“Quirky hotel in great location”
Review of The Scotsman Hotel

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #84 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
“Quirky hotel in great location”
Reviewed 19 November 2012

We stayed here on a Sat night for a night without the kids break! First of all the location of the hotel is great, just off the Royal Mile.
Check in was quick and easy.
I wasn't blown away with my first impression of the room. It was ok but nothing special. We had a deluxe room but only a double bed in it. There was ample enough space for a king size bed which I would have thought is standard in a 5 star hotel. The mini bar was also just plonked in the room almost as an after thought. The bed however was very comfortable. Also whoever thought that the 'cathedral window' shaped mirrors in the room looked good needs shot!!
My only other gripe would be the sink in the bathroom. There is not much space to put your toiletries as the sink unit was do small.
The shower however was first class. Great water pressure and decent enough shower gel/shampoo.
I had a couple of hours to kill as my wife was shopping so I went down to the bar. The lager selection was great and the view from the bar stool looking out onto Carlton hill was excellent.
The breakfast in the morning was ok with plenty of selections.
The staff throughout the hotel were great and friendly.
In conclusion whilst the Scotsman is not as good as the Balmoral along the road it is a decent hotel in a great location and its also slightly cheaper than the Balmoral. I would have no problems with staying here again.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank BigAlfife
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Operations Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, 23 November 2012
Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.

All of our rooms and suites house a selection of queen, double and king size beds as well as twins to enable to us to cater to as many of our guests requests as possible; I am sorry that your bed did not meet your expectations and would kindly request that you state your preference for a king size bed should you choose to return to stay with us in the future.

As the Scotsman, we were originally home to the famous Scotsman newspaper and are very proud that when the renovation took place to become the hotel it is today, a lot of the traditional features were kept. This means that all of our rooms are individually sized and styled giving a real feeling of originality and quality to all of our rooms and suites.
We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these and enjoyed your stay.
I was pleased to read that you will be returning to stay with us in the future and we look forward to welcoming you back

Claire Thomas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (452)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights with friends on my recommendation. On arrival we were greeted by a very nice young lad who showed us to our room. One of our party uses a mobility chair and his consideration of this when selecting a suitable room with access was greatly appreciated.

Both of the rooms were clean and tidy, as you would expect of a hotel of this standing, however...on closer inspection the paint was flaking off of the bottom of the bathroom door, and the walls in the corridors were showing the signs of many an encounter with errant suitcase, not would you would expect!!

The location is excellent and within easy walking of all that you need. The only negative during our stay was the the tall, sullen barman who served us our drinks. He seemed to think that he was doing us a favour serving us. I paid for a beer where the barrel needed changing..20 mins later, no drink, no apology and no response. Another barman apologised and gave me a drink "on the house" which I had already paid for!!

Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman.

We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am pleased to see that you experienced the team’s professionalism and friendliness.

I would like to apologise for the service you have commented on in our bar; this is certainly not the standard of service that we are proudly known for and I was very surprised by your comments, please be assured that these have been addressed with our Food Services Manager.

Once again, thank you for your review and I hope that you will perhaps choose the Scotsman again should you visit Edinburgh in the future

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Stayed here for one night and was upgraded from low level room to a suite.

The room was beautiful and had views over Edinburgh that were hard to beat.

Breakfast in bed was nice, had lovely views over Edinburgh to enjoy with my breakfast.

Only downside was room was hot and struggled to get it cooler and was certainly not opening windows when it sounded like a hurricance outside.

Night porters were fantastic, Nick was a standout.

Room Tip: They are all good, quit moaning
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.

