“Great location, great staff.”
Review of The Scotsman Hotel

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #78 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 4 May 2012

This hotel had great first impressions. The staff were efficient, friendly and approachable, and Nick the concierge was exceptional and advised us about our trip to visit the Pandas at the zoo. The social areas were fairly impressive both in decor and furnishings, within this beautiful old building. The room was large but I'm unsure if it reached the 5 star standard to be honest. The carpet was wrinkled and slightly shabby looking. Having said that, the view was awesome, looking towards Princes Street in one direction and the bridge in the other. Some nice touches though and well equipped, with practical items such as nail files (which was handy as I broke a perfectly manicured nail!) Finding the leisure facilities was a bit of a challenge and once I got there it was a bit on the dark side, conducive to relaxation I guess, but slightly risky with so much water about. It was a bit over priced, considering that we were expected to pay extra for breakfast. Also, I bought a souvenir crossword mug for my mother at a steep price, only for it to crack after a few uses. Not sure if I'd return, given that I've stayed in some hotels which are just as special but much cheaper.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the station have a fabulous view. Some even have beautifully shaped windows. There...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2012

Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.
I would like to thank you for your kind compliments about Nick and I have already personally passed these onto him and my Front of House Manager, Andrew Boe. We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these and enjoyed your stay.
I am sorry that your room did not meet your expectations; the Swimming pool area lighting is designed to be atmospheric and relaxing although I do appreciate that this may not be to all of our guests tastes. I was also concerned to hear that the mug you bought cracked on using it and would ask that you contact me directly to allow me to replace this for you as a gesture of goodwill.
I would like to assure you that we offer competitive rates throughout the year on all of our rooms an suites in line with other 5 star city centre hotels and I should you change your mind about returning I would ask that you contact our reservations department directly for our best available rate.
I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the Scotsman
Thomas Graham

Write a ReviewReviews (2,526)

Reviewed 3 May 2012

fantastic location between the market and the royal mile!
helpfull friendly staff .our room was spatious and comfortable with all the proper facilities.bed comfy wireless internet free.breakfast was excellent!definitely i would return

Room Tip: avoid rooms overlooking waverley station
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.
We like to deliver a truly 5 star “Scotsman” experience to our guests; our staff always endeavouring to be professional, friendly and offer the very best service at all times, I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these throughout your stay.
It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s reviews and to hear that you will be returning is an added bonus; I look forward to welcoming you back to the Scotsman in the future. Please contact me directly or my Operations Manager, Claire Thomas to allow us to assist you with your reservation

Reviewed 27 April 2012

I shall start with the positives;
Fantastic location in the heart of Edinburgh. Minutes to Princes Street, The Royal Mile, Grassmarket....
The staff are fantastic and couldnt have been more accomodating - first class.
The restaurant provides great food and sits directly onto the street so you can watch the hustle and bustle from insiide.
I didn't venture as far down into the basement for the Spa, so cannot comment.

Now the negatives.... which is really only one and that is the bedrooms are not of 5star standard - we stayed in a Deluxe room and the carpet and furniture was pretty ropey. The rooms was tired could really do with a bit of updating. The hallways and particularly the stairs are terribly dated.

Other than that I would highly recommoend this hotel, just don't expect too much of the rooms iteself.

1  Thank Farnhammummy

We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am pleased to see that you experienced the team’s professionalism and friendliness.

I was pleased to read that our enviable location was something which you enjoyed so much as well as the wonderful food and of course “people watching” you indulged in, in our Brasserie.

I am sorry that our rooms did not meet your personal expectations; we are very proud to regularly be given our 5 star status with the AA, Leading Hotels of the World and Visit Scotland and our Maintenance team work hard with a decoration and painting schedule that runs throughout the year for all areas of the hotel. I do however appreciate that the traditional style of the hotel may not be to everyone’s tastes.

I would like to thank you for recommending us and hope that you will return in the future.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Have just returned from a stay in the Scotsman and it certainly lived up to its 5 star rating. The staff were excellent and nothing was too much bother for them. Our suite, comprising of a large lounge and a bedroom with en-suite bathroom, was immaculate. The food was also well presented and the quality of the food was in accordance with our expectations. Did not use the spa but it certainly looked tempting. The central location of the hotel means that there is no on-site parking available at the hotel but they do have a discounted access to a local multi storey car park that is nearby.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

I was pleased to see that you had the opportunity of enjoying one of our sumptuous suites and that it was at the high standard for which we are proudly known. I have passed on your kind compliments regarding the meal you enjoyed to our Executive Head Chef, Paul Hart and his brigade.

