for lunch. Time for the five star service to end. We had pre-ordered lunch so that it would arrive at 2 p.m. It was served at 2:20 p.m., lukewarm, and incorrect. I had to sit there with nothing to eat while my meal was remade. The gentleman from reception came over to apologise for the delay in my replacement meal, explaining that they didn't know where the chef had gone...! The drinks we were given were room temperature, and they were out of ice. (I don't know how a five star hotel runs out of ice, but seemingly they do.) All three of us had chips with our lunch but we were only given one tiny dish of ketchup between us - I had to ask for more, which took nearly ten minutes to arrive. When my meal finally arrived, my family had finished their lunches (having left some of their meals, since their club sandwiches were dripping with way too much mayonnaise) and had to sit there while I ate mine.

I had a swim and some time in the jacuzzi while my husband and mum-in-law had their treatments. The pool was crowded and I found the industrial, low-lit area somewhat depressing, but the jacuzzi was lovely. Unfortunately the shower in the changing room, although claiming to go up to 40oC on the dial, never reached anything more than cold. Not very relaxing!

There are so many things which let this place down. Nothing, apart from the spa treatment, ran smoothly. I have been to a few five star hotels and this place comes nowhere close to the service I've experienced. It's simply not five star - very disappointing.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family

We always endeavour to deliver a 5 star standard of service and quality and it is obvious to me that we fell far below this during your visit. I have already spoken to my Leisure Manager, Charlie Reekie with regards to the issues you have mentioned and please be assured that this has already been addressed with his team.

I was very pleased to hear that our therapist, Kayleigh treated you to the expected standards or service and I have passed your kind compliments onto her.

I could list a catalogue of “excuses” and reasons why the service you received was no as it should be but this is not the way that we conduct ourselves at the Scotsman, so I would instead like to simply offer my sincerest apologies and ask that you contact me directly should you choose to return to the Scotsman to allow me to arrange a wonderful experience for you with my compliments.