“Fantastic staff, great location”
Review of The Scotsman Hotel

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #89 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic staff, great location”
Reviewed 25 January 2012

Really impressed by the hotel - the staff were very accomodating when our flight got cancelled due to snow.

My only complaint would be that the room was a little on the hot side despite adjusting the a/c

Great views over Edinburgh, comfortable room and approachable proffesional staff. The doorman in particular made you feel very welcome.

Will definately look them up when I return to Edinburgh.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel.
We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am pleased to see that you experienced the team’s professionalism and friendliness. It is always an inconvenience when travel plans are changed or cancelled at the last minute and I am pleased that we were able to ease some of this stress for you.

I am sorry that your room was not set at a heating level comfortable to you; I have spoken to my Maintenance Manager, Paul McNamara about this. He has thoroughly checked that the heating system in the room is operating as it should be with localised thermostatic controls. We are however, very aware of the fact that we should have had this room prepared better for your arrival.

Our doorman, Ivor has been with the Scotsman since our door’s opened in 2001 and is extremely knowledgeable not only about the hotel but about Edinburgh in general, I have passed your kind compliments onto Ivor and he was very appreciative of these.

It is a pleasure to hear that you will be returning to the Scotsman in the future and I look forward to welcoming you back

Thomas Graham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2012

I arrived before check-in time and my room was not yet ready. The friendly receptionist quickly conferred and not only could I get to my room but also got an upgrade. The porter, a friendly Scot showed me to the room and offered to help out with the features. I should have asked him so because I could hardly get the ste of the art room entertainment up and running. Niece spacious room with a view over Noth Bridge.
I did my meetings and decided to enjoy what the hotel had to offer. A great gym and an even better spa with pool.
Checking out was easy.
Perfect experience for a cold an rainy 24 hrs in Edinburgh.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel; as you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.

Our official check in time is 2pm however if we are able to accommodate our guests before this then we will always endeavour to do so. I always like to upgrade our guests where possible to add to their experience; I am very pleased to see that you were given the opportunity to enjoy one of our beautiful suites and that the standard was the high level at which we pride ourselves.

Our concierge team would normally ensure the entertainment system is explained as part of the introduction to your room; had you requested information during your stay, one of our team would have been more than happy to return to your room to assist you with this.

I am pleased you had the opportunity to enjoy our Health Club facilities included our wonderful stainless steel pool area and that we contributed to your “perfect experience” in Edinburgh

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2012

My wife and I stayed @ The Scotsman for her 30th Birthday weekend yesterday.
Staff are very friendly and although perhaps the Hotel could do with an renovation here and there, dont let that put you off staying at this hotel.

We were upgraded to a Suite (thank you!) and had a fabulous view of Edinburgh from our hotel room.
Hotel is very central (literally a few mins walk away from Waverley Station) and absolutely oozes atmosphere.

Hotel breakfast was excellent - all in all, a very enjoyable stay!

Hooe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2012

I booked two nights at the Scotsman as a 30th birthday treat for my partner. I booked a "study room" but on arrival we discovered that we had been upgraded to a "Deluxe room" with a city view. The room (603) was very nice but perhaps a little tired. The View was amazing looking over to the new town and Balmoral hotel, especaily at night with the lights of the city. The Bathroom was very nice (not tired at all). The bed was big and comfy and The mini bar was well stocked. The bedroom was a little tired; curtain pelmet broken, marks on the white walls and the carpet had seen better days. Without the wonderfull view the room would have been rather average and more 4* then 5* but the view certainly made up for that.

The hotel reception is very inviting with a lovely roaring fire and a very helpful doorman who couldn't do enough for us infact all the staff at the hotel were very friendly.

The spa is well equipped with a good size pool and jacuzzi and large gym.
The full Scottish breakfast was good but no vegetarian options. I think a 5* hotel should offer vegetarian sausages.

All in all a very good stay in a nice city hotel, would return!

1 Thank tfkjghfjmytf
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2012

I always like to upgrade our guests where possible to add to their experience; I am very pleased to see that you were given the opportunity to enjoy one of our beautiful Deluxe rooms and that the standard was the high level at which we pride ourselves.

I am sorry that you believed the room to appear “tired,” all of our rooms are subject to a rigorous maintenance, decoration and housekeeping schedule to endeavour to keep our rooms at the high level we are proudly known for. Our Maintenance Manager, Paul McNamara has been to check the curtain pelmet in room 603 and repaired this and I would like to apologise that this had not been more thoroughly checked prior to your arrival.
We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these and enjoyed your stay.
It is a pleasure to hear that you will be returning to stay with us in the future and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Scotsman

London
Reviewed 17 January 2012

We received a very warm welcome to the hotel and the room was of high quality, the bed was particularly comfortable. The service at front of house was excellent both at check in and check out and the staff were very helpful throughout our stay.

The one dissapointment was the bar, on returning to the hotel after a meal in Edinburgh we were told that the bar was closng for the night, at about 10:30pm, strange behaviour in these times of austerity, we though they would be pleased to serve us on what appeared to be a very quiet night in the bar.

We therefore went to the bar at the Balmoral Hotel (a two minute walk away) where the staff were more than happy to serve drinks. The bar had a great atmosphere and we would recommend it to others for post dinner drinks.

Unfortunately the service in the Bar at the Scotsman stopped it getting a top rating on this occasion.

Room Tip: I had room 808 - which has a good mini office in one of the turrets with great views over Edinburgh
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank LondonDinky
Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments and would like to take this opportunity to respond to the points you have made.

