“AMAZING STAY ! At the Scotsman”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Scotsman Hotel

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #89 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Gourock, United Kingdom
“AMAZING STAY ! At the Scotsman”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

I never leave reviews on hotels I've stayed at due to lack of time etc, however I feel the Scotsman and its staff deserve it !
I booked the stay or my sister and I for a chill out pamper break, I called hotel prior to our stay and requested twin beds. After being warmly welcomed and our bags lifed to check in we found out we had been upgraded to a beautiful room on the third floor.
Ross from front of house staff took us to our room and showed us around, he told us about the room and what it was before, our room was an editors office, has to be the best room we have stayed in, amazing original features, wood paneling and the most comfortable beds.
We had a few issues with working lights etc, but Ross helped us out and rectifyed our issues straight away, we even got complimentary drinks for the inconvenience.
Ross and the staff made us feel so welcome and looked after us well.
Great hotel, location, charm, staff and service !
We will definitely be back !

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel; as you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.
It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s reviews and an added bonus when I hear that you specifically took the time to offer such a complimentary review. We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these and enjoyed your stay.
I would like to thank you for your kind compliments about Ross from our Concierge team; Ross is an experienced and knowledgeable member of our Concierge team and I have already passed on your comments to him and my Front of House Manager, Andrew Boe. I was pleased to hear that, although you suffered small problems with the lights Ross was able to resolve these straight away and that you enjoyed our gesture of goodwill of complimentary drinks.
I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Scotsman in the future
Thomas Graham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

Checked in by really welcoming,happy staff who up-graded us to a suite which is fantastic.staff are so helpful, facilities are wonderful,location spot on, just a brilliant experience all round. Big thanks to the staff for really enhancing our Edinburgh experience.

• Stayed January 2012
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel.
We like to deliver a truly 5 star “Scotsman” experience to our guests; our staff always endeavouring to be professional, friendly and offer the very best service at all times, I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these throughout your stay.
Edinburgh is such a vibrant, cultural and enjoyable city to visit so to hear that we “enhanced your Edinburgh experience” is a true compliment and one that I would like to thank you for.
We hope that you will choose to return to our capital and also the Scotsman in the future and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Pasadena, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

From what we read here and elsewhere, The Scotsman promised to be a perfect stay for my 50th birthday in July 2010. Close to many places we wanted to see, historic and grand itself, we had high hopes. However, the surly check-in staff did not make our first experience here a pleasant one. Our large room (like a suite) was quite comfortable, even though it needed updating. The Scottish breakfasts were tasty, but not of the quality of a true 5-star establishment. While our experience here would have been good for a 4-star hotel, for a 5-star one, it was disappointing. We had wished we booked at the Balmoral just across the bridge for that elegant 5-star stay, or at the nearby Radisson Blu for a more "hip" 4-star experience.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MusicProfessor60
Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.

I was very concerned and a little surprised to hear that you found our front of house staff to be “surly,” as you have mentioned, the majority of the reviews on websites such as Trip Advisor rave about the friendliness, professionalism and accommodating staff at the Scotsman. Unfortunately you have not elaborated as to why you developed this opinion of our staff and so I am unable to offer to investigate this further for you. I would like to offer my apologies that you left with this impression and ensure you that we always endeavour to deliver the high standard of service for which we are proudly known.

With regards to your comments about our breakfast, I am glad that you found the food to be “tasty” but unsure how we did not reach the “quality of a true 5 star establishment.” Our large 18ft buffet contains a wonderful variety of breads, cheeses and meat, fruit, cereals, fresh juices and bakery selections as well as our breakfast chef cooking all hot dishes freshly and to order I believe our breakfast selection to be one of the best in Edinburgh and our Executive Head Chef, Paul Hart has won awards for his Haggis Breakfast.

I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your stay and hope that should you choose to return to stay with us in the future we can have the opportunity of changing your mind.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

Really impressed by the hotel - the staff were very accomodating when our flight got cancelled due to snow.

My only complaint would be that the room was a little on the hot side despite adjusting the a/c

Great views over Edinburgh, comfortable room and approachable proffesional staff. The doorman in particular made you feel very welcome.

