“Great hotel.”
Review of The Scotsman Hotel

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #84 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Only got to stay one night unfortunately, would've loved to stay for a month or two. We got bumped up into an Editor's Suite, which was outstanding. The building is fantastic and the rooms, views, comforts were superb. Every staff member we came into contact with was friendly and helpful. Glad we decided to stay, even for just the one night.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2012

We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am pleased to see that you experienced the team’s professionalism and friendliness.

I always like to upgrade our guests where possible to add to their experience; I am very pleased to see that you were given the opportunity to enjoy one of our beautiful suites and that the standard was the high level at which we pride ourselves.
I hope that will return to stay with us in the future and look forward to perhaps welcoming you back to the Scotsman

Reviewed 14 April 2012

We loved this hotel. The service was welcoming and attentive. The rooms were spacious, gorgeous and had every amenity (even complimentary Scotch and shortbread). The best part of this hotel is that it really feels like Scotland. The hotel does all it can to give the traveler a Scottish welcome.

Room Tip: This hotel is in an old newspaper publishing building and it is beautiful. We stayed on the 8th flo...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these and enjoyed your stay.
As the Scotsman has always been such an iconic building in Edinburgh we have endeavoured to ensure that we offer our guests as much of a small taste of Scotland that we can, this is right from our Scotch and shortbread in our suites that you enjoyed to the tartans in our rooms, traditional Scottish favourites on our menus and great portraits of Edinburgh attractions throughout the building.
I hope that you will return to stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Reviewed 13 April 2012

We were in Edinburgh for a few days for a short break, having never visited before. We found all of the staff in this hotel to be amazing and all very friendly and helpful. Hayley on the desk was great as was Ross the porter and all the other staff we came across, they are a great asset to this hotel. On check in we were told that we'd been upgraded to a better room- always a result! The room was a very good size and very comfortable, our particular room had a decent view from the bay window over the North Bridge and beyond. Everything we needed was there and it was all very comfortable. The room might need a spruce up soon to keep it looking top notch, but really it was more than comfortable as it was.

Didn't have a breakfast in the hotel as it seemed a bit steep (there are many great cafes in Edinburgh serving tasty breakfasts), but we did have a drink in the bar one night and it had a good atmosphere and an excellent selection of cocktails, whiskies and wines etc.

It was a bit of a maze to find the spa, but the odd layout contributed to the character of the place somewhat. The spa facilities were on the whole excellent, jacuzzi, steam room, pool, sauna all set out quite nicely so it was relaxing even though it was entirely underground.

In all The Scotsman contributed to a fantastic time in Edinburgh, I'd definitely recommend a stay here.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.
We like to deliver a truly 5 star “Scotsman” experience to our guests; our staff always endeavouring to be professional, friendly and offer the very best service at all times, I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these throughout your stay. I would like to thank you for your personal compliments regarding Haley and Ross and I have already passed these onto them as well as my Front of House Manager, Andrew Boe.
I always like to upgrade our guests where possible to add to their experience; I am very pleased to see that you were given the opportunity to enjoy one of our beautiful suites and that the standard was the high level at which we pride ourselves as well as enjoying some of the fantastic views we have across Edinburgh.

You have commented that you found the breakfast to “be a bit steep” I would like to offer you my assurance that we ensure our prices are in line, if not less than other city centre, 5 star hotels. As you will see from the majority of the reviews on sites such as Trip Advisor our breakfast receives great praise and we get a large number of non-residents regularly coming to enjoy the huge variety on our buffet as well as the freshly cooked hot dishes we offer.

Our Healthclub facilities are housed in what used to be the printing presses from when the hotel was the famous Scotsman Newspaper; I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your relaxing time with us and the “excellent” facilities throughout the pool area that we offer.

Its always a pleasure to read our guests reviews and to hear that you will be recommending us to friends and family is an added bonus; we look forward to possibly welcoming you back to the Scotsman in the future

