“Excellent stay”

Ranked #93 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
wakefield
“Excellent stay”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I booked this hotel as a treat for my 40th birthday.
The welcome was warm without being overpowering. We were shown to the room by Barry who knew everything about the hotel and local area.
The room was a classic room and was beautifully presented.
The breakfast is geeat with a good choice, both buffet and others such as eggs benedict or finnanh haddie for a different start to the day.
We came bqck to our room later in tbe day and found a bottle of prosecco bubbly and chocolates for my birthday from the hotel. This really my my stay special.
I cannot recommend this hotel enough. I agree it is on the more expensive side however if you can or its a special occasion, splash out. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
Wallasey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Fantastic Hotel. Everything perfect for a very special celebration. It couldn't have been any better.
From the moment we arrived and were shown to our upgraded room. We were treated with lovely, friendly and attentive staff. Amazing surroundings from the room, the bathroom, the built in hidden wardrobes and everything hidden in beautiful wooden panneling and to the view. I would recommend everyone to visit this magnificent hotel for any special occassion. I would stay more often if I had more Holidays from work and a little more money. The food in the restaurant was splendid and the cocktails amazing.

Room Tip: I doubt very much that this hotel has any room's that you would not be delighted with.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Even though I work in Edinburgh a lot and know the city well I went a bit round the houses - (or castle!)to get find this venue! It's in a very lovely area of the city its quite understated compared to other hotels and reception is but a low desk, which does kind of reflect the feel of this hotel smart but low key! Got a cracking deal for the room as I booked quite late and was really impressed with the quality - normally you are stuck above reception (see another of my reviews) or by the lift or other annoying noisey locations as its the room they cant shift but, no, in this case a lovely room very comfy, delighted with locaton and view. I will return to enjoy what Im sure would be a very delicious breakfast!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one night as a treat to ourselves away from the children. Reception was lovely and the staff were excellent however we were a bit disapointed with our room. Large and spacious yet lacked wow factor. We have stayed in far superiour rooms in lower graded hotels. The bed was super comfy though!!

1 Thank Jill B
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to voice your views about your recent stay with us here at The Scotsman Hotel. I am very pleased to hear that the team made you feel welcome, and you enjoyed our lovely beds. Regarding your room, I am sorry to hear that you felt we lacked the ‘wow factor'. Should you decide to return to Edinburgh and the Scotsman to go someway to redeeming our good name please contact me directly to allow us to offer you our best available rate and perhaps a complimentary upgrade to one of our sumptuous suites!
Warm regards,
Vicki
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed 9 December 2013

in Edinburgh 6th December, booked the Scotsman hotel as its near to everywhere which was correct the location is great , very disappointed with the room 904, very small and in need of a makeover, not that we stay in the room but for the price not a patch on McDonald Holyrood Hotel we stayed in mid November at a quarter of the price and just 5mins walk from there. Rooms was clean enough 1 comfy chair and small table plus dressing table with hard backed chair, tea, coffee all the usual you would expect in a good hotel, bathroom nice and clean, bed comfy enough, room very cold in the afternoon no controls to adjust the heating, Plenty choice at breakfast, all very nice friendly staff, for the little bit extra it would have cost would rather have booked the Balmoral.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank moira053
Thank you very much for your comment regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made. The Scotsman hotel is housed in the building that was originally the home of the famous Scotsman newspaper. We are very proud of the fact that during the conversion to the hotel as it is today a lot of the traditional and quirky rooms were kept as close to their original layout as possible. As no two rooms are the same I’m sure you can appreciate that we have many different shapes and sizes, the same as many old buildings.

I would like to thank you for adding your kind words about the staff who served you whilst you were staying with us. We pride ourselves on providing the finest Scottish hospitality, and it is always fantastic to hear feedback like this.

Thank you again for taking the time to get back to us, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Scotsman in the near future.

Warm regards,

Vicki
Wigan,England
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We stayed for three nights for my husband's birthday and had booked in advance directly with the hotel to receive a good deal. We checked in and were shown to our room to find we'd been upgraded to a Director Suite free of charge - a lovely surprise! The room itself was lovely and as it was on the 8th floor, was very quiet and soooo comfortable with complimentary Scotch, fluffy white towels and the comfiest bed ever. The staff couldn't do enough to help and every request was catered for including sending me the stuff I was stupid enough to leave in the room after we checked out.
The breakfast was good quality, fresh and plentiful, ranging from full cooked, continental and the usual fruit, cereal, breads and smoked salmon. We ate in the restaurant one evening and had drinks in the bar every evening - the food was beautiful and the ambience in the bar chilled and relaxed.
We had treatments in the spa and spent time in the pool/Jacuzzi etc and it's very much recommended. The massages and facial were so relaxing and as an infrequent partaker of treatments, I was made to feel comfortable and at ease whereas in some places I've been before I felt a bit odd and self conscious.
The hotel is located between old and new towns so perfectly located for exploring the city and the concierges are really knowledgeable, doing their best to find dinner reservations, give advice on trips and sights to see and making sure we had as a good a stay as possible.
As first time visitors to Edinburgh, we loved the city and will definitely be back and wouldn't dream of staying anywhere other than The Scotsman.