We always like to upgrade our guests where possible to add to their experience; I am very pleased to see that you were given the opportunity to enjoy one of our beautiful suites and that the standard was the high level at which we pride ourselves.
We like to deliver a truly 5 star “Scotsman” experience to our guests; our staff always endeavouring to be professional, friendly and offer the very best service at all times, I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these throughout your stay.
We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the Scotsman in the future

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2012

Lovely hotel with attentive staff. Breakfast was not included in price 12.95 for continental and 16.95 for full breakfast. If you want food delvered to room its a 5 pound tray fee. Only complaint was coffee was cold on second day and eggs benedict was made differently each time ordered. Remote on tv would get stuck. Room was ok kinda small but we had booked a deal it was the study room. Nice to have hatch where items can be dlivered discreetly. Had great views. Restaurant steak was very oid a bit pricey but very oid. Nice cocktails but once again on pricey side around 8.95 a cocktail. Could do with some upgrading. Staff were extremely attentive and friendly. Spa was lovely worth a vsit

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple

I would like to offer you an assurance that our menu and drinks are priced competitively with all other 5 star city centre restaurants and bars in Edinburgh; however I am sorry that they did not meet with your personal expectations

Once again, thank you for your review and we hope we can welcome you back in the future

Kirkwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2012

We stayed for only one night prior to heading off to my sister's wedding.
We arrived from the airport bus ( a short walk) Up the steps..hint- there is a lift! and there we were. WOW!
The door was opened for us, the lovely reception staff welcomed us as if royalty and Tony showed us to our room.
It was absolutely gorgeous in every way. I had my son with us and his sofa bed was already made up. (I have lost count of the amount of times i have stayed places and they forget to set up his cot and now bed is unreal- it was a pleasant surprise!)

I can't believe anyone could say this place is not 5 star. I have stayed in Marriot and HIlton 5 star resorts and hotels and this is the best! So refreshing to see decor that doesn't look like it came out of a catelogue and the same as everywhere else. This place has taste and class galore! The room 806 was huge, high ceilings and well furnished- it felt like a suite- a sitting area with a fireplace and art on the walls. I thought i'd won the lottery- talk about value for money!

i will go on! Toiletries were gorgeous, sweets in the room ( my boy was delighted) and a mini bar to die for!

I wished we hadn't booked for the theatre that night as i wanted to hang out in the hotel and the room more!

Next morning we were off to the train station ( took the lift this time!) and we were accross the road from the entrance- could not have been closer. Ignore any review which say otherwise- these are ridiculous- you could not get closer if you slept on the platform.

Perfect- can't wait for an excuse to go back!

Room Tip: our room 806- view of Calton hill
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
I would like to thank you for your kind compliments regarding our staff and in particular Tony who was very pleased to read your comments; we are proudly known for the 5 star standard of service that our team offers and I was pleased to read that you experienced this during your stay.

It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s reviews and to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much is an added bonus; we hope to welcome you and your family back again in the future
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2012

This is a most impressive building. We were given an upper floor room with a small study in ther corner turret.
Excellent staff and a real pleasure to be based here for a whistletop visit to this beautiful city.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
I’m pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay so much and look forward to welcoming you back in the future
scotland
Reviewed 16 November 2012

This 5star Hotel is well situated near Waverley Station, with access from the Market Street Exit by lift. The Hotel is set out confusingly mainly due to its former use as the Offices for the Scotsman Newspaper. Reception could have been more friendly and the lifts are very slow indeed. Staff are helpful and rooms are sometimes on the dark side with paucital lighting. The Brasserie serves good if not outstanding breakfasts. Not overpriced.
All in all a convenient city base.

Room Tip: One with Views of the city rather than the dull internal non vista
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank vincitveritas
Thank you for taking the time to record your comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel.
The Scotsman hotel was originally home to the famous Scotsman newspaper and we are very proud that when the renovation took place to become the hotel it is today, a lot of the traditional features were kept. We believe this adds to the originality and quality of our rooms and suites.

I was sorry to read that you were disappointed with some of our Reception staff; as you can see from the majority of reviews on sites such as Trip Advisor our Staff are proudly known for their fantastic service however I am sorry that we did not meet your personal expectations.

I hope that you will return to stay with us in the future