As you have mentioned although we don’t provide a car park at the hotel; our guests receive a discounted rate at the local public car park which is only a 3 minute walk away from the Scotsman; as one of the traditional Victorian buildings in the city we are unable to accommodate our own car park.

I hope that you will return to the Scotsman and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Reviewed 22 April 2012

This hotel well and truely justifies it's 5-stars! Friendly reception and concierge, fantastic rooms and the suite that we had overlooking the town was stunning. Nothing seems too much trouble for the staff either.

The bar is relaxing and not overpriced and the residents' lounge is comfortable, sporting unusual tables!! We didn't use the pool, gym or cinema.

We got a fantastic rate for this hotel through their own website and we will definately be back to stay again. Very convenient for shopping and only 10 yards from Waverly station - there is an entrance at station level, with a lift, on Market Street - so don't try the stairs!!

Room Tip: Room 703 is top floor overlooking the city - fantastic!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

We endeavour to ensure that our prices are competitive with any other 5 star city centre hotel and I was pleased to read that you found this to be the case for both your stay and drinks in our North Bridge Brasserie. Our Resident’s Vermillion Lounge is a great area for relaxing, watching TV, reading and generally taking some time out and as you have mentioned, some of our coffee tables are unique items and well worth a look!

Our entrance on Market Street really is a great advantage for those guests arriving on the airport buses or from Waverley Station and I totally agree that the lift is definitely the best option!

It is always a pleasure to read our guests reviews and to hear that you will be returning to stay with us again in the future is an added bonus; we look forward to welcoming you back to the Scotsman

Reviewed 21 April 2012

Recently had the pleasure of spending two nights in this hotel , now we all complain when we are abroad about 5 star rated hotels, we simply compare them to the star ratings back home. Edinburgh is a fantastic place for a visit, therefore we looked foreward to spending our nights in The Scotsman, staff could not have been more helpful, the food is wonderful especially breakfast . Rooms are clean with most comfortable beds, my poor wife had to work on the Saturday at the Dynamic Earth, as her company was involved in an Aesthetics Practisioners Seminar. Happy to return asap and enjoy the surrounds, first class.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Our Executive Head Chef, Paul Hart is very proud of the huge selection on our breakfast buffet ranging from freshly baked pastries and muffins, to a variety of cereals, fresh fruit, cheeses and meats; as well as this our breakfast Chef cooks all hot selections fresh and to order and I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed the food so much.
It was good to hear that your wife managed to find some time after her meeting to rejoin you and enjoy the other facilities that we have to offer.
We look forward to your return to Edinburgh and the Scotsman in the future

Reviewed 21 April 2012

I recently spent a night at the Scotsman Hotel.The rooms were luxurious and very comfortable. I enjoyed a couple of hours in the Leisure complex which consisted of a good sized swimming pool,sauna,steam room and jacuzzi.
I was really looking forward to breakfast. There was a large selection of cereals, fruit juices yoghurts and fruit salad. I ordered scrambled eggs,smoked salmon and mushrooms.I was really disappointed at the appearance of the scrambled eggs,it looked "grey" and not in the least bit appetizing! I know from experience in the catering industry that "liquid egg" is often used to scramble eggs.Not a good idea.
Had I known this I would have ordered poached eggs which can only be made from fresh eggs in a shell !! The coffee and toast were most enjoyable but I don't like the minute pots of jam,marmalade and honey.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank welltravelledlady44

I was very pleased to hear that you found our rooms “luxurious and comfortable,” this is exactly the service that we endeavour to deliver and that we are proudly known for.

With regards to your comments about your scrambled eggs at breakfast I would like to offer my sincere apologies that you did not enjoy these. I would like to respectfully confirm that all of our hot dishes are cooked fresh and that we do not use “liquid egg” in any of our dishes. I have already spoken to our Executive Head Chef, Paul Hart and he was concerned to hear your comments and would also like to apologise that his Chef did not meet your personal expectations.

You have commented on the “minute pots” that are used for the jams and marmalade; these are individual pots given for each guest and I am certain that the same are used throughout many hotels. I believe that this is a much nicer and more hygienic option than jam or marmalade spooned from a larger pot into a dish, however I do appreciate that this may not be to everyone’s tastes and I am sorry this was the case for you.

I hope that you will return to Edinburgh and choose the Scotsman in the future and I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back