“A mixed bag, but disappointed.”
Review of The Scotsman Hotel

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #84 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 9 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 5 nights from 30th September for our honeymoon, perhaps our expectations of a 5* hotel were set too high but we were left very much disappointed. Although the room was nice, small but cosy, it could have been made better if the window was bigger as to see out of the window I had to stand on toes to see out.
The bathroom was quite nice and the shower was lovely!
The food in the hotel was lovely and my husband says the burger is the best!
The concierge team were all very friendly and helpful.
The spa was lovely but unfortunately no treatments were available due to staff training all week (it would make more sense to do half of the staff one week and half another week so that services could continue rather than offer no treatments/services at all. But never mind!)
The location was very handy being next to the station and in centre of Edinburgh we could walk to most places except the zoo but that is only a short taxi away.
What really let the hotel down was the service we received. We had pre paid for our week stay and also paid for rose petals and sparkling wine as it was our honeymoon. On arrival they charged us again for the room, we had to go back to reception and inform them we had already paid and had to sort that out. Then come evening after 'turn down' we had the rose petals which were lovely but no sparkling wine - we had already questioned where it was on check in but they said this happens when they do the 'turn down' service. We then felt annoyed and did not want to have to complain again on the first day as you can imagine we wanted to enjoy our first night of honeymoon without hassle. We had to ask about the wine twice the following day before eventually they sent it to the room.
Another annoying point is that we had to ask twice for the monopoly pieces to be sent to the room to use the monopoly board supplied in the room.
Also the room service trays were often left out on the landing always outside our door which was quite an eye sore having to look at other peoples old breakfast plates whilst going to our own room.
For a 5* hotel we would expect better. And in fact we have received far better service from much less extravagant hotels. And therefore we were very much disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank M0LM0L
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Service and Administration at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.

I do apologise you were unable to receive any spa treatments whilst you were here, we were working closely with another spa in the city centre that were offering appointments to our Guests when required i am sorry this wasn't made available to you.

As you point out we are very privileged to occupy such a fantastic city centre location, being close to the historical centre, fabulous shopping and very easy access to the train station.

I am very disappointed to hear that you had to question the items that were included in your package, please be assured this is not the normal procedure and I will take your comments on board and pass these on to all relevant departments.

Once again thank you for your comments and I hope that if you do choose to return to stay with us you will contact myself directly to arrange your reservation.

Laura cooper

Write a ReviewReviews (2,453)

Reviewed 7 October 2013

We stayed for two nights at the start of October and I would not have wanted to stay any longer. The staff at reception were very helpful and we were shown to our room by a very pleasant young man who explained the workings of our room .Other than that, there was little else I could recommend to others about this hotel. I realise our room was just a basic double but there was nothing about it to suggest it was a 5 star hotel ... the tv remote control did not work; the temp thermostat beside the bed did not seem to be connected to anything (we left a note for housekeeping regarding these points but no-one got back to us); the room was booked as a double but was made up as twin beds (this was noted when we arrived and we were told that room service would change this when we were out but this didn't hapen); the room got very hot at night and we had no choice but to open the windows; the noise from the street meant that we got barely any sleep both nights. We booked for two nights bed and breakfast but frankly the service and quality of the breakfast on the first day meant that we looked elsewhere on the Sunday morning to eat - no explanation on what was available or how to order, we had to request milk for our tea, we had to request salt and pepper for our the table, the cooked Scottish breakfast, when it eventually arrived, was no better than any you could buy in a coffee shop nearby, the plates were not cleared away and the staff were extremely inattentive to their guest's needs. Whilst I realise that individually these are all minor niggles, when they were all put together over a two night stay the overall experience was extremely dissapointing for a hotel of this calibre.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

With regards to the comments you made regarding your room, I cannot clarify with clarity regarding this as I am unaware of the room you were allocated, I will however pass these comments on to the maintenance department.

I am very disappointed to hear of your experiences with breakfast on the first morning of your stay, this is unacceptable and I will pass these comments on to our Brasserie manager to investigate.

Once again thank you for your time and I hope in future we will be able to welcome you back.

Laura cooper

Reviewed 7 October 2013

We recently went to Edinburgh for a mini break. My brother in law mentioned this place saying it was amazing and the stake was nothing like you've ever tasted. The service was top notch start to finish I would highly recommend

• Stayed: October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.

