“So welcoming”

Ranked #88 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Newcastle upon Tyne
“So welcoming”
Reviewed 17 April 2013 via mobile

Our room was on 8 floor and lovely. The staff were friendly, very helpful ...easy to approach. If you are not happy about anything just ask. The staff will oblige. We were treat with respect and care. Breakfast plentiful and enjoyable. Very warm hotel. Spa great. We enjoyed our special occasion

• Stayed April 2013
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Services Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, 19 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.
We like to deliver a truly 5 star “Scotsman” experience to our guests; our staff always endeavouring to be professional, friendly and offer the very best service at all times, I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these throughout your stay.
I hope you will choose to return to stay with us in the future and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Scotsman.
Claire Thomas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Korean first
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 16 April 2013

We were awoken around midnight by heavy, base-pounding techno music permeating the very walls of our executive room. When we called reception at 1:00 am, we were told that "the club" would not close until 3:00 am. We later found out from two Edinburgh police constables that there is an independent club in the lower floors of the hotel building, over which the hotel has no apparent control. The hotel's staff, including its general manager, apparently prefer to deny the existence of this night club and simply refer to the booming techno music heard in the hotels' rooms as "city noise"! Unbelievable!

The housekeeping staff was slow and, despite an absence of over four hours, our room had not been made up. We had to leave the room and forego our planned afternoon nap. Upon escaping to the Brasserie, we were ignored by the waiting staff for a considerable time before insisting someone take our order.

An extremely disappointing stay, further exasperated by the staff's denials of the hotel's (not the city's) noise pollution problem.

Room Tip: Anything below the fourth floor is awful. I cannot comment on other floors.
1 Thank Christine L
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Services Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman and I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments.

Since our personal correspondence following your stay with us I was pleased to read that you had confirmed that the origin of the noise disturbance was from a company out with the control of the Scotsman as we had discussed. The Scotsman hotel holds an enviable location in the very heart of Edinburgh city centre and for this reason we are subject to the noise pollution of a capital city, I would like to reassure you again that we make every effort to endeavour to ensure that our guest’s receive the relaxed and peaceful stay that expect.

We always look to deliver to offer our guest’s a 5 star standard of service and I am extremely sorry that you feel we have not met with your personal expectations during your stay; I would like to thank you once again for your feedback.

Redhill, Surrey
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Our stay at the Scotsman was perfect from start to finish.

We visited at a very special time of year for us. It was mine and my husband's first wedding anniversary and my father's birthday. My parents had never been to Edinburgh and always wanted to go so I bought their flights and accommodation as a gift. I contacted the hotel in advance of our stay to ask some questions about the rooms before booking.

I expressed how much I would love to book the editor suite for my parents as my Mum loves a bit of history and I wanted my parents to enjoy a bit of the history of Edinburgh as it was their first time. However, I couldn't afford it after paying for 4 flights so I went ahead with deluxe doubles which looked lovely too.

We arrived to check in and were so very touched that my parents had been allocated the editor suite at no extra cost. It meant so much to me as it was a special occasion for them and their first impression of Scotland - what a good one to have! My husband and I had also been allocated a suite on two floors that was just gorgeous and very romantic. Absolutely first class service!

The staff really do make this place. They are charming, sincere and warm. Whenever I walked through the lobby, there was somebody to wish me good morning or good evening and flash me a kind smile. For me, it's these things that warrant the 5th star. Every member of staff that I met was kind, discreet and genuine.

The breakfasts at the north bridge brasserie were consistently excellent and fairly priced. We didn't use the pool in the end but my parents did and they said it was lovely. We didn't get to use the little cinema but loved the concept and hope to use it next time we stay in Edinburgh.

Thank you so much to all of the people at the Scotsman that made us feel so special. Your efforts have gained you 4 very loyal customers who will continue to recommend you to all friends who visit Edinburgh in the future. Keep up the good work.

Room Tip: Treat yourself to an editor suite.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family

We always like to upgrade our guests where possible to add to their experience; I am very pleased to see that your parents were given the opportunity to enjoy one of our beautiful Editor rooms and that the standard was the high level at which we pride ourselves.

We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am pleased to see that you experienced the team’s professionalism and friendliness.

It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s reviews and to hear that we were able to contribute to your enjoyment of such a special occasion is an added bonus; we certainly hope to welcome you back to the Scotsman in the future.

Athens, Greece
Reviewed 14 April 2013

For a city hotel this is a great location with all the amenities that you need. The room was perhaps a little on the small side but had everything you needed and it is nice and close to the shops and tourist attractions in Edinburgh. Breakfast was good and the service friendly and pleasant. If I came back to Scotland I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Services Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2013
It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s reviews and to here that you would choose to return to stay with us in the future is an added bonus; We certainly look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to Edinburgh and the Scotsman.
Many Thanks
Eastbourne, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2013

We stayed at The Scotsman the week after Easter and had a great time. The staff were very helpful and The North Bridge Brasserie is excellent. The hotel is very central and a great base for exploring Edinburgh and the surrounding areas. We would like to go back very soon and have no hesitation in recommending it. Our room was lovely too with fab views across the city.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these and enjoyed your stay.
It is wonderful to hear that you hope to return and that you will be recommending us to your friends and family; we look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the Scotsman in the future.
Medford, New Jersey
Reviewed 14 April 2013

The hotel staff couldn't be more attentive. We were made to feel very welcomed and all needs were quickly attended to. We were also upgraded to a deluxe suite with a beautiful view of the Sir Walter Scott Monument. The room was spotless (most important point to me).
Another recent reviewer was not impressed, but after reading the entire review, I think this person was more displeased with the restaurant than the hotel. I felt that, that should go into a review about the restaurant and not the hotel.
I do agree that the breakfast food was awful and I include this because it was included in the cost of our stay. We skipped breakfast the second day and ate elsewhere.

Room Tip: Check the radiator because you can adjust the heat yourself.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your letter regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.
I was extremely concerned to read your opinion of the breakfast that you received, unfortunately as you have not stated in detail why you did not enjoy this I am unable to comment with clarity; I would happily look into this for you should you wish to contact me directly. Our Executive Head Chef works tirelessly to ensure that our 18ft breakfast buffet and our cooked to order fresh offerings are kept at the award winning standard for which we are proudly know, I am however, sorry that we have not met with your personal expectations.
I hope that you will choose to return to Edinburgh and the Scotsman and we would like to opportunity to welcome you back.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2013

My husband and I stayed here to relax after our wedding. We booked the Romance Package which cost £290 for champagne & truffles in the room, dinner in the Brasserie, bed & breakfast. We spent the next day in the spa.

The welcome at reception was frosty, altho the concierge was fantastic. The suite was lovely & the meal in the Brasserie was adequate.
Unfortunately, when we went up to our room after dinner & cocktails the bed had not been turned down or spread with rose petals-- I was really looking forward to this as a surprise for my husband & it was the main reason for booking this package-- reception did not seem particularly apologetic when I informed them.
The following morning our room service breakfast was late, this was totally inconvenient as we had treatments booked in the spa, hence our leisurely breakfast together as newly weds consisted of me eating alone while my husband had his treatment & then he had his breakfast cold. I called reception several times asking where our breakfast was but there was little in the way of apology when it did arrive.
When we checked out of the room the receptionist deducted £15 from our bill as this is what the rose petals would have cost, a totally disproportionate compensation for poor service, and I would not recommend this package to anyone.

Overall, there are much better hotels, restaurants & spas in Edinburgh and surrounding area. We could have spent 2 nights at Norton House for the same price as this package, part of me wishes that we had.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mairi M
Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.

I was concerned to hear that you considered your welcome to the Scotsman to be a “frosty” one; as you will see from the majority of reviews on websites such as this we are proudly known for delivering an exceptional level of customer service and I am sincerely sorry if you did not receive this.

I have already addressed the issues with regards to your romance package with our department managers and I am sorry that we have not delivered on the items you booked, this is certainly not the level of service at which we pride ourselves. As I do not have you personal details from this review I am sorry to say that I am unable to comment with clarity as to the reasons behind this, however please feel free to contact me directly should you wish and I will happily investigate for you.

I hope that you will give us the opportunity to treat you to a true Scotsman experience in the future and I would ask that you contact me directly to allow me assist you with your reservation.