“Not 5 Star Quality”
Review of The Scotsman Hotel

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #84 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Very disappointed with my recent stay at The Scotsman Hotel. Paid 5 star prices for an average experience. Started with a terrible, strong smell in the lift that reminded me of rotten eggs. My 6th floor room was lovely but the smell was also in the room. Started getting a headache from the smell and asked for another room. Was moved to a room that I can only describe as an attic. The carpet was threadbare and the walls dirty.

The next day asked for another room and was moved to another room which was nice but by no means 5 star quality.

The restaurant service was greatly lacking and the food just so-so.

Cannot recommend the hotel and will not stay there on my next trip to Edinburgh. I have stayed at The George previously and have been very happy.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 18 October 2013

Sixtieth Birthday Treat. I decided to take my wife on a surprise trip to Scotland for her special birthday. The train stopped below the hotel. There was a lift at ground level taking us up to the reception on the fourth floor. The hotel is five star, and was worth every one. Spa facilities which were booked in advance (recommended) as an extra present from our daughter. Swimming pool, hot tub and steam room available for all guests. Following a small problem with our room the staff were very helpful, and even upgraded us to the Penthouse. We can recommend the Gourmet Restaurant in the Hotel. Certainly a wonderful stay of two nights, positioned between the Royal mile the Galleries and Princes Street. Tour buses are guided and gives you top information of Edinburgh and the location of all the major attractions.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ron S
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I was a guest at a private dinner.

The room was fabulous (the whole hotel is a grand marble and stone former newspaper office)

The service was impeccable - attentive, discreet, friendly

The whole experience was let down by the patchy quality of the food. Some dishes (e.g. duck) were great - but many people left their traditional fish and chips, and the steaks were grey and tasteless and served with a grey mushroom and chips (nothing else)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Service and Administration at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your recent private dinner with us.

Our restaurant, the North Bridge Brasserie was originally the trading room for the famous Scotsman newspaper; this was where the local businesses and people of Edinburgh came to place their adverts and purchase papers. With the stylish wrought iron balcony, majestic marble pillars and 20th century wood panelling, I agree that the restaurant does have “amazing” characteristics.

We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these and enjoyed your stay.
I am very disappointed to hear that your visit was let down by a few of the dishes served, this is not the usual Five star standard of service we are proudly known for.

Once again thank you for your review and I hope to be able to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 9 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 5 nights from 30th September for our honeymoon, perhaps our expectations of a 5* hotel were set too high but we were left very much disappointed. Although the room was nice, small but cosy, it could have been made better if the window was bigger as to see out of the window I had to stand on toes to see out.
The bathroom was quite nice and the shower was lovely!
The food in the hotel was lovely and my husband says the burger is the best!
The concierge team were all very friendly and helpful.
The spa was lovely but unfortunately no treatments were available due to staff training all week (it would make more sense to do half of the staff one week and half another week so that services could continue rather than offer no treatments/services at all. But never mind!)
The location was very handy being next to the station and in centre of Edinburgh we could walk to most places except the zoo but that is only a short taxi away.
What really let the hotel down was the service we received. We had pre paid for our week stay and also paid for rose petals and sparkling wine as it was our honeymoon. On arrival they charged us again for the room, we had to go back to reception and inform them we had already paid and had to sort that out. Then come evening after 'turn down' we had the rose petals which were lovely but no sparkling wine - we had already questioned where it was on check in but they said this happens when they do the 'turn down' service. We then felt annoyed and did not want to have to complain again on the first day as you can imagine we wanted to enjoy our first night of honeymoon without hassle. We had to ask about the wine twice the following day before eventually they sent it to the room.
Another annoying point is that we had to ask twice for the monopoly pieces to be sent to the room to use the monopoly board supplied in the room.
Also the room service trays were often left out on the landing always outside our door which was quite an eye sore having to look at other peoples old breakfast plates whilst going to our own room.
For a 5* hotel we would expect better. And in fact we have received far better service from much less extravagant hotels. And therefore we were very much disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank M0LM0L

Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.

I do apologise you were unable to receive any spa treatments whilst you were here, we were working closely with another spa in the city centre that were offering appointments to our Guests when required i am sorry this wasn't made available to you.

As you point out we are very privileged to occupy such a fantastic city centre location, being close to the historical centre, fabulous shopping and very easy access to the train station.

I am very disappointed to hear that you had to question the items that were included in your package, please be assured this is not the normal procedure and I will take your comments on board and pass these on to all relevant departments.

Once again thank you for your comments and I hope that if you do choose to return to stay with us you will contact myself directly to arrange your reservation.

Laura cooper

Reviewed 7 October 2013

We stayed for two nights at the start of October and I would not have wanted to stay any longer. The staff at reception were very helpful and we were shown to our room by a very pleasant young man who explained the workings of our room .Other than that, there was little else I could recommend to others about this hotel. I realise our room was just a basic double but there was nothing about it to suggest it was a 5 star hotel ... the tv remote control did not work; the temp thermostat beside the bed did not seem to be connected to anything (we left a note for housekeeping regarding these points but no-one got back to us); the room was booked as a double but was made up as twin beds (this was noted when we arrived and we were told that room service would change this when we were out but this didn't hapen); the room got very hot at night and we had no choice but to open the windows; the noise from the street meant that we got barely any sleep both nights. We booked for two nights bed and breakfast but frankly the service and quality of the breakfast on the first day meant that we looked elsewhere on the Sunday morning to eat - no explanation on what was available or how to order, we had to request milk for our tea, we had to request salt and pepper for our the table, the cooked Scottish breakfast, when it eventually arrived, was no better than any you could buy in a coffee shop nearby, the plates were not cleared away and the staff were extremely inattentive to their guest's needs. Whilst I realise that individually these are all minor niggles, when they were all put together over a two night stay the overall experience was extremely dissapointing for a hotel of this calibre.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

With regards to the comments you made regarding your room, I cannot clarify with clarity regarding this as I am unaware of the room you were allocated, I will however pass these comments on to the maintenance department.

I am very disappointed to hear of your experiences with breakfast on the first morning of your stay, this is unacceptable and I will pass these comments on to our Brasserie manager to investigate.

Once again thank you for your time and I hope in future we will be able to welcome you back.

Laura cooper

Reviewed 7 October 2013

We recently went to Edinburgh for a mini break. My brother in law mentioned this place saying it was amazing and the stake was nothing like you've ever tasted. The service was top notch start to finish I would highly recommend

• Stayed: October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

We spent one night in the Scotsman in the junior suite room 200 05/10/13
The suite was lovely decorated, very spacious and really clean.
Hotel staff are all very pleasant and helpful.
Great breakfast .
The hotel is in a brilliant central location, a minute walk from the Waverly train station and plenty of bars and restaurants.
So what's the but!! Well we had a terrible nights sleep due to the noise coming from a function below us. I was so tired and it put a cloud over what was a very nice stay. I was just about to phone down reception to complain when it stopped.
We spent a lot of money for a nice relaxing night away only to come back totally shattered.

Room Tip: Ask if there is a function on and if so ask if your allocated room is affected by the noise.