“Friendly but not quite as good as I was hoping for.”
Review of The Scotsman Hotel

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #89 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Berwick upon Tweed
“Friendly but not quite as good as I was hoping for.”
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Went to see the "King and I" with my wife as part of my Xmas present to her on the Friday after New Year. Decided to stay at the Scotsman as an extra treat. People were very friendly and the room was great. However a couple of negatives. The food in the restraurant was pretty plain (perhaps because we were choosing from the "theatre menu") and the vegetarian option for my wife was "pretty tasteless", in her words. The night time sleep was pretty disrupted due to the sheets on the bed irritating the skin. Again perhaps too much starch as it felt like light sandpaper when you turned over. Still the rest of the hotel stay was excellent and the reception staff and porters were very efficient and made us feel very welcome.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EastOrdMan
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2012
Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments and would like to take this opportunity to respond to the points you have made.
We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these and enjoyed your stay.
With regards to your comments about the “plain food” in the restaurant I was surprised and concerned by this as the majority of our guests rave about our 1 rosette standard food and our Executive Head Chef, Paul Hart takes great pride in offering imaginative and inspired food through all of his menus. The Pre-Theatre menu is simply a smaller version of our main a’ la carte menu and would certainly not be cooked to any less standard. I would like to apologise that we did not meet your personal expectations during your visit to the Brasserie.
You have commented about the feel of the bed sheets; I can confirm that we do use a very small amount of starch on our sheets, as I’m sure the majority of hotels do however, we certainly do not over starch them. As I’m sure you can appreciate all of our guests have their own individual tastes when it comes to bed sheets and covers and I am sorry that we did not meet yours.
It is a pleasure to read that our staff made you feel welcome and I hope that you will choose to return to the Scotsman in the future
Thomas Graham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Korean first
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed 12 January 2012

This was our first Christmas away from home so we were a bit unsure of what to expect. The hotel was almost full but despite that the service was excellent and the staff faultless - especially Angela, who seemed to be constantly working as we regularly encountered her but who was friendly and professional on every meeting. Initially we had a deluxe room with an excellent view across the station to Princes Street, however, you wouldn't believe that Network rail started using a pneumatic drill and still saws at 2am on Xmas morning just below our room. The noise continued all night which resulted in us having to move rooms on Xmas day, bit of a shame but completely out of the control of the hotel. Rooms were a little tired here and there but generally of a reasonable standard.

Room Tip: Higher floors would reduce the traffic noise - we had an internal room on the 5th floor which was a...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
We like to deliver a truly 5 star “Scotsman” experience to our guests; our staff always endeavouring to be professional, friendly and offer the very best service at all times, I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these throughout your stay. I would like to thank you for your kind compliments regarding Angela in particular and I have already passed these onto her for which she was extremely grateful.
You have commented about the works which Network Rail carried out on the roof of Waverley train station over the Christmas period; I, like yourself and others I’m sure, was shocked to discover such intrusive work being carried out at such an unreasonable time and at Christmas. I was not informed by Network Rail of the timings of the work or the potential disruption it would cause and I would like to offer my sincere apologies for this disturbance; I was pleased to read that we were able to accommodate you in another room for the remainder of your stay.
As you have not mentioned the specific reasons you thought our rooms to be “abit tired” I am unable to comment with clarity on this, I would like to assure you that we have a rigorous decoration and maintenance schedule to endeavour to ensure all of our rooms are of the high standard expected at all times.
I hope that you will choose to return to Edinburgh and the Scotsman and look forward to possibly welcoming you back in the future
Lanark
Reviewed 11 January 2012

We spent an evening at the Scotsman one Saturday in early December - found a great deal on laterooms and didn't expect a great room as it was a brilliant price.

On arrival we couldn't find our way to reception as we entered by the spa door - no problem, however, as the lovely concierge escorted us to reception and just continued to be first class throughout our stay. He had a certain edge to his customer care which made us feel special, even though we were only there for one night and not really using the hotel facilities.

The room was lovely, well fitted out with great use of space and ideal for an overnight stay. Had we been staying longer I would have preferred a bigger room, however we knew what we were getting up front. The extras in the room were great, right down to nice toiletries and a bathrobe.

Excellent service and good food at breakfast. late evening bar was friendly and they were very keen to let us know how to continue our celebration drinks once the bar was closed.

The reception staff were outstanding and everything was great.

A definite one to recommend.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple

As you found, the Scotsman has its main entrance on North Bridge, however our Market Street entrance is extremely convenient for guests who have traveled by plane, rail or their own transport to reach us and our Concierge are more than happy to assist you to our reception on level 4.

We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am pleased to see that you experienced the team’s professionalism and friendliness.

It is always a pleasure to hear of our guest’s enjoyment and that you will be recommending us to your friends and family is an added bonus.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Excellent weekend stay. Comfortable room, wonderfully friendly Staff who couldn't do enough for us. Excellent breakfast.
We usually stay ihn another of Edinburgh's 5* establishments, but due to that place being refurbished, we chose the Scotsman instead, and we are very pleased we did!
I can't find fault with anything, other than the trouser press slightly blocking access through the bedroom door...but..if that's the only fault in a 2 night stay, perhaps that gives you some idea how good this place is?

Room Tip: We were on level 6, didn't hear any noise at all overthe 2 nights
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank johnb2123
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel; as you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.

We pride ourselves on the high level of professionalism, efficiency, friendliness and relaxed atmosphere we offer and I am pleased to hear that you experienced all of these throughout your stay

It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s reviews and to hear that you had such a “fabulous” first time stay with us is an added bonus; I hope that, should you choose to return to Edinburgh you will decide to stay with us once again

I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the Scotsman in the future

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Booked a suite but was told on checkin that we had been upgraded to the Penthouse! We did have to wait a while as they insist you are taken to your room, by one person running around on his own. Amazing room which was way to big for just too but everything you need.