Room Tip: Upper floors are obviously quieter but as this is a city centre hotel there can be a little noise wh...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Curley1
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We checked in, for a three night stay, relatively late on the evening of Thursday November 13th. With two young children in tow, we were quite anxious to get into our rooms and the children into bed.
We had booked a Publisher suite (2 adults & 2 children) and an Editor room (2 adults) and I had requested that the rooms be alongside or near each other. We were disappointed to be told that unfortunately, although the room numbers were quite close together, the rooms were actually on opposite sides of the building. Also, the requested cot and additional single bed were not in our room upon arrival.
I have to say that we were not happy with the first impressions regarding service. However, Ross (concierge) was fantastic in dealing with our issues. He personally commandeered a cot and before long we had it + a bed set up and ready to use. He also spent some time in reception organising a complimentary upgrade of the second room to a Publisher suite located right across the hallway from us- not an easy feat since the hotel was by all accounts at or near full capacity for the weekend ahead.
Our room was a duplex suite with table/chairs + couch-bed, TV and mini-bar downstairs and a main bedroom and bathroom upstairs. The panoramic view from upstairs took in the rear of many of the historical Royal Mile buildings, Edinburgh castle, the train station, and Princes Street off to the right side as we looked out. Although not the height of luxury, the suite was nevertheless quite comfortable and very Scottish. The other suite had an additional toilet downstairs and a much larger upper floor space; yet was a little sparse in interior decor for my liking. Nevertheless, my mother and sister were delighted with the room so no complaints on that count.
We were up and away early the next morning for my graduation ceremony in Heriot Watt University. On our return, we intended to dine in the hotel but lunch finished serving at 2pm. Ross gave us a great recommendation for an Italian restaurant just a few doors away at the corner to the Royal Mile. We wanted something informal with good food but where we could relax with the kids- it was a perfect fit for us.
We were a bit stumped on what to do with the children in the evening. I asked at reception about the cinema and was later led there by Ross with the whole gang in tow. The 50 seater cinema was powered up especially for us and the kids got to enjoy Peppa Pig on the big screen for the first time. The staff later dropped in complimentary popcorn and ice cream for all of us- a really nice touch. I have to say that it made our stay- the kids (2 year old and 4 year old) were delighted and we had a very comfortable hour or so.
Another nice touch was a complimentary bottle of champagne and a congratulatory note on my graduation. As a brewing & distilling graduate, I was also delighted with the complimentary whiskey that was placed in our room each night.
For whiskey lovers, make sure to enjoy the whisky/food tasting in the bar. It was great value at under £20 and included some lovely 12 year old whiskies + accompanying nibbles like pear, fudge, chocolate, and smoked cheese.
The breakfast is fantastic. I've stayed in plenty of 5 stars and my favourite meal of the day, the Scotsman is up there with the best of them. There was the usual cereals, fruits, yoghurts, breads, cold meats, hot meats, juices etc. I'd heartily recommend the smoked salmon and the sausages- quality Scottish produce. In addition, we could order 'a-la-carte' from the kitchen and we enjoyed beautifully prepared American pancakes, poached eggs and eggs Benedict. There was also a special treat each morning: a kid-sized hot chocolate with marshmallow for our 4 year old.
The restaurant/bar is beautiful and overlooks the busy street that links the Royal Mile (Old town) with Princes Street (New town) via a bridge that crosses above the busy Waverly train station. It's a great spot to relax in comfort whilst right in front of you the crowds and traffic battle the elements and about their business. It can get quite busy at times so it is a good idea to reserve tables ahead of time.
The hotel is uniquely laid out: a mish-mash of old buildings on several levels and with two main street access points. Nonetheless, we had no problems finding our way around. The bonus of this hotel is location. Scottish weather and children do not make for a happy mix so it is great to be so close to both the Royal Mile (just a few feet one way) and the main shopping street just across the bridge the other way (5 minute walk).
The spa/pool was another great option to have and we duly obliged. The facilities were top class and we generally had the pool to ourselves on the both occasions that we used it. The pool/jacuzzi, sauna, steam room area is more modern in style to the rest of the hotel in a dark, moody style. It works really well and again, I'd recommend to include it in your itinerary.
Ross was superb and gave us great suggestions for the one night I got to hit the town with my wife. We love vintage cocktail bars and amongst others, he suggested a quirky cocktail venue called Voodoo Lounge (if memory serves me correct). It suited our taste so much that we decided to stay there all night!
Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We were made to feel like the only guests staying at the hotel. After initial teething problems, the staff went above and beyond to make our stay memorable. The Scotsman is for you if you enjoy old style hospitality, historical buildings and a great location.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, go for a Publisher suite. The views are fantastic and the rooms are spacious a...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family