Will definately look them up when I return to Edinburgh.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am pleased to see that you experienced the team’s professionalism and friendliness. It is always an inconvenience when travel plans are changed or cancelled at the last minute and I am pleased that we were able to ease some of this stress for you.

I am sorry that your room was not set at a heating level comfortable to you; I have spoken to my Maintenance Manager, Paul McNamara about this. He has thoroughly checked that the heating system in the room is operating as it should be with localised thermostatic controls. We are however, very aware of the fact that we should have had this room prepared better for your arrival.

Our doorman, Ivor has been with the Scotsman since our door’s opened in 2001 and is extremely knowledgeable not only about the hotel but about Edinburgh in general, I have passed your kind compliments onto Ivor and he was very appreciative of these.

It is a pleasure to hear that you will be returning to the Scotsman in the future and I look forward to welcoming you back

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

I arrived before check-in time and my room was not yet ready. The friendly receptionist quickly conferred and not only could I get to my room but also got an upgrade. The porter, a friendly Scot showed me to the room and offered to help out with the features. I should have asked him so because I could hardly get the ste of the art room entertainment up and running. Niece spacious room with a view over Noth Bridge.
I did my meetings and decided to enjoy what the hotel had to offer. A great gym and an even better spa with pool.
Checking out was easy.
Perfect experience for a cold an rainy 24 hrs in Edinburgh.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business

Our official check in time is 2pm however if we are able to accommodate our guests before this then we will always endeavour to do so. I always like to upgrade our guests where possible to add to their experience; I am very pleased to see that you were given the opportunity to enjoy one of our beautiful suites and that the standard was the high level at which we pride ourselves.

Our concierge team would normally ensure the entertainment system is explained as part of the introduction to your room; had you requested information during your stay, one of our team would have been more than happy to return to your room to assist you with this.

I am pleased you had the opportunity to enjoy our Health Club facilities included our wonderful stainless steel pool area and that we contributed to your “perfect experience” in Edinburgh

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

My wife and I stayed @ The Scotsman for her 30th Birthday weekend yesterday.
Staff are very friendly and although perhaps the Hotel could do with an renovation here and there, dont let that put you off staying at this hotel.

We were upgraded to a Suite (thank you!) and had a fabulous view of Edinburgh from our hotel room.
Hotel is very central (literally a few mins walk away from Waverley Station) and absolutely oozes atmosphere.

Hotel breakfast was excellent - all in all, a very enjoyable stay!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Hooe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

I booked two nights at the Scotsman as a 30th birthday treat for my partner. I booked a "study room" but on arrival we discovered that we had been upgraded to a "Deluxe room" with a city view. The room (603) was very nice but perhaps a little tired. The View was amazing looking over to the new town and Balmoral hotel, especaily at night with the lights of the city. The Bathroom was very nice (not tired at all). The bed was big and comfy and The mini bar was well stocked. The bedroom was a little tired; curtain pelmet broken, marks on the white walls and the carpet had seen better days. Without the wonderfull view the room would have been rather average and more 4* then 5* but the view certainly made up for that.

The hotel reception is very inviting with a lovely roaring fire and a very helpful doorman who couldn't do enough for us infact all the staff at the hotel were very friendly.

The spa is well equipped with a good size pool and jacuzzi and large gym.
The full Scottish breakfast was good but no vegetarian options. I think a 5* hotel should offer vegetarian sausages.

All in all a very good stay in a nice city hotel, would return!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tfkjghfjmytf
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2012

I always like to upgrade our guests where possible to add to their experience; I am very pleased to see that you were given the opportunity to enjoy one of our beautiful Deluxe rooms and that the standard was the high level at which we pride ourselves.

I am sorry that you believed the room to appear “tired,” all of our rooms are subject to a rigorous maintenance, decoration and housekeeping schedule to endeavour to keep our rooms at the high level we are proudly known for. Our Maintenance Manager, Paul McNamara has been to check the curtain pelmet in room 603 and repaired this and I would like to apologise that this had not been more thoroughly checked prior to your arrival.
It is a pleasure to hear that you will be returning to stay with us in the future and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Scotsman