I would like to apologise that you were informed our bar would be closing at 10.30pm, our normal closing time is 11.30pm and even after that time we like to offer our guests the comfort of our Vermillion residents lounge to sit and enjoy further drinks as long as they wish. I have spoken to my Food Services Manager, Samantha Slight who has already addressed this with her bar team.

I hope that you will choose to return to the Scotsman in the future and allow us the opportunity to redeem our good name.

glasgow
Reviewed 15 January 2012

A spur of the moment weekend, had a Bannatyne Spa day voucher to use on Queen Street, so decided to make a weekend of it and book a hotel. This is the first time I have stayed in The Scotsman, always been put off by my presumption that as it is on the main tourist drag service would be rubbish. How wrong was I?

Firstly, if your driving to Edinburgh, please do take up the discounted offer of car parking at the Waverley Train Station. Even without the discount, all day parking on a Saturday or a Sunday is £4!!!

I received outstanding customer service and loved the atmosphere and character of the hotel, as well as the additional quirks such as the Edinburgh version of Monopoly embedded in the tables in the bedrooms. Yep the bedrooms are small but hey, this was the headquarters of a newspaper after all!

The spa facilities were great (although do take care getting in and out of the swimming pool steps- I have a huge bruise on my foot as a result of my clumsiness)

Loved the breakfast, plenty choice and as much as you can eat!

My only complaints about the hotel:

1. Breakfast was understaffed resulting in a bit of a wait to get a waiter's attention
2. My partner's Old Fashioned cocktail was under- stirred, but soon rectified itself with all the other amazing cocktails we tried.
3. The steps (or lack of) in/out of the pool. Bit of a hazard there.

When out the hotel. we would recommend walking over the bridge to Princes Street and have drinks in the Bollinger bar within the Balmoral Bar/Hotel, across the road you get a great selection of ales in the Guildford Arms pub, round the corner is another great Cocktail bar (with good music/atmosphere etc) Voodoo Rooms. Fingers crossed when Harvey Nicks' Fourth Floor Bar reopens for its tenth anniversary in 2013, the service charge will apply to customer service instead of daylight robbery and crap service/atmosphere/cleanliness!

Oh and for food- Tex Mex just off Queen Street. Fantastic food and frozen margaritas are a must!! Also Gurkha Brigade on Antigua Street down from the playhouse theatre. True Nepalese Food- get MoMo as a starter.

Enjoy :D

Room Tip: Be like the chairman of the board and book the Penthouse, or if you're a commoner like us opt fo...
2 Thank fran853

As you have kindly said, even though we sit in the wonderfully convenient position of North Bridge, between the Royal Mile and the iconic Princes Street we understand the importance of delivering a personal, professional and friendly service and I was pleased to hear that you experienced all of these during your stay.

I was pleased to read that you took us up on the offer of our discounted parking rate at Waverley train station, as you have said it is an excellent rate for city centre parking and being less than 5 minutes from the hotel a real advantage.

All of our rooms and suites are individually sized due to the renovation from the newspaper offices in 2001; perhaps next time you visit we can arrange for a different style of room where you would be happier with the size.

I was extremely concerned to hear about your injury during your time here, I have checked our accident records and found no record of this incident being reported to our team in the Health Club; I hope that your foot has healed quickly and your “clumsiness” has not left too much evidence!

Thank you for your kind compliments regarding our fantastic 18ft breakfast buffet; our Executive Head Chef, Paul Hart has taken time and care to develop an outstanding service and offers freshly, cooked to order, dishes as well as the vast array of fruit, breads, cereals, juices, meats and cheese on the buffet.

I would like to apologise for the lack of service received during breakfast and the standard of your husband’s cocktail, I have already addressed these issues with my Food Services Manager, Samantha Slight and can assure you that this is not the standard we endeavour to deliver.

The Scotsman Penthouse used to be the pigeon lofts of the newspaper and now represents a wonderful 2 floor suite encompassing superb roof top views across Edinburgh, its own sauna and living room and is the only room with a balcony offering views of Edinburgh Castle. Perhaps, if you return you can enjoy a “chairman’s” experience in our Penthouse?

I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the Scotsman in the future

Berwick upon Tweed
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Went to see the "King and I" with my wife as part of my Xmas present to her on the Friday after New Year. Decided to stay at the Scotsman as an extra treat. People were very friendly and the room was great. However a couple of negatives. The food in the restraurant was pretty plain (perhaps because we were choosing from the "theatre menu") and the vegetarian option for my wife was "pretty tasteless", in her words. The night time sleep was pretty disrupted due to the sheets on the bed irritating the skin. Again perhaps too much starch as it felt like light sandpaper when you turned over. Still the rest of the hotel stay was excellent and the reception staff and porters were very efficient and made us feel very welcome.

1 Thank EastOrdMan
With regards to your comments about the “plain food” in the restaurant I was surprised and concerned by this as the majority of our guests rave about our 1 rosette standard food and our Executive Head Chef, Paul Hart takes great pride in offering imaginative and inspired food through all of his menus. The Pre-Theatre menu is simply a smaller version of our main a’ la carte menu and would certainly not be cooked to any less standard. I would like to apologise that we did not meet your personal expectations during your visit to the Brasserie.
You have commented about the feel of the bed sheets; I can confirm that we do use a very small amount of starch on our sheets, as I’m sure the majority of hotels do however, we certainly do not over starch them. As I’m sure you can appreciate all of our guests have their own individual tastes when it comes to bed sheets and covers and I am sorry that we did not meet yours.
It is a pleasure to read that our staff made you feel welcome and I hope that you will choose to return to the Scotsman in the future