“Best of Scotland”
Review of The Scotsman Hotel

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #83 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 24 May 2012

If you are looking for quality & class in Edinburgh look no further, having been extremely disappointed arriving at the Glasshouse (dirty rooms), we cancelled our room & spoke with Josephine at the Scotsman; who was amazing & sorted out an excellent room at very short notice. My fianceé & I were blown away with the customer service from all the staff who were bright & friendly!!

Amazing job guys well done!!

• Stayed: May 2012
3  Thank Russsy
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Operations Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2012

Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.

We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am pleased to see that you experienced the team’s professionalism and friendliness. I have already passed your kind compliments personally onto Josefine as well as our Front of House Manager, Andrew Boe.

It is always a pleasure to read our guests reviews and to hear that we were able to assist in turning around a potentially poor experience into an “amazing” one is an added bonus. We hope that if you choose to return to Edinburgh, The Scotsman will be your first choice.

There are newer reviews for The Scotsman Hotel

Reviewed 23 May 2012

We spent a single night, taking advantage of East Coast's bargain 1st class rail fares . On arrival we were made very welcome & upgraded to a room at the top of the hotel which we really enjoyed . If we had to single out staff for special mention, they would be the barman at lunchtime and the concierges. We will certainly return.

Room Tip: Go for a room as high up as possible.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

I always like to upgrade our guests where possible to add to their experience; I am very pleased to see that you were given the opportunity to enjoy one of our beautiful suites and that the standard was the high level at which we pride ourselves.
We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these and enjoyed your stay.
I hope that you will choose to return to Edinburgh and the Scotsman in the future and I look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed 17 May 2012

My husband and myself visited Edinburgh for a couple of days, to chill out and stayed at the Scotsman hotel where our stay was excellent , the staff can't do enough for you and the rooms are very spacious and comfortable, breakfast is excellent ,ordered room service for breakfast and it came spot on time requested, also the spa facilities are very good ,nice place to relax will return.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

We like to deliver a truly 5 star “Scotsman” experience to our guests; our staff always endeavouring to be professional, friendly and offer the very best service at all times, I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these throughout your stay.
As the Scotsman, we were originally home to the famous Scotsman newspaper and are very proud that when the renovation took place to become the hotel it is today, a lot of the traditional features were kept. This means that all of our rooms are individually sized and styled giving a real feeling of originality and quality to all of our rooms and suites.
It is a pleasure to hear that you will be returning to stay with us in the future and I look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed 14 May 2012

The room's weren't big but nice.
The joint is pretty posh and has all the services you require.
The hotel is located in a terrific spot.
I got a decent deal on expedia.

1  Thank CRAIG G
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2012

I was pleased to hear that you found such an “excellent” deal and hope that you will contact us directly should you choose to return to allow us to assist you with your reservation.
I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the Scotsman

Reviewed 11 May 2012

Stayed there last weekend as a special treat. Rooms booked were a junior twin suite and a superior twin.Special request was for Champagne in both rooms and baloons in the suite.
Arrived at 10.00 am and reconfirmed requirements at reception. Rooms were not ready which was fine, asked would it be possible to have tea and toast and were shown to the restaurant. We explained that we just required tea and toast, not breakfast, and were told that was no problem.
We were subsequently charged for 4 continental breakfasts. When we went to our rooms we were both given doubles, the baloons and champagne, which should have been a surprise, were put into the double instead of the suite and there was no champagne in the suite- not a great start. The concierge said that he would sort this out but it never happened.There was a note with the Champagne saying please enjoy the complimentary nibbles- they never materialised.
Reception area needed a good polish, dust everywhere and the entire hotel reeked of smoke from the open fireplace, apart from the restaurant which reeked of kippers.
A very poor five star experience and for over 1,500 sterling for 2 rooms for 2 nights, not one I would recommend.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Derek148

Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.

I have spoken to my Revenue Manager, Andrew Brown in relation to your reservation and found that the information regarding the Champagne and balloons had been incorrectly transferred in our system; I would like to offer you my sincere apologies for this and assure you that this obvious training requirement has already been addressed. We always endeavour to offer our guests a 5 star standard of service and it is clear to me that we fell far below this during your visit.

We have designed our reception area to be as welcoming as possible; by having a roaring fire burning at all times and comfortable sofas we hope that our guests feel warm and looked after during their first moments in the hotel. As part of the Edinburgh City Council requirements we burn smokeless coal in our fireplace and so we do not normally suffer from the smell of smoke being strong throughout the reception area; I do appreciate however that some of our guests may find the smell stronger than others and I would like to apologise that you did not enjoy this warming welcome.

With regards to your comments about the kippers smell in the restaurant; during breakfast we are very pleased to have our breakfast Chef utilising the kitchen in the restaurant area meaning that we can cook guest’s orders fresh and it allows our guests to see him in action. I’m sure you can appreciate that if one of our guests orders fresh kippers there will be a slight, but not lingering odour from this as there would be in their own home.

I am sorry that your stay did not meet with your expectations and should you change your mind and decide to return to Edinburgh and the Scotsman please contact me directly to allow me to assist with your reservation.

Reviewed 9 May 2012

Everything about this hotel was great, special mention has to go to Nick who did everything he could to make our short stay special. Great location, brilliant rooms, lovely staff, top spa / gym area. Top place.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Nina D

I have personally passed on your kind compliments to Nick as well as to my Front of House Manager, Andrew Boe; Nick is a very valued and knowledgeable member of our Concierge team and he was very happy to see his name in print! We always endeavour to deliver a 5 star standard and quality of service and I was exceptionally pleased that we met all of your expectations.

I always enjoy reading our guests reviews and to hear that we are a “top place” is an added bonus. I hope that you will choose to return to Edinburgh and the Scotsman and look forward to hopefully welcoming you back in the future

Reviewed 5 May 2012

Fantastic location between the Princes street and the royal mile! helpfull friendly staff . Exceptional service, great choices, no matter what your budget and always made to feel special!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

I was pleased to hear that not only did you enjoy a stay that worked with your own budget but that we made you “feel special” too; I hope to welcome you back to the Scotsman in the future.