“The best old hotel”
Review of The Scotsman Hotel

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #73 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 16 December 2013

My husband and I went to Edinburgh for some days before travelling to Whitby. This hotel is fantastic. Many different rooms and we lived on the top with a fantastic viuev over the town.
Its a old renovated hotel and everything was nice. The reseption has a fireplace with sofa and chairs where you can relaxe and read newspapers.
We also used the spa and fitnesroom, and the restaurant has a nice atmosfare and exelent food. You could choose sitting down or upstais in the restaurant.
For breakfast you go to another place in the hotel. Very good breakfast. I eat egg benedict every day wich tasted exelent.
Total this hotel is exellent and everybody should visit this hotel if you go to Edinburgh.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,595)

Reviewed 16 December 2013

came here for a last minute afternoon tea. lovely room and tables and ambiance though no settees. Afternoon tea was lovely and cakes christmas themed. The profiterole tasted a little strange - only reason for downgrade. Staff very helpful.Nice and central too.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to get back to us regarding your recent afternoon tea. I am glad you enjoyed out lovely Christmas cakes, I shall let our Executive Chef Paul Hart know of your comments. The profiterole on the afternoon tea menu was butter scotch and white chocolate, a unique twist to a classic.

Thanks again,

Vicki

Reviewed 15 December 2013

My friend and I booked into the Scotsman for a girly weekend and from the check in to the check out, I can honestly say this was one of the best hotels for customer service I have stayed in.

The check in was efficient and friendly and we were upgraded from an Editor's Suite, to a Publisher Suite which was very spacious with its own dining and seating area and free whiskey! Fraser, the concierge, showed us to our room and then brought our bags down promptly. Please note, the reception of the hotel is on the 4th floor or the building and some of the rooms are on the 3rd floor, so is a little bit quirky.

The hotel organised a cab for us quickly in the evening to take us to dinner, and were very welcoming on our return asking if they could help in any way before we returned to our suite.

Breakfast in the morning was wonderful! A huge selection of cereals and freshly squeezed juice, with a hot selection (the usual fayre) along with al a carte items which could be cooked to order by the chef should you wish. The ambience in the restaurant was very pleasant and again, the staff were very efficient and polite making sure that everything was "just so".

Upon check out, we asked to store our bags so we could continue shopping, which was catered for without any trouble at all and on our return, the concierge went out of his way to help us with our onward travel, even going so far as to find out which platform my friend's train would depart from!

All in all an excellent stay and a very well done to all at the hotel for making our weekend so memorable. I am sure to return!

Room Tip: The suites are well worth the extra monies if you want space.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Great hotel located perfectly for walking in a superb city. Hotel staff was terrific, accommodating and helpful with information and suggestions. Easy access to major attractions. Restaurant in the hotel was outstanding. Would recommend this hotel and will be delighted to return. Spa was fine with a stainless steel swimming pool that my wife couldn't resist.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gregory1946
Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

I took my other half here for a surprise birthday weekend. The accommodation and spa were first class and the level of service was the best I've ever known. Ate in the hotel restaurant and the food was fabulous!!! Can't fault this hotel so if your looking for somewhere a little special this is the place and its location is perfect.
Two places that are a must to a Christmas visit in Edinburgh is The Dome on George street where the cocktails are fabulous and worth the wait to get in. We ate at the Witchery which is lovely if you want a lovely romantic place with excellent food.
Love Edinburgh and can't wait to come back

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I booked this hotel as a treat for my 40th birthday.
The welcome was warm without being overpowering. We were shown to the room by Barry who knew everything about the hotel and local area.
The room was a classic room and was beautifully presented.
The breakfast is geeat with a good choice, both buffet and others such as eggs benedict or finnanh haddie for a different start to the day.
We came bqck to our room later in tbe day and found a bottle of prosecco bubbly and chocolates for my birthday from the hotel. This really my my stay special.
I cannot recommend this hotel enough. I agree it is on the more expensive side however if you can or its a special occasion, splash out. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Fantastic Hotel. Everything perfect for a very special celebration. It couldn't have been any better.
From the moment we arrived and were shown to our upgraded room. We were treated with lovely, friendly and attentive staff. Amazing surroundings from the room, the bathroom, the built in hidden wardrobes and everything hidden in beautiful wooden panneling and to the view. I would recommend everyone to visit this magnificent hotel for any special occassion. I would stay more often if I had more Holidays from work and a little more money. The food in the restaurant was splendid and the cocktails amazing.

Room Tip: I doubt very much that this hotel has any room's that you would not be delighted with.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple