“great hotel, great service, great staff”
Review of The Scotsman Hotel

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #91 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
glasgow
“great hotel, great service, great staff”
Reviewed 29 April 2013

I had a surprise break here last week with a friend. My husband had been arranging some surprises for me during my stay with Emma at reception. Emma was extremely helpful and very nice. Was really good to put a face to a name as my husband said even via email emma could not have been more helpfull.To be honest' everyone from the concierge who met us with a welcoming smile at reception, the rather good looking barman who opened our fizz at 2 am early saturday morning and the girl who gave me the most amazing massage were all superb. Hotel great, the bar is a little on the small side but there is a residents lounge downstairs. Pool and spa facilities great.

I would not say its a really grand hotel but it is lovely and comfortable, more of a boutique hotel, very central with a great spa. The staff topped it off, a must if visiting edinburgh

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Services Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.

I was delighted to hear that your pre-arrival communication your husband had with our Reception Manager, Emma was everything you needed and that you enjoyed your surprise stay with us so much.
We like to deliver a truly 5 star “Scotsman” experience to our guests; our staff always endeavouring to be professional, friendly and offer the very best service at all times, I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these throughout your stay.
I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Scotsman in the future
Claire Thomas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
  • Korean first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2013

I have just return from a two night anniversary stay at The Scotsman and what a treat. The hotel is wonderfully located for all the sights of Edinburgh. From check-in to check-out the staff were wonderful, attentive and friendly. We stayed in a deluxe room and although we were on the roadside of the hotel there was no traffic noise and I did not hear any noise from pedestrians below.
The breakfast was big and had everything you needed with some wonderful cooked options. All in all a very relaxing stay and I would thoroughly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these and enjoyed your stay.
It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s reviews and to hear that we were able to contribute to such a special occasion is an added bonus; I look forward to hopefully being able to welcome you back to the Scotsman in the future.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 April 2013

My wife and I spent three sleepless night at the Scotsman in April. Although the location of the hotel is excellent it also appears to be on the route taken by every late night reveller leaving the central Endinburgh area. Our room on the seventh floor at the front of the hotel was therefore treated to a barrage of noise both from those leaving bars at 2am and from the road traffic. We were unfortunately obliged to keep our windows partially open due to the fact that our room was unbearably hot and air conditioning is not an option. One can only imagine what is must be like in mid summer and perhaps the large fan in the closet was a sign of what can be expected. No air conditioning in a hotel that claims it is "5 stars??!!. Apart from the noise, our bed had a mattress that sank alarmingly in the middle and had a spring that made an audible "boing" as we tossed and turned in sleepless frustration.
The final straw during our 3 nights of sleep deprevation was the fire alarm going off not once but 3 times on our final night at approximately 2am. As if this was not bad enough the hotel lacks the ability to communicate with guests over a loud speaker meaning that as the alarm was ringing on the first occasion I and probaly every other guest were attemting to raise the hotel operator to find out whether the alarm was false or not. It took almost 3 minutes to get through, which had the situation been a real emergency which thankfully it was not, would have been a lifetime if the hotel was indeed on fire. The fact that no attempt was made to contact us and we had to find out for ourselves what the situation was because the hotel has no way of communicating with guests other then by phone is in my opinion a serious safety concern.
Although the hotel staff are polite and helpful I am in complete agreement with an earlier review concerning the staffs constant questioning of "where we were going , what we were doing and whether we were enjoying ourselves". By our second day this had crossed the line from polite interest to really annoying!

Room Tip: If you decide to stay at the Scotsman insist on a room that does not overlook the front of the hotel
1 Thank kenneth y
Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity to apologise to you.

I was extremely concerned to read of your experience during your stay with us and I am sincerely sorry that we have not met with your personal expectations during your visit.

We always endeavour to offer our guest’s a 5 star standard of service as I am sure you will see from the majority of reviews on websites such as Trip Advisor and we take all of our guest’s feedback very seriously. I would like to thank you, once again for taking the time to write your review and I would ask that you contact me directly to allow me to investigate your comments personally.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 25 April 2013

I travelled with my mum to scotland and we couldn't find ourselves a hotel until someone on the street recommended this hotel. Well it was the most amazing hotel I have ever stayed at. The staff were excellent especially the concierge Nick and Ivor and the night manager Phillip. They went above and beyond to help us out. Can not wait to stay here again and I would recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone. Very well priced and the restaurant was delicious. The best steak I have ever had. Thanks so much.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family

I have already passed on your kind comments to Nick, Ivor, Philip and our Rooms Operations Manager and I would like to thank you for taking the time to write to me with your compliments.

I hope that we will have the opportunity to return to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 23 April 2013

For a five star hotel The Scotsman was passable. Nothing more, nothing less. Welcoming reception area, and good food in the restaurant. We had three rooms and some of the mattresses were VERY soft, preventing a truly good nights sleep. Main downfall of the hotel was the intrusiveness of the staff; asking invasive questions, one after the other persistently, is not five star service. One major benefit of the hotel however, is its proximity to Edinburgh's train station; just across the road.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Services Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, 24 April 2013
Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.
I have spoken to our Head Housekeeper with regards to the mattress in your room; we have regular checks on all of our mattresses to ensure that they are as they should be and ensures that any repairs required are carried out. I’m sure you can appreciate that each of our guest’s have their own opinion and requirements when it comes to mattress comfort and it is, unfortunately, not possible for us to meet everyone’s expectations; I am sorry that this disturbed your stay with us.
With regards to your comments about the “invasiveness” of our staff I was shocked and concerned to hear this; as you will see from many of our reviews on websites such as Trip Advisor our staff always endeavour to offer a 5 star standard of service and I apologise if we did not meet with your personal expectations on this.
I hope you will return to Edinburgh and the Scotsman Hotel and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2013

We had lunch in the brasserie and have to say the food was excellent as was the service the young hungarian waitress was a treat to be served by very friendly I even spoke to the manager about her she was lovely and it is people like her you need in this day and age to bring in the customers.
Highly recommended!!!!!! and great value we done it on a Travelzoo deal

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s reviews and to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of your meal with us is an added bonus; We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am pleased to see that you experienced the team’s professionalism and friendliness.

I hope you will return to dine or stay with us again in the future and look forward to welcoming you back to the Scotsman Hotel.

Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Had lunch in the very attractive and atmospheric Brasserie.Service was swift,polite and unobtrusive.The food was appetising and perfectly presented: the home-made banoffee ice cream was the best we had ever tasted.

Room Tip: Only there for lunch.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the North Bridge Brasserie; I was delighted to read that it was at the usual high standard at which we pride ourselves.
I have already passed on your comments to our Executive Head Chef and hope that you will choose to return to stay with us again in the future.