“very good”

Ranked #90 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Durham, England, United Kingdom
“very good”
Reviewed 16 March 2013

warm welcome, free upgrade on room, pre-ordered champagne ready and cold, special surprise present for my wife in room as pre -arranged. Like clockwork. Delightful stay - just not long enough. Would go back.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Services Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2013
We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these and enjoyed your stay.
I am pleased we were able to assist you with your surprise for your wife and that everything was delivered to the standard we are proudly known for; we look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to the Scotsman in the future.
Claire Thomas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
  • Korean first
Scotland
Reviewed 15 March 2013

I recently organised a private dinner, overnight accommodation and a meeting for 60 people at The Scotsman hotel. I chose the venue for its historical factor, location and reputation and I was not disappointed! Everything from the welcome all the way through to checking out was a pleasure and dealt with very professionally. I stayed in one the suites which was extremely luxurious!! The views were amazing, the room was spotless and I loved the extra touches such as the Edinburgh edition of monopoly in the living area. The food which was served for our private dinner was 5 star delicious!
I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank LJD78
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.
It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s reviews and to hear that you will be recommending us to family and friends is an added bonus; We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am pleased to see that you experienced the team’s professionalism and friendliness.

I look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to the Scotsman in the future.

London
Reviewed 13 March 2013 via mobile

had a great stay in one of the suites, thought the hotel and spa were on the whole excellent. My only very small criticism is that I found the service at Breakfast and Dinner somewhat slow and pedestrian got the impression the staff were half asleep and not particularly proactive, and the fruit juice should be freshly squeezed!

but on the whole was a very enjoyable stay

Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.

I would like to offer my apologies that our service in the Brasserie has not met with your personal expectations; as you will see from the majority of reviews on websites such as Trip Advisor this is certainly not the standard of service for which we are proudly known and I was concerned to read that you had left with this opinion.

From the title of your review I was delighted to read that you still enjoyed a “great stay” and hope that you will choose to return to us in the future when I am certain you will experience the service levels for which we are known.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2013

We were only in Edinburgh for one night but wanted to celebrate a birthday in comfort and style. On arrival we were greeted warmly and as it was a quiet Sunday evening we were offered an upgrade to a beautiful suite with great views over Princes Street. Ross at reception was very helpful and when I asked where I could buy a Sunday paper he offered to get it for us, and brought it up to our room.
The Health suite was lovely, the rooms well appointed quiet and luxurious, and breakfast the next morning - excellent.
Throughout, the staff were charming and helpful - altogether a superb overnight city break.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
We always like to upgrade our guests where possible to add to their experience; I am very pleased to see that you were given the opportunity to enjoy one of our beautiful suites and that the standard was the high level at which we pride ourselves.

I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the Scotsman in the future.

Orkney Islands, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Stayed here with my sister and mother as a treat on our last night in Edinburgh.....WOW...I had stayed a few years ago with my husband for an anniversary weekend and I can only say it was as good as the first time....As we arrived we were met by the doorman, with an offer of help with the bags....checked in and were taken to our room, on the 9th Floor...Oh My Goodness....this room was 5*.....so after walking around the room in awe for 10 mins, we decided to had downstairs for Cocktails, very good and very reasonable for a 5* establishment....
Upstairs to freshen up before Dinner, and what a Dinner, one of the best meals in a long time, service excellent......Had a great night’s sleep and down for breakfast, Eggs Benedict which were perfect....lots of options, fruits, fresh and dried, cheeses, meats, different breads, pastries etc...and the full hot buffet options....
We got a great deal on this hotel, we were going to stay at the airport hotel for convenience, but this hotel was not much more (and we were lucky to get a complimentary room upgrade), looking forward to returning soon, with hubby, friends or family...Always check out the late deals hotel pages....

Room Tip: The higher the better I believe........
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank lorna m
We like to deliver a truly 5 star “Scotsman” experience to our guests; our staff always endeavouring to be professional, friendly and offer the very best service at all times, I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these throughout your stay.
It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed a return visit to us and that it was to the usual high standard for which we are known; I am delighted to read that you had the opportunity to enjoy our Brasserie for cocktails as well as dinner.
We look forward to welcoming you and other members of your family to the Scotsman again in the future.
Edwardsville, Illinois
Reviewed 11 March 2013

My wife and I and a friend stayed here during our trip to Scotland. We stayed three nights and four days and had a wonderful experience. The rooms were well appointed and unique in shape, design, location. the bathrooms were modern and the room had all the necessary amenities. The location of the hotel was also very convenient for touring along the Royal Mile. What made the the stay special was the outstanding service. Everyone -- front desk, door man, and concierge -- were outstanding. All were well informed and accommodating. It was a pleasure staying at the Scotsman mostly because of the friendly and very helpful service. We would definitely return to the Scotsman.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Services Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2013

It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s reviews and to hear that you will be returning to stay with us again in the future is an added bonus; we look forward to welcoming you back.

Westmont, Illinois
Reviewed 10 March 2013 via mobile

My family stayed here during a trip to Edinburgh. The hotel was great. The staff went above and beyond to make sure we had a great stay. The room we had was just lovely. Modern bathroom, furnishings and a comfy bed. The swimming pool was also very luxurious.

The bar area is rather modern. The service was first class. I ordered a martini and the barman made sure it was made to my liking. A nice touch.

We also had breakfast- it was awesome. The sausages were sooo very tastey. I also thought the breakfast was good value considering the quality and location.

I've also stayed in the Balmoral- I think this hotel is equally as good- if not better due to the service. I will be back!

• Stayed March 2013
I was pleased to read that you had the opportunity to experience our Spa facilities as well as dining in our Brasserie during your stay and that everything was at the high standard for which we pride ourselves.
We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the Scotsman Hotel in the future.