Reviewed 11 April 2012

The scotsman seems to want to be a five star hotel from the Edwardian era and at the same time pass himself of as being a world hotel fit for the 21st century with all the amenties a 21st century guest would expect from a hotel in the 21st century(wifi conection). However this greed for both ends of the business spectrum(clients after a break from the urban and those on a busy vocation it fails. The wifi conection was poor there was a desk at the top of the suite but everytime I sat down to do some work conection failed. In fact if I wanted to get online I had to go five floors down on almost every ocasionThe bathroom door was as creeky as a biter old spinster. Although the room from an astetic point of view was beutifull and relaxing from a practical point of view it was lacking. Example the iron board had to be moved from the front of the room all the way past the bedroom to the makeshit study in order to conect with the sole plug socket in order to simply iron a shirt. Hardly my idea of a a five star room. The dvd and tv was worse then basic range Argos. They clean the rooms twice a day(pleasant ) and leave a free botle of complementry tap water in a fancy bottle.(cheap attempt at customer service?)
The room was noisy I informed the receptionsit he could not care less. On the morning of check out I paid for the room and went and bought a breakfast paid for before leaving the restuant. the manager on duty when I asked her for the bill acknowledged then she saw some Ameircans($?)adopted a fake American acent and forgot about me altogether. When I eventully got the atention of an overworked sole waitress she got me the bill I wanted to leave a tip yet cause I had no cash for some reason there was no option to do this via chip/Pin, unlike many other reputable restaurants.I would imagine that a fair amount of tips is missed by the waiting staff in these instances.
Like most departing guests I was in a rush I was wrongfully detained by the receptionist Hayley who stated I had not paid for the breakfast I asured her I had. In any case the hotel had my card details however like a bored provincial shop keeper eager to catch a shoplifter if not able to a customer, she kept on asking me to pay the £12 for breakfast the figure was actually closer to £16 however this demonstates the hotels substandard com system. They also tried to charge me twice for a bottle of water from the mini bar despite the fact that I had paid for it on the night of my arrival however it appears Hayle(who I paid for the bottle) had forgot to inform the bar management team. I told her if she would wait a minute I would show her the recept I had to ask for one since they did not give recepts in the resturant automatically. Obviously British customer service being what it is one must always prepare for the daily incomptance of uk retailers. After keeping me waiting for a long time( she went over to the resturant came back) handed me the recept without much of a apology .
This is the first five star hotel I have ever stayed in however it is overated. people from Glasgow often unfairly say "Edinburgh is a city all fur and nay nickers":However if they said that about the Scotsman as a hotel; They would be spot on.

Stayed March 2012

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank ttocha
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2012

Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.
I must admit that following our direct and personal correspondence about the issues you raised, I am saddened that you felt the need to post a review onto a website such as Trip Advisor, however I completely appreciate that you are entirely in your right to do this.
In my previous letter to you I feel that I have already addressed the issues you have raised and sincerely apologised, as I would like to do once again, that an error was made on your booking in relation to the breakfast charges.
I would like to assure you that our staff always endeavour to deliver a 5 standard of service and this can be seen in the majority of fantastic reviews that you can see throughout many websites such as Trip Advisor. I was concerned that you found our staff to “not care less” and I would like apologise that you have this opinion as I can assure you this is not the case.
As I mentioned in my letter to you, in relation to both this review and your previous emails I must respectfully admit that I find some of your comments personal and not required. I understand that we have not delivered the standard of service to you that you have expected and for this I am truly sorry.

Reviewed 11 April 2012

We stayed in this hotel in march and to be honest I felt really upset at the attitude of management. During our stay there were heavy engineering works right beneath our window - and I mean heavy it was the type of thing that you hear about on holidays from hell; which woke us up early each day. On the final night the works went on through the night. Initially we were told that he hotel knew nothing about the works, but were subsequently informed that they did but because the works were and I quote "outside their control" they do not feel that they have an obligation to inform guests. Basically we got about 2 hours sleep. To add insult to injury the fire alarm went off twice in the early hours - again we subsequently discovered that this is a regular occurrence. But the worse hing has been the disgraceful attitude of he management whose attitude is its nothing to do with us (they did offer a good will gesture of an upgrade on a future visit, however I will not be taking them up on this as do not want to stay here ever again). This is a shame as it is a great building with some great staff but dealing with this establishment has left a very nasty taste.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank YorkMinnie
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Stayed at the Scotsman on 9th April. Staff from the doorman, Richard , Laura at reception, room maids and restaurant staff where all attentive and welcoming. Upgraded to room 801, champagne and flowers delivered to room, water and bed turned downed offered, which was lovely also room had wonderful views over the city. Spa facilities where grand. Dinner and breakfast just outstanding. We will be back thank you the Scotsman. Ms Mcewan

Room Tip: Eat at the restaurant
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

I would like to thank you for your kind compliments about our team here at the Scotsman and in particular Richard and Laura; I have already personally passed your review onto them and my Front of House Manager, Andrew Boe.
It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s reviews and to hear that you will be returning to stay with us is an added bonus; we look forward to welcoming you back Ms McEwen

Reviewed 10 April 2012

We have stayed in The Scotsman before and enjoyed the luxury, the modern conversion and the food. This time I was with a friend for a treat on our way further up north where I was working. We ate in the Brasserie on the evening of our arrival which was rather crowed and we had to wait over an hour to be served and ended up eating very late indeed. During the night I had sudden vomiting and had diarrohea which lasted for 2 days, leaving me weak and unable to eat much for the next day or two after that. The staff were very helpful, cleaning the bathroom for me, but I was unable to leave the next day as I was still very ill and we had to pay to stay a further night. I explained to the staff that I thought the meal in the Brasserie could have been the cause of my illness as I had not eaten anywhere else, the symptoms came on a couple of hours after eating and my friend ate different food and was fine. The sort of food that I had eaten has a high risk of this kind of thing although I normally have a strong constitution and do not suffer with my digestion. I didn't act fast enough and was too ill to think of testing for food poisoning or informing the Environmental Health. They did not offer any sort of discount for the second night and would not admit any responsibility or even any sympathy for the terrible experience.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank deejaygasworks

I am extremely sorry to hear that you were unwell during your stay with us; I understand that our team spoke to your friend whilst you were with us and offered medical assistance to you which was declined and the extra night was arranged for you as requested by yourselves.

I hope that you will choose to return to the Scotsman in the future and ask that you contact me directly should you require any assistance.