We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these and enjoyed your stay.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

We spent one night in the Scotsman in the junior suite room 200 05/10/13
The suite was lovely decorated, very spacious and really clean.
Hotel staff are all very pleasant and helpful.
Great breakfast .
The hotel is in a brilliant central location, a minute walk from the Waverly train station and plenty of bars and restaurants.
So what's the but!! Well we had a terrible nights sleep due to the noise coming from a function below us. I was so tired and it put a cloud over what was a very nice stay. I was just about to phone down reception to complain when it stopped.
We spent a lot of money for a nice relaxing night away only to come back totally shattered.

Room Tip: Ask if there is a function on and if so ask if your allocated room is affected by the noise.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am pleased to see that you experienced the team’s professionalism and friendliness.

I do apologise that you were disturbed by a neighboring function, we do normally receive prior warning for these such events, an I am sorry to say we didn't on this occasion.

I hope this will not affect any further decisions to stay with us and we will be able to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

I chose this hotel for an overnight stay before a trip on the Royal Scotsman. From the description on the website, it sounded like a perfect place to start what was going to be a luxurious holiday. Unfortunately the promises of rooms filled with original features - fireplaces, wooden panelling and so on - turned out to be false. I booked an exclusive room which, although large, was bland and badly laid out. It had all the character and charm of a Travel Lodge.

The bathroom was very small with an over bath shower far too powerful for the screen to contain. I spent a happy 15 minutes mopping up water from the floor. Not very five star!

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you for your recent review regarding your stay with us.

I do apologise that the room you were allocated was not to your expected standards. the Scotsman hotel is housed in the building that was originally the home of the famous Scotsman newspaper. We are very proud of the fact that during the conversion to the hotel as it is today a lot of the traditional and quirky rooms were kept as close to their original layout as possible. As no 2 rooms are the same I’m sure you can appreciate that we are unable to describe every room on the internet or guarantee a certain kind.

I hope that you may choose to return to stay with us in the near future and ask that you contact the hotel directly to guarantee you are given the room you request.

Reviewed 5 October 2013

We paid in advance for two deluxe rooms for a visit to Edinburgh either side of a highland tour on a recommendation. On arrival we were given dingy tired rooms just above the station despite booking rooms above the base standard. We queried this - stating that the quality of the rooms in no way resembled the photos on the hotel website - and were informed that this category of room had since been merged with the standard rooms. We could not be moved due to full house.
On a positive note the hotel is in a great location and the two gentleman running the concierge desk could be considered world class. The rooms were spacious (despite the worn fraying carpet and tired beds) and the bathrooms excellent and well supplied.
On return from our tour we were told we had no booking despite having written confirmation that we had booked and paid for the rooms. We were again given poor rooms which we had changed. However on departure we were told that our second visit had not been paid for despite having computer generated receipts from the hotel. Further investigation showed that the hotel had in fact not processed the payment for the stay (for which we had confirmation stating that we had paid) for two months after we booked and paid inline and then this was processed in two parts. The second of which did not go through and the hotel failed to inform us of this nor hold the booking. This shows the poorest of administrative standards which could have caused great inconvenience had the hotel been full. The duty manager apologised but demanded further payment without us being able to check credit card records regarding their claims. The angst caused by The Scotsman was just not worth it - especially when travelling internationally - and the quality very disappointing. Definitely not worth the tarrif.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your recent review regarding your stay at The Scotsman.
I am sorry to hear that your stay you feel wasn’t to our usual five star Scotsman standard for which we are proudly known. I cannot comment regarding the booking process for your reservation as I am unaware of your room or Name for the booking.
I do ask however that you contact me directly if you would like to discuss this further.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

Lovely hotel that delivers elegance in its lovely setting overlooking George Bridge.
The room were a little warm and no air con so had to use the windows to ventilate the room.

Breakfast is till 10 am . You should really get down there after 9 to ensure a leisurely time, I arrived at 9.30 and was rushed to sit down and order immediately
Whilst eating at just turning 10 the bar was opened and was made to feel like I should leave. Apart from that the evening meal was superb ! So compliments to the chef for both breakfast and dinner. EXCELLENT .

Stayed: September 2013

Thank you for your recent review regarding your stay with us.

I am very sorry that you were made to feel rushed when dining in the brasserie at breakfast please be assured that is never the intention of the Scotsman team and I am highly disappointed. Thank you for your kind words regarding dinner I will pass this onto our chefs as I am sure they will appreciate these comments.

Once again thank you for your review and I hope we have the chance to welcome you back in the future.