“the restaurant”
Review of The Scotsman Hotel

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #84 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 12 November 2012

the food was excellent ,the staff very good .the only issue we had was they were changing wine suppliers ,we requested a bottle of wine of which they did not have the bar staff supplied a lesser quality wine with out our prior knowledge of which we refused to drink ,so we chose something else to drink .this was the only downside to a great stay

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank joeholland87
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Operations Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2012

I am sorry that you had a small problem with the wine that you ordered however I was pleased to hear that this was only a small downside to an otherwise “great stay.”
We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these and enjoyed your stay.
I hope that you will chose to return to us in the future and look forward to perhaps welcoming you back to the Scotsman

Reviewed 12 November 2012

Just returned from a one-night stay to celebrate my husband's birthday and to go to a rugby match. Hotel staff were very polite and helpful. On arrival were told we had been upgraded from an Editor's room to a Publisher room but what we got was a fairly cold, shabby (stains on carpets, sofas and curtains and the curtains were badly frayed) dungeon located next to the boiler room with a view of a brick wall - definitely not what was described for either an Editor or a Publisher room, not worthy of 5 stars and not worth the considerable sum I'd paid. Complained to reception and after 1 1/2 hours of to-ing and fro-ing we were able to move in to a more acceptable room with a view over the city. Although much happier with this room I would still say it only rated 4 stars (really good sized room and bed but decor and carpet stained and worn in places; some stains on bed throw, slippers and doors, all of which could easily have been cleaned). I've stayed in better 4 star hotels so where's the extra wow factor for the 5th star ?

Had been looking forward to using the spa before dinner but didn't have time due to the delay with the allocation of our room. Breakfast was very good (we were on a B&B rate) and we liked the fact you could choose anything from the cooked menus as well as helping yourelf to the continental buffet. Excellent choice and well cooked.

Overall, a good hotel with helpful and polite staff and good food but overpriced and not worth a 5 star rating.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NicksyM

Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.

I was sorry to read about your disappointment with your original room that was allocated to you but pleased that we were able to offer you a room that more suited your personal expectations.

As we are situated in the centre of Edinburgh City and hold an enviable position on the edge of North Bridge we are surrounded by the buildings of the Old Town of Edinburgh. We always endeavour to allocate our guests rooms with views across the city however I’m sure you can appreciate that due to our position this is not always possible.

I would like to apologise that you feel that we did not justify our 5 star rating to you during your stay and would like to offer you my assurance that Preferred Hotels, Visit Scotland and The AA run several audits throughout the year and we are proud to maintain our rating with them.

I hope that you will allow us the opportunity to redeem our good name with yourselves and that we will see you back at the Scotsman in the future

Reviewed 11 November 2012

Great location from train station, shops, bars & restaurants. Received an upgrade on arrival & got a lovely big room & huge bathroom, very comfortable bed.
Used the spa facilities, not treatments just pool area, steam & sauna. So relaxing my partner fell asleep on the poolside beds!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Embody

Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.

We always like to upgrade our guests where possible to add to their experience; I am very pleased to see that you were given the opportunity to enjoy one of our beautiful suites and that the standard was the high level at which we pride ourselves.
I hope that you will return to stay with us in the future and we look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed 10 November 2012

I have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Scotsman with my daughter, we booked a 2 day spa package & it was excellent! From first walking in we were greeted by friendly welcoming staff. Andrew showed us to our room & explained the working for us, then left us to look around. The room was lovely, with views over the street to Princes street & beyond. We had evening meal on our first night as part of the package & this was a very nice meal, again staff very friendly. Breakfast was enjoyable with plenty of choice. We booked afternoon tea at the hotel which was fab, my daughter throughly enjoyed this as she has a wheat intolerance, but had the choice of a completely gluten free afternoon tea!! a special mention to Angela in the restaurant, she was very polite & informative & remembered about my daughter & her gluten free diet & brought gluten free toast with her breakfast without been reminded. The spa was another enjoyable part of our stay & 3 treatments were included in the package. Had a swim & jacuzzi in the lovely pool after the spa. We would definately return to this hotel & recommend to anyone thinking of staying there. We hope to return in the future.

Room Tip: We had a deluxe twin looking over the bridge, lovely views
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family

We like to deliver a truly 5 star “Scotsman” experience to our guests; our staff always endeavouring to be professional, friendly and offer the very best service at all times, I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these throughout your stay.
I would like to thank you for your kind compliments in particular about Angela; I have already personally passed these onto her and our Food Services Manager, Samantha Slight
It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s reviews and to hear that you will be returning to stay with us in the future is an added bonus; we look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed 8 November 2012

We stayed at The Scotsman Hotel in October as we had tickets for Phantom of the Opera so wanted something central. They dont have a car park they just share with the train station. Wasnt too far as you could use a back door but as we have a baby wasnt great for us. The room was nice and I couldnt really fault it. We had lunch in their restaurant and I wouldnt really rate it. I ordered a drink and something was floating in it and then the food came and it wasnt really 5 star food. We booked this room without realising breakfast wasnt included but this was our own faults for not noticing. Breakfast was rather expensive at about £16.50 each.

All in all was a nice hotel but wasnt 5 star in our opinions. I wouldnt go back in a hurry.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Thundercatsgirl

Although we don’t provide a car park at the hotel; our guests receive a discounted rate at the local public car park which is only a 3 minute walk away from the Scotsman. I’m sorry that this was a disappointment to you; as one of the traditional Victorian buildings in the city we are unable to accommodate our own car park and for this reason have never advertised this service.

I would like to apologise for your disappointment in the evening meal that you had with us; our Executive Head Chef, Paul Hart proudly produces some of Edinburgh’s finest cuisine and as you will see from the majority of reviews on websites such as Trip Advisor we are proud to be known for the high standard of our menu and service.

I can offer you an assurance that our menu is priced competitively with all other 5 star city centre restaurants in Edinburgh; however I am sorry that we have not met with your personal expectations

Reviewed 8 November 2012

Directly opposite Waverly Train station, we had just taken the overnight train from London.
Hotel is located one block off The Royal Mile, so the location was perfect! I can't say enough about the entire Staff, everyone, from Nick, whom we first encountered, to everyone after,
was most anxious to be helpful, in any way. My room was so spacious, and the bath! I took a bath every single day, so luxurious!! I cannot wait to go back and will recommend it to anyone I know considering a long overdue trip to this most gothic, magical place................

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am pleased to see that you experienced the team’s professionalism and friendliness.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Scotsman in the future

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 November 2012

Great old building fantastic interior, breakfast and dinner good. strange place to navigate round and no parking but close to station and NCP park down road.
Staff seem to ok sometimes but a bit slow on other.
My room was on 9th floor and really nice but it was a suite.

Room Tip: can not speak for other rooms but 9th floor rooms were really good
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

The Scotsman hotel was originally home to the famous Scotsman newspaper and we are very proud that when the renovation took place to become the hotel it is today, a lot of the traditional features were kept. We believe this adds to the originality and quality of our rooms and suites.
I must admit to being surprised to read that you our staff did not meet your personally expectations; as you can see from the majority of reviews on this website our staff are our shining beacon and endeavour to deliver an exceptionally high standard of service throughout our guests stay. I am sorry that you feel we did not achieve this during your stay
I hope that you will perhaps return to stay with us in the future and offer the Scotsman the opportunity to redeem our good name