The bar is small but good. Batman knew how to serve Hendricks but had no cucumber (in a hotel with a top restaurant)! Service was good.

As the room had a dining room we decide to have dinner in the room before going out. Good in room menu and the food was great. Staff were great and even brought the courses at different times.

Only thing wrong with the room was the size of the shower and its location right next to some stairs.

Breakfast was really good with good service.

Excellent location next to the station.

• Stayed December 2011
Thank you for taking the time to record your comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel
I always like to take the opportunity to upgrade our guests to enhance your experience from arrival and I am pleased that we were able to accommodate you in our sumptuous Penthouse suite.
You have mentioned that we “insisted” on taking you to your room; our Concierge team always endeavours to offer our guests a personal arrival service to ensure that you are aware of the facilities, services and details of your room from the start. We believe this offers a truly 5 star “Scotsman” experience and as the hotel is quirky in its layout, due to the original renovation from the Scotsman newspaper it is also a chance for us to ensure you know your way around during your stay.
Should our guests wish to make their own way to their rooms this is course not a problem and our Concierge would have been happy to deliver your luggage to you shortly after your arrival.
With regards to the lack of cucumber to accompany your drink I am sorry that we had run out of this at the time of your order, as I’m sure you can appreciate we always endeavour to ensure that we are amply stocked to meet our guest’s requirements however there may be times that we run out of certain items.
As you know the Penthouse suite is on 2 levels and the bathroom is situated on the top level with its own sauna, twin sinks and roll top bath enjoying fantastic views across Edinburgh’s rooftops. The walk in shower has powerful side jets as well as a “waterfall” shower head and the option of a handheld shower over the bath. The Penthouse was originally the pigeon attic for incoming and outgoing news and messages when the building was the Scotsman newspaper and we are proud that layout and traditional features of the building were retained throughout the renovation; I am sorry that the layout of the shower did not meet your personal expectations.
I would like to thank you for your kind compliments regarding the evening meal you ordered, the service received and your breakfast, I have already passed these onto my Heads of Departments and their teams.
Should you decide to return to Edinburgh and the Scotsman I look forward to welcoming you back in the future?
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Our stay at The Scotsman was very pleasent in all aspects, a first class establishment! Nice rooms, very friendly, helpfull and serviceminded staff and we would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
We always endeavour to deliver a truly 5 star standard of service and quality and I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your “Scotsman Experience.”
All of our staff are proud to deliver a professional, friendly and efficient service and to read such a positive review from our guests is an added bonus
It is lovely to hear that you will be returning to the Scotsman in the future and I look forward to welcoming you back
London
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I have stayed at The Scotsman many times in the past, both on business & pleasure and always found the hotel to be friendly, efficient and a very enjoyable place to stay. Therefore when I was choosing a hotel to stay in Edinburgh for a weekend (2nd & 3rd December) for myself and my wife plus a client and his wife I had no hesitation in opting for The Scotsman.
Unfortunately our stay was full of disappointment. I believe we stayed in two Editor suites which proved to be extremely noisy....the windows constantly rattled and kept us awake at night. The general appearance of the hotel is looking rather shabby and the bedrooms/ bathrooms are in desperate need of revamping as they are looking very tired and well and truly used.
The TV and speaker system in the room proved to be very erratic and worked intermittently.
Although we didn't have dinner in the restaurant we found that breakfast was complete pandamonium.....long waits for tables.....the staff were rushed off their feet not knowing who they've tended to or not....we also had to ask for items which we'd ordered or that were missing from the table.
It's such a shame to see what was once a truly wonderful hotel to be losing it's reputation so quickly, especially when there are so many new competitors appearing on the scene.
Prior to my stay at The Scotsman I had spent 2 nights at One Devonshire Gardens in Glasgow which was not only cheaper than my stay with yourselves but also in a totally different league.....truly stunning huge rooms, immaculate throughout, amazing service which all goes towards a memorable stay.
I also find it rather disappointing and a waste of time when you are asked to fill in a guest feedback form that you are not contacted by a memebr of the hotel management team to discuss the issues raised.

2 Thank TonyJLondon

I was sorry to hear that you return experience to the Scotsman did not meet your expectations from previous visits; we always endeavour to offer a 5 star standard of service and it appears that we have fallen below this standard.

Unfortunately I am unable to know exactly which 2 Editor rooms you stayed in as I do not have your personal details from this review, however I would like to assure you that my Maintenance Manager, Paul McNamara checks all external windows on a regular basis and has, since receiving your review confirmed that all the Editors room windows are secure. As I’m sure you are aware Edinburgh has, as much of the UK has, been battered by exceptionally strong winds over the last month and this may have contributed to the noise levels on the evening you stayed with us.

We are very proud of the traditional and quirky appearance that the Scotsman has and always endeavour to ensure that all of our rooms are kept up to date, clean and well maintained. I am sorry that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations and that you found the hotel to be in need of “revamping.”

With regards to your comments about breakfast I have spoken to my Food Services Manager, Samantha Slight and she has already addressed this with her team at her regular team meetings and training sessions. The service you have described is obviously not the standard at which we pride ourselves and I would like to sincerely apologise for this.

I appreciate you completing the guest comments card from your room and I am sorry that you were expecting a personal reply. All of our comments cards are logged and any issues resolved by the relevant managers; since the beginning of December we have only had one comments card mentioning noisy windows and there was no request for a further response from myself, I would like to apologise if this was your expectation.

I hope that will perhaps, in the future choose to return to the Scotsman and I would ask that you contact me directly to allow me to assist